The English Channel

Caporegime
Apparently the UK needs to 'make itself less economically attractive' according to the French...
https://news.sky.com/story/channel-...ossing-french-interior-minister-says-12481675

LOL typical Frenchies...

The thing is this is part of the issue with brexit too (won't go too into that as there is a dedicated thread for it) - we're an island, we've generally not needed or wanted a whole new bureaucracy relating to registration for work, where you live etc.. etc.. as is common in EU countries - all the stuff about controlling EU immigration and tools being available before brexit was a bit iffy given that we don't run things like that here. That sort of stuff is much more essential in countries that aren't islands and have open borders with a bunch of other countries.

The UK would much rather stop the flow of boats coming here than overhaul the way we do things internally - a whole new load of bureaucracy, national ID cards etc..

Caporegime
What do you make of this quote from the French interior minister?

The interior minister added that there had been too many deaths and "we cannot accept that any more people die".

But he also argued that the UK had to assume responsibility by making itself less economically attractive for illegal migrants.

France has an ID card system. You can't work without your ID card and therefore it's very difficult for migrants/refugees to get work illegally.

In the UK, we have no such system, so if you disappear from the asylum system, you can still work for cash in hand, rent a room etc.

Ergo we are more 'economically' attractive than France.

Soldato
France has an ID card system. You can't work without your ID card and therefore it's very difficult for migrants/refugees to get work illegally.

In the UK, we have no such system, so if you disappear from the asylum system, you can still work for cash in hand, rent a room etc.

I'm sure there are opportunities for illegal work in the EU just as there is in the UK. Those require the employer to fund them off their books though so are breaking the law themselves on several counts.

We don't need an ID card here for employment as we have other official docs to prove ID that must be validated by normal employers since payroll is all electronic with HMRC with NI numbers etc these days.

Soldato
What do you make of this quote from the French interior minister?

The interior minister added that there had been too many deaths and "we cannot accept that any more people die".

But he also argued that the UK had to assume responsibility by making itself less economically attractive for illegal migrants.

France is playing politics, they have an election coming up and they are very much playing up to the domestic audience (taking a strong stance with the English is a vote winner).

Soldato

I.D Cards are racist though, or so we are told by the left, so we aren't allowed them here, causing people to drown in the channel crossing on rubber dinghy's, therefore its your fault they are drowning, don't you care about these people, you monster.

Caporegime
I.D Cards are racist though, or so we are told by the left, so we aren't allowed them here, causing people to drown in the channel crossing on rubber dinghy's, therefore its your fault they are drowning, don't you care about these people, you monster.

I think you'll find Labour proposed ID cards in 2002 to combat terrorism and the Tory/lib dem coalition abolished the plans in 2010.

Soldato
I think you are confusing a national if card with the current governments dubious voter I’d scheme aimed simply at disenfranchising poor people under the false flag of fraudulent voting.

Soldato
We should have some sort of camp, not put them up in quality hotels. That’s a complete ****take.
You seem to have the mistaken impression that asylum seekers are living it up like kings? The hotels are likely cheaper than running camps to an acceptable humanitarian standard something the government have proved incapable of with detention centres and prisons i general.

Caporegime
Do you ever reflect on why you so wish bad treatment upon others? I just find it incomprehensible to be so callous.
There’s nothing bad about being accommodated in a purpose built, comfortable camp with soft beds, warm rooms, bathing facilities, outside areas for exercise and recreation, on-site medical facilities and 3 meals a day.

I’m not talking about building Aushwitz

Caporegime
There’s nothing bad about being accommodated in a purpose built, comfortable camp with soft beds, warm rooms, bathing facilities, outside areas for exercise and recreation, on-site medical facilities and 3 meals a day.

I’m not talking about building Aushwitz
cheesyboy has a point. When we wish other people were in worse circumstances than ourselves then that's probably the part in the film where you press PAUSE and have a conversation with yourself.

Back
Top Bottom