The End of Boris

Soldato
Letting Omicron rip through the population is the only thing we can do.

Nothing could have stopped it apart from full on lockdown and quite frankly **** that.

Really? Most European countries have had a different policy. Indeed all other home countries have had a different policy.

Caporegime
All the European MPs and papers are also saying the exact same thing, that Covid will become endemic.
There is nothing the UK has to make it endemic in the UK particularly earlier, and in fact the whole thing doesn't make sense at a country level. Covid will be endemic when globally it is endemic. When that happens is completely unpredictable, but does depend on vaccination in the rest of the world, and what the next mutation brings

Im not arguing that it wont become endemic. My issue is with certain MPs who were saying it is already endemic weeks ago.

Caporegime
Im not arguing that it wont become endemic. My issue is with certain MPs who were saying it is already endemic weeks ago.

yeah, i was agreeing with you.

my main point bis the right wing press seem to be using this story to show how much better the UK's approach was ans that the UK wil be nearer to am "endemic" than those torrid EU countries.

yet the EU press and politicians are going eith the exact same "soon will be endemic" story, just without the Rule Britannia, praise be to Boris that the UK press seems to regurgitate.

Soldato
Letting Omicron rip through the population is the only thing we can do. Short term pain l, long term gain or death if

A your A anti Vax idiot
B your at risk and quite frankly that's your own responsibility now
C your venerable, sorry about this disease but the majority need to crack on have as many jabs as you see fit every year.

Nothing could have stopped it apart from full on lockdown and quite frankly **** that.

Nothing practical no. Been saying that from start no way any western European country could stay covid free.
Vaccines are doing an amazing job. But they don't stop it spreading.

It's always been a falacy we could keep covid out entirely

Covid is one of the few things I don't think has been too badly handled by government in the later stages. There is no need for another lockdown.

Obviously the parties are something else. Now that is lynch worthy.

All other aspects? Yeah get him out.

Soldato
Nothing practical no. Been saying that from start no way any western European country could stay covid free.
Vaccines are doing an amazing job. But they don't stop it spreading.

Nobody I have heard has said it could be kept out of a country. You do not understand the vaccines we currwntly have. They are to lessen your chances of getting a serious case and dying. Nothing else.
It's always been a falacy we could keep covid out entirely

Nobody has ever said that.

Covid is one of the few things I don't think has been too badly handled by government in the later stages. There is no need for another lockdown.

Given the number of deaths and the size of the population this Govt have handled it badly. Dithering and delaying. The policy of herd immunity etc.

Obviously the parties are something else. Now that is lynch worthy.

All other aspects? Yeah get him out.

Even some Tories disagree. The main point about the parties, regardless of whether he attended them, is that like any organisation the man at the top sets the tone for the organisaeion. If he had been for sticking to the rules like everyone else then these other parties would not have happened.

Soldato
How do you know when the wave has not even finished in Europe. Given more people in lots of European countries are fully vaccinated they will probably come off better.
Like they have in every wave so far, we have one of the highest per capita death rates in the world and one of the biggest economic impacts one thing we can all safely say is the pandemic could have been handled a lot better! Those with the lowest death rates have had the lowest economic impact is definitely the lesson to take away!

Soldato
Nobody I have heard has said it could be kept out of a country. You do not understand the vaccines we currwntly have. They are to lessen your chances of getting a serious case and dying. Nothing else.

Nobody has ever said that.

Given the number of deaths and the size of the population this Govt have handled it badly. Dithering and delaying. The policy of herd immunity etc.

Even some Tories disagree. The main point about the parties, regardless of whether he attended them, is that like any organisation the man at the top sets the tone for the organisaeion. If he had been for sticking to the rules like everyone else then these other parties would not have happened.

There have definitely been people, including on the forum, who seem to think we could achieve what NZ achieved. Personally I don't think that would ever be possible

Caporegime
There have definitely been people, including on the forum, who seem to think we could achieve what NZ achieved. Personally I don't think that would ever be possible

Not forever but at the time it was all about buying time so you can find vaccines, beef up hospitals, buy ppe etc and not have to have draconian measures like nationwide lockdowns.

It has always being about slowing it down and making it manageable.

Soldato
And it made no difference.
If people go to party in England and then come back of course the effects of these policies will be limited. We have free movement in the UK, what England does has a profound effect on the rest of the UK, unfortunately.

Soldato
Ive got to say Ive never got that impression. Certainly not on here. This is what they call fake news.

You are confusing no cases with low cases.

Caporegime

not many people think that

IMO, the UK coukd have reduced deaths by maybe 20-25% if it followed stricter policies, acted quicker, and better organized its approach to the extent that other western European countries did. But that doesn't set a high bar really, all of Europe vould have done better.

And that is deaths. If you look at people with lobg covid and lost productivity due to people quarantining due to Boris' let it rip approach, then the UK does substantially worse.

And all for no gain. The UK is no closer to ending Covid than any other country. This will only be over when it is globally endemic

Soldato
Ive got to say Ive never got that impression. Certainly not on here. This is what they call fake news.

You are confusing no cases with low cases.
That's not quite correct, I've said that I think we could have got a hell of a lot closer to New Zealand's stellar performance than we did (not that we could necessarily match them), given we are an island, an advanced economy and with a world class scientific community and health service. We didn't because we dithered and delayed at the crucial time unlike them and pursued unethical experiments based on pseudoscience like 'herd immunity' instead. We did particularly badly in Europe for this reason, but all of Europe pursued a similar failed policy to one degree or another. The Far East and the Pacific in general did much better than us, maybe we should have asked them for their expertise given they dealt with a SARS coronavirus before.

Soldato
That's not quite correct, I've said that I think we could have got a hell of a lot closer to their stellar performance than we did, given we are an island, an advanced economy and with a world class scientific community and health service. We didn't because we dithered and delayed at the crucial time unlike them and pursued unethical experiments based on pseudoscience like 'herd immunity' instead. We did particularly badly in Europe for this reason, but all of Europe pursued a similar failed policy to one degree or another. The Far East and the Pacific in general did much better than us, maybe we should have asked them for their expertise given they dealt with a SARS coronavirus before.
You may have got me wrong. Im saying we could have gone for lower cases and stayed there. We did everything wrong even our lockdowns.

Soldato
You may have got me wrong. Im saying we could have gone for lower cases and stayed there. We did everything wrong even our lockdowns.
I should really have replied to the person you were replying to. I believe the same too, but that would mean doing things the New Zealand way to at least some extent.

Soldato
Letting Omicron rip through the population is the only thing we can do. Short term pain l, long term gain or death if

A your A anti Vax idiot
B your at risk and quite frankly that's your own responsibility now
C your venerable, sorry about this disease but the majority need to crack on have as many jabs as you see fit every year.

Out of interest, how many close family/friends do you have who fall under "at risk" or "venerable" (or for that matter vulnerable)?

Associate
That's not quite correct, I've said that I think we could have got a hell of a lot closer to New Zealand's stellar performance than we did (not that we could necessarily match them), given we are an island, an advanced economy and with a world class scientific community and health service. We didn't because we dithered and delayed at the crucial time unlike them and pursued unethical experiments based on pseudoscience like 'herd immunity' instead. We did particularly badly in Europe for this reason, but all of Europe pursued a similar failed policy to one degree or another. The Far East and the Pacific in general did much better than us, maybe we should have asked them for their expertise given they dealt with a SARS coronavirus before.

We weren't dithering, our government was getting drunk every friday.