The England Cricket Thread

Associate
How dare people have an opinion. 9 times out of 10, you don't win from there.

Those posts were made before Buttler got out. Many teams have crawled out if worse positions than that so to honestly believe that the best team in the world had lost it that early on stinks of "armchair experts"

Morgan’s was the most annoying. I’ve lost count of how many times he’s just needlessly holed out to a fielder. He gives his wicket away.

England try to dominate opposition by playing attacking cricket. Against Australia in another low target chase the plan worked perfectly and everybody sing their praises. When Morgan was in New Zealand were gaining control so he sought to wrestle that control back by attacking one of their "5th choice" bowlers.

The execution wasn't as he intended it but it's the same thought process that has ultimately led to England's success so he shouldn't change anything.

Soldato
That was the most insane cricket match I’ve ever seen. Nail biting and nerve wracking. Not even a high scoring slug fest either. I genuinely thought that England were too far behind from the start. An astonishing partnership from Buttler and Stokes made the difference today. New Zealand were really exceptional but had worse luck on the day. England made it hard for themselves. The two 8 ball overs at the death were dreadful. Similarly how the super over was won with a wide bowled is beyond me, but fair play to Archer for keeping his nerve for the rest of it.

Well done England, the team showed real grit to get back into the tournament at the final stages.

Soldato
Right. I'm not big on sport, but I've never been engrossed in a football match like that.

What affects watching modern day football, for me, is the poor sportsmanship, player power, the selfishness and mercenary behaviour, lack of honouring contracts and the general bad attitude of the players. Add that that premeiership players get paid obscene amounts of money on top and it's just a generally unwholesome spectacle.

I watch it but honestly couldn't care if I never saw another match.

Soldato
What affects watching modern day football, for me, is the poor sportsmanship, player power, the selfishness and mercenary behaviour, lack of honouring contracts and the general bad attitude of the players. Add that that premeiership players get paid obscene amounts of money on top and it's just a generally unwholesome spectacle.

I watch it but honestly couldn't care if I never saw another match.

I feel exactly the same. Football feels dead to me now because of this. The recent Women's World Cup was refreshing for being free of most of this. But there were warning signs that it's probably just a matter of time before it creeps into the Women's game too. I don't think it can all be explained by money, although this is a big part, it's also about football culture.

There's heaps of money in Tennis, but when you watch Wimbledon you see matches between players with an intense rivalry but who (with the odd exception) respect and often admire each other, with little or no sportsmanship.

Cricket is the same. Yes there's sometimes a bit of gamesmanship, the odd controversy and the sledging can sometimes get a bit out of hand (Australia *cough*), but for the most part there's an atmosphere of respect for the opponents, the rules and the officials. Look how well the NZ team took their defeat today, there was no disputes over the decisions, no bad feelings, just respect for a match well fought. I'm sure it would have been the same had England just fallen short. It was refreshing to see a game of such intensity and importance played in such a good spirit.

Associate
Never thought I'd say it but football is pretty much dead to me now. The whole money thing is distasteful and the fans are an afterthought. This match was a lesson in how to conduct yourself in the face of extreme highs and lows, well done to both sides.

Permabanned
If the England football team was in a world cup final people may be equally invested. Its not the same watching sport if its not "your" team.

Yesterday was brilliant but I will take last seasons games where Liverpool beat Barcelona and the Champions League final over it. :D:p

Soldato
Still processing the end of that game!

I don't think I've ever had my team win a game but feel so bad for the opposition at the same time. NZ played brilliantly and didn't deserve to lose. Great sportsmanship and a really tough performance on their part.

Associate
If the England football team was in a world cup final people may be equally invested. Its not the same watching sport if its not "your" team.

Yesterday was brilliant but I will take last seasons games where Liverpool beat Barcelona and the Champions League final over it. :D:p

Well I wouldn't and didn't even bother watching any champions league to be honest :D

Soldato
Never thought I'd say it but football is pretty much dead to me now. The whole money thing is distasteful and the fans are an afterthought. This match was a lesson in how to conduct yourself in the face of extreme highs and lows, well done to both sides.
I lost interest in club football about 10 years ago, it's a horrible system, but still get behind the international stuff

Soldato
I don't think it can all be explained by money, although this is a big part, it's also about football culture.
The simple problem in football is they choose to accept the behaviour, the back chat to the refs and the endless cheating could be stamped out over night but they would rather allow the players to behave they way they do.

