1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of selling game codes you get from buying a new GPU on the Members Market.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ace Modder, 2 Feb 2017.

1. Ace Modder

Antec Rep

2. BriT

Mobster

lol tight *****. You pay £600 for a 1080 or whatever and they are worried about you making 40 quid from selling them?

3. asim18

Capodecina

lol what next...

They will start having DRM just to install drivers lol, you will only be able to activate your graphics card once. You wont be able to sell your old graphics cards on eBay because the market for used GPUs is thriving and eBay are taking 10% of the sales while nVidia gets zilch.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2017
  4. Ace Modder

Antec Rep

Silly isn't it. Surely the games are meant to be a nice way to enhance the sales by offering a nice extra, but this is screwing that up for people now.

I hope AMD smash Nvidia with their new cards now. Nvidia forcing people to tie steam/uplay/origin accounts to GEFORCE experience. I wonder if they are doing this so they can slurp up your gaming data habits to sell on. Either way, its crap.

5. Feek

Commissario

Before this discussion gets right under way, please do not turn it into an AMD vs Nvidia thread.

6. Ace Modder

Antec Rep

7. adolf hamster

Sgarrista

Surely its ok if you already have the game?

8. neil_g

Capodecina

If the article is correct and you never actually get a code to sell on, you just won't be able to sell it.

9. Ace Modder

Antec Rep

Well reading the article, I have a feeling you get a code you put into GEFORCE experience which will check you have the relevant card, so you could in theory sell to somebody who has the same card, but that limits your customer base I suppose.

10. Five.Stars

Mobster

Will it not be a case that you will redeem code via GE which as you say, will check you have a qualifying card. Once it validates that it will give you the key to be put in to Steam/ Origin/ Uplay to redeem?

Therefore, technically once you have gotten this code from Nvidia, you can still sell this without redeeming it yourself?

Afterall, Geforce Experience isn't a platform in itself to install games and I don't believe it links to your Steam/ Uplay/ Origin accounts!

11. Five.Stars

Mobster

And it also has to be pointed out, it has ALWAYS been against the T&C's to sell these games.

12. Kelt

Capodecina

Pretty mean spirited move from Nvidia.

If AMD do a game code giveaway in the future and don't follow suit, it would sway me to buy from them and not Nvidia.

13. Kuros

Wise Guy

A little disappointing to hear this, to be fair.

I gave away the games I got with my intel i6700k to friends (because I didn't want to play them)...

I guess this will just mean they'd sit there unused.

14. markomania

Hitman

I guess you could link your friends steam to your pc briefly so giving it to them should still work?

Still a crappy thing to do

15. Maccy

Commissario

They can continue to be sold until the block is put in place.

16. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Suspect it'll be the game publishers pushing this, not Nvidia.

I mean, why would Nvidia care?

17. Nate75

Capodecina

Good point. Also if one did and the other didn't for 2 similar performing cards it may swing you to go the other, amd?

18. Tom0

Sgarrista

What happens if you wanted to gift it to someone?

Like a friend and I swapped game codes. I had a code for a game I already had (Assassins Creed). He was in the same situation with a different game (Rainbow Six). He wanted my code, I wanted his. They were equal value at the time so we swapped and we had both games without wasting a code.

Just miserly.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2017
  19. Kenai

Capodecina

Especially so as a good chunk of those people with the same card will already have the free games from buying their own card :p

20. Hades

Caporegime

Well that's great when you want to upgrade your own card. When I next buy a card I'll just have to assume the games are worthless and consider whether the price is worth it for the card alone.