The English Channel

Soldato
What has that got to do with people not caring if these kids you talk about drown? Where as a person do you have to be to not care that a pregnant woman has drowned...thats just twisted.

Ok so you take an asylum seeker in who lets say gets into an accident, not their fault whatsoever, do we just point and laugh then or what?

She probably should have been sectioned for putting a child or unborn through such actions but the EU were too busy looking the other way to care about anyone's wellbeing. It's the EU that should take responsibility for managing its own borders and not just letting hoards enter the EU illegally and then roam across it unchallenged by the authorities. Goodness knows who they've got roaming around and how many have mal intent to break laws in other ways. How are they acquiring the funds to pay the traffickers for instance, some are surely turning to crime for that.

Soldato
They should get no money or housing for 10 years.
And only free health for the kids.

Why should the tax payer, pay for these people?

The problem with that is you've let them in and if they're not getting benefits of some kind they'll be begging, borrowing or stealing. I don't wish to see more people living on the streets as that also ruins the country for everyone else.

Soldato
The problem with that is you've let them in and if they're not getting benefits of some kind they'll be begging, borrowing or stealing. I don't wish to see more people living on the streets as that also ruins the country for everyone else.

But then they will call the friends and family, telling them that the UK is not as good as they thought.
I saw a video on a news channel some months back.

The kent asylum people where asking to be let free and be given a house.
It's time to stop and look after the UK people first.

Caporegime
What has thay got to do with the disgraceful comments? And for what its worth yes I would...why wouldn't I?
OK well here's the follow-on question. At what point would you stop taking people into your house? One, two, five immigrants? Ten, twenty? Or would you say you have an unlimited/unbounded capacity to house immigrants in your own home? :p

And then think about your village, your county or the country as a whole. There's more people that want to come here (remember, not always in mortal danger) than we can realistically take in. Especially the ones that can't come here legally as they have no skills, no language, no affinity to the country. But they think they UK will take them and house them (for free) and give them a better life. That's just what they expect for some reason.

Associate
What was it, 36 thousand last year? Into a population of 65 million and the 5th richest country in the world. I think we can manage / do our bit…

What we need to do is get these people into the system and working as soon as possible. There is a jobs crisis in the UK and we need external help to fix it.

Caporegime
What was it, 36 thousand last year? Into a population of 65 million and the 5th richest country in the world. I think we can manage / do our bit…

What we need to do is get these people into the system and working as soon as possible. There is a jobs crisis in the UK and we need external help to fix it.
And how many houses did we build last year?

NHBC registered a total of 123,151 new homes in 2020
So that's a full ~1/3 of new houses being given to immigrants. OK, then...

And that was with our existing border control measures. If cheesy gets his wish we open our borders to all comers, and then it'll be closer to 100% of new houses given to immigrants!

Caporegime

This was gonna be my point on the whole thing - if we trained these guys as HGV drivers, bus drivers or whatever else we need and implement a programme to ensure that they carry their weight, this could be a win/win situation.

Of course that's a rather simplistic view of an extremely complicated situation but it's a foundation which can be built upon.

Let's be honest - the most outspoken people in this thread are demonstrably incapable of seeing past "migration bad. lock doors" rather than trying to come to a solution that would benefit not only them, but us too. They have people looking for a new life, we have a staff shortage. As @FoxEye points out, one of the biggest hurdles would be accommodation, you couldn't just build massive blocks and lump them all in there as you'll end up with crime and sanitation problems, so they'd need to be incorporated in to society gradually.

This might not even work, who knows, but I can't see much harm in doing a small trial to see how it goes. The problem is that then you'll have millions more all hoping to make it big over here which would just encourage more boats in the channel. Tricky one.

Associate
Where is your evidence that new homes are being given to illegal immigrants? I work in the new homes sector and they are predominantly (over 90%) purchased or rented to white English.

Soldato
And how many houses did we build last year?

Also net migration would be around 300k per year, not sure if that included all these illegals or not. We are importing a small city every year with no investment in infrastructure or services, people cant see a GP, NHS is crumbling and house prices are crazy but all people do is scream racism/xenophobe without looking at the root causes of the resentment.

Caporegime
Where is your evidence that new homes are being given to illegal immigrants? I work in the new homes sector and they are predominantly (over 90%) purchased or rented to white English.
Doesn't matter if it's new homes or old homes does it. It's still homes that have to be found. No, it's extra homes that have to be found.

Unless as I said earlier you want them living on the streets.

As well as homes you need school places, NHS beds, etc etc.

Caporegime
Also net migration would be around 300k per year, not sure if that included all these illegals or not. We are importing a small city every year with no investment in infrastructure or services, people cant see a GP, NHS is crumbling and house prices are crazy but all people do is scream racism/xenophobe without looking at the root causes of the resentment.
Exactly this. It's so easy for people to be "disgusted with the racists in this thread" because it makes them feel morally superior.

If they actually got their wish we'd be looking at massive Brazilian-style ghettos and slums all over the country.

And those are the places known the world over for high rates of crime, a breeding grounds for extremism, etc.

I've said in other threads that I'd love to see the UK local authorities be allowed to invest in massive house building projects, and for those to be offered at affordable rents to the low earners. But I known it isn't happening and this govt won't allow it.

So then expecting us to deal with hundreds of thousands of immigrants, on top of this already unsustainable housing bubble... well, it's lunacy.

Soldato

The root cause is underfunding by the tory government. And you're dancing to their tune.

Caporegime
The root cause is underfunding by the tory government. And you're dancing to their tune.
Because despite the Torys being awful the other parties were even less electable. Would you put Labour in power right now? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Politics in this country is a mess, but the reality is we've got Tory rule for decades. Labour are an omnishambles as are the LD. And we've got an archaic FPTP system that encourages partisanship and short-term thinking. Good luck changing any of that, the system is literally rigged against change.

Caporegime
Exactly this. It's so easy for people to be "disgusted with the racists in this thread" because it makes them feel morally superior.

If they actually got their wish we'd be looking at massive Brazilian-style ghettos and slums all over the country.

And those are the places known the world over for high rates of crime, a breeding grounds for extremism, etc.

I've said in other threads that I'd love to see the UK local authorities be allowed to invest in massive house building projects, and for those to be offered at affordable rents to the low earners. But I known it isn't happening and this govt won't allow it.

So then expecting us to deal with hundreds of thousands of immigrants, on top of this already unsustainable housing bubble... well, it's lunacy.

We’ve already seen it in Europe with the Paris banlieues. Slum areas packed with immigrants breeding extremism.

Man of Honour
Because directing that resentment towards immigrants instead of the governments who aren't building the resources you all want is exactly how the government get away with being useless.

Caporegime
Because directing that resentment towards immigrants instead of the governments who aren't building the resources you all want is exactly how the government get away with being useless.
So which should come first? Having open borders and letting literally anyone com here that wishes to, or having a proper house-building programme and letting councils own and run affordable rental housing?

If you have unlimited immigration right now, what happens?

Are you expecting to improve things by creating ghettos and hoping they'll all vote Labour? Is that the plan?

Permabanned
get the navy out pick them up and drop them back off in france .. the rules say the first place they come to they have to settle .. simple enough ? or deport them as soon as they land .. thing is where are they getting the money to pay for the journey ?? at £2-5k a head ?

Back
Top Bottom