Back on topic, what an incredible game of cricket, should have been NZ day but for a bad decision on a boundary catch (Stepping back onto the rope) and the ridiculously lucky deflection off Stokes bat they would have been home and dry. It's a cruel sport and in a tight low scoring game like that tiny margins and the rub of the green make all the difference and those things went England's way on the day. Stokes was exceptional and the calmness of Butler when he was at the crease was amazing to see, an incredibly talented group and a credit to the game. Felt so sorry for the NZ guys they did everything right an ran out of luck but the spirit the game was played in and the ridiculously slim winning margin tells you all you need to know.

Such a shame cricket will now disappear from the domestic TV schedule and almost certainly continue it's slow decline into obscurity in this country. The county game is on life support, the international game is propped up by SKY the only thing seemingly making money is 20/20 and most of that in India. Will be interesting to see if this result has any impact on the steady decline in participation.

Soldato
Such a shame cricket will now disappear from the domestic TV schedule and almost certainly continue it's slow decline into obscurity in this country
Yup. My two kids (son, 9, daughter nearly-6) both play cricket for the local club, but this was the first time the either has seen cricket on the TV. We only watched from the last 10-12 overs of England's innings, but he was riveted (daughter interested, but a bit young really and went up to bed)

Soldato
Yup. My two kids (son, 9, daughter nearly-6) both play cricket for the local club, but this was the first time the either has seen cricket on the TV. We only watched from the last 10-12 overs of England's innings, but he was riveted (daughter interested, but a bit young really and went up to bed)

It's such a shame, the last games were the 2005 ashes another huge moment and opportunity for Cricket to promote itself that was missed they are even being stupid with the radio commentary now with the BBC loosing out on a number of recent overseas tours. Every time they reduce the audience they will reduce participation which long term isn't good for the sport.

Soldato
It's such a shame, the last games were the 2005 ashes another huge moment and opportunity for Cricket to promote itself that was missed they are even being stupid with the radio commentary now with the BBC loosing out on a number of recent overseas tours. Every time they reduce the audience they will reduce participation which long term isn't good for the sport.
It's true, but on the other hand, the Allstars Cricket system that is subsidised by the ECC is probably ultimately paid for by Sky money. That's been the pathway into cricket for my two, although Mrs Cheesyboy playing women's cricket (having never played since primary age) last summer did set our daughter up well to be enthused.

Our local club has around 50+ every year doing Allstars. And we're in a village! Suspect we're a bit of an anomaly, though: certainly we're contributing more than our fair share to the county youth girl's teams (the 12-14 year old county players were the stars on Mrs Cheesyboy's team last year :D )

Associate
Not true guys- back in 2017 the ECB did a deal with the BBC to broadcast live men and women's T20s, and ODI and test highlights. Starts 2020 and it's a four year deal.

Who knows, if viewing figures are good (and we've only got ourselves to blame if they're not ;) ) we might get live tests back too.

Man of Honour
Sky were trying to say this morning that technically by the laws of the game the second 'six' should actually have only been 5 runs because when boundary overthrows occur, you are only supposed to add runs completed or where the batsmen have crossed at the point in time when the ball is thrown (they hadn't crossed). So England would have got 4 runs for the boundary plus 1 completed run instead of 2. Sounds a bit weird to me, as in 'normal' operation where it doesn't go to the boundary you can run runs whilst the ball is in flight and continue running if there is a misfield, but that's what they were saying.

Regardless, I do feel a bit sorry for NZ, just wasn't their day right from ball 1 of the England innings ("umpires call" LBW that I would said was extremely likely to hit the stumps).

Soldato
Sky were trying to say this morning that technically by the laws of the game the second 'six' should actually have only been 5 runs because when boundary overthrows occur, you are only supposed to add runs completed or where the batsmen have crossed at the point in time when the ball is thrown (they hadn't crossed). So England would have got 4 runs for the boundary plus 1 completed run instead of 2. Sounds a bit weird to me, as in 'normal' operation where it doesn't go to the boundary you can run runs whilst the ball is in flight and continue running if there is a misfield, but that's what they were saying.

I don't think this is the correct interpretation of the laws. Normally in a situation where the ball hits the runner, the runners complete the run they are on (if they have crossed) and then protocol dictates they don't attempt to run any more. Which is what happened with England. At the time of impact, the runners HAD crossed a second time and Stokes was diving in to complete the second run. So, had the overthrow been fielded and not gone for four, Stokes would have scored two runs, not one. So the correct runs were awarded, 2 runs + 4 overthrows.

Caporegime
Whether it's right or wrong, the teams accepted it at the time, the Umpires were in agreement and gave a 6 so it is what it is. Who's to say Stokes wouldn't have smashed the last ball for 4 if he thought he needed more than 2?

Back
Top Bottom