The English Channel

Caporegime
Part of the solution must be to reduce what benefits asylum seekers are able to access since we must be giving too much, we need to peg our offering to whatever the EU are offering.

Wow.

You don't even bother doing research do you.

Refugees seeking asylum get just over £5 per day and aren't allowed to work

Soldato
Wow.

You don't even bother doing research do you.

Refugees seeking asylum get just over £5 per day and aren't allowed to work

It's not about my research.

When these migrants are interviewed, their perception is that there is more on offer here than in the EU. Hence them taking the risks to get here. Maybe in a migrant camp in Calais they're getting less and no one is educating them about what they could get if they claimed asylum where they are.

Caporegime
What legal ways do they have to get in to the UK?

We have small Syrian and Afghanistan resettlement schemes, that's about it.
How many people do you think the UK could let in?

Assuming there was a legal, advertised and completely safe route into the UK. State sanctioned.

What do you think the demand would be to enter, and do you think we could meet that demand, without the UK itself turning into a slum?

Why do they want to come through Europe to get to the UK? Listening to the interviews in the Beeb today, migrants were saying it's just so much better in the UK, and after they get in, they could invite all their family in, and all their relatives. That's the impression they have, rightly or wrongly.

Should we just invite everybody from Afghanistan, Iraq, etc, to just come and settle here? Not sure you'd like the outcome of that, tbh.

The UK is a comparatively tiny land-mass, and people think it's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (quite why, is anyone's guess...)

Soldato

Assuming there was a legal, advertised and completely safe route into the UK. State sanctioned.

What do you think the demand would be to enter, and do you think we could meet that demand, without the UK itself turning into a slum?

Why do they want to come through Europe to get to the UK? Listening to the interviews in the Beeb today, migrants were saying it's just so much better in the UK, and after they get in, they could invite all their family in, and all their relatives. That's the impression they have, rightly or wrongly.

Should we just invite everybody from Afghanistan, Iraq, etc, to just come and settle here? Not sure you'd like the outcome of that, tbh.

The UK is a comparatively tiny land-mass, and people think it's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (quite why, is anyone's guess...)

We've also made the offer to take in many from Hong Kong.

Caporegime

I wouldn’t bother asking this question. Whenever you ask them about how many we should let in, they swerve the question. I asked Murphy the question about 3 times on the other thread and he completely ignored it.

Soldato
France has got a bloody cheek suggesting it's the UK's problem to police France's southern shore border. They are reporting on the beeb that the people smugglers are now carrying guns, so France has basically accepted that a province of it's nation is basically lawless where people can roam with guns. Madness! You'd have thought they would have learnt from previous terrorist incidents, what looking the other way gets you.

Soldato
They should be processed now in an East African country. If it takes roughly 8 years to process their claim based on existing reported timescales then that ought to deter a good many. If they choose to abscond from that East African nation, they're likely to return to the EU and unlikely to want to risk being returned back to square 1.

Caporegime
No. People who wish to enter the asylum process are dealt with as such. I can't imagine too many holidaymakers or actual economic migrants from stable countries will want to be filtered into the asylum route.

It seems a better solution than feeding a trafficking black market and risking further channel deaths, frankly. Which is what you're suggesting
I notice that all your responses talk about asylum seekers. Well, there's little doubt that many on these channel runs are economic migrants, is there.

When the Beeb interviews them and they all have Apple phones, many of them outright say they want to come for "a better life", which is entirely different to "escaping persecution" or "fleeing for my life". Quite often they interview Iraqis, and I'm not sure Iraq is currently that bad that you'd be fleeing in fear of your life.

They may simply believe that the UK is the place to go for better prospects. Whilst not a bad motivation, per se, it's not enough to warrant literally unlimited migration as you are suggesting. We don't hate foreigners, but you can't just relocate all the world's poor to the UK.

We would be opening ourselves not just to asylum seekers, but to people who are simply fed up of living in a less well developed country.

Whilst I have incredible sympathy for people living in **** holes, where corruption is rampant, and opportunities limited, the answer cannot be to funnel them all here, if their lives aren't actually in danger.

Now you might say, "Who would attempt that crossing if they weren't in danger?"

Well, they aren't in danger in France, for a start. But secondly, there are a lot of young men in those groups, and there will be the usual arrogance and bravado of young men. And after all, whilst not exactly safe, most of the boats do either make it across successfully or get intercepted and brought the rest of the way in safety.

Ultimately, I don't see how the UK can take unlimited migrants, of the economic kind. And I don't see how you'd stop the economic migrants. Once in the country it's too easy to just disappear.

So then what? We'd have vast groups of people sleeping rough or herded in camps living in squalor in the UK, rather than living in camps in France.

I think with what you're proposing we'd be overwhelmed quite quickly, tbh. Where would we put all the tens of thousands of people who would make a bee-line for the UK?

Permabanned
France has got a bloody cheek suggesting it's the UK's problem to police France's southern shore border. They are reporting on the beeb that the people smugglers are now carrying guns, so France has basically accepted that a province of it's nation is basically lawless where people can roam with guns. Madness! You'd have thought they would have learnt from previous terrorist incidents, what looking the other way gets you.

The French police and army have guns, they should use them!! But if I had undesirables in my garden and they were hell bent on going to the next town, I would be unlikely to try and stop them, whether their mentors were armed or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom