The England Cricket Thread

Soldato
What a match, never seen anything like it. Have to feel for NZ, no-one deserved to lose that, they should have shared the trophy. But that's not how it works of course, it had to be decided somehow. For those unhappy or puzzled about it being decided by the number of boundaries scored, be thankful at least that two words, Duckworth and Lewis, didn't need to be mentioned.

Associate
That's game over.
What a bunch of bottle jobs this pathetic lot are

What a ******* joke.

What I find really confusing is why commentary is still talking about an England victory? We've not been in it since the first ball.

Even the win predictor is still on 51% England

It's over lads i've turned it off. Congrats Kiwis - I told you England would choke..

The armchair experts on this forum!

Stokes deserves a knighthood for showing his true class and winning this WC for England.

Caporegime
OP
One thing I can advise from this, is to get your dough on England one day cricket team to win team of the year at sports personality and Stokes to win sports personality of the year. The double is absolutely nailed on. Will pay for your Christmas.

Soldato
Really gripping game to watch, I was convinced that England were gonna chuck it away on many occasions but hats off to them they found a way to win. All these people coming out saying they are not happy about it because it felt more like a draw need to pay attention to the rules.

Soldato
One thing I can advise from this, is to get your dough on England one day cricket team to win team of the year at sports personality and Stokes to win sports personality of the year. The double is absolutely nailed on. Will pay for your Christmas.
I'd question whether they'd give him SPOTY based on his past, might invite a bit too much controversy

Soldato
Highly likely but not 'quite' 100% nailed on yet. 2 events which could change it Rugby World Cup (can't see England winning it but you never know) and Dina Asher-Smith has been tearing it up in the sprints in athletics with the world champs to come if she wins 1/2/3 medals that might trump a split cricket vote across multiple players.

Soldato
I stand by my opinion that the top order batsman did a bit of a bottle job. Roy 17, Root 7, Morgan 9. Just not good enough in such an important match.

I don't think they bottled it. The excellent NZ bowling put them under intense pressure and deserves credit.

Both sides bowled extremely well, making the most of the conditions and the pitch, the ball was seaming around a lot. NZ also knew the pitch would get harder to play on as the match progressed which is why they took the decision to bat first.

Bowlers never get the credit they deserve when the scores are relatively low (by modern standards) in games like this, people always talk about how the batmen under performed, bottled it or made mistakes. But that's not how this match was, it was an extremely tight and close fought affair the whole way through, not just at the end.

Caporegime
Fantastic match, neither team deserved to lose tbh.

Delighted for England Cricket, mainly to know my ailing old man who’s an avid Cricket follower has got to see a World Cup win.

A great series of matches, huge drama, an epic World Cup which I expected to be a huge let down tbh.

Glad I was wrong!

Back
Top Bottom