*** Show us your bikes! ***

Soldato
Judging by the shadows (or lack of shadows) I'm gonna say at least 2 off camera flashguns and probably some light painting too. No long exposure as there's no star trails (but those would have added to the shot IMO).

Cracking shots, and you/whoever took them know a thing or 2 about lighting :cool::D

@Clov!s you can't get that sort of shot with anything but a DSLR ;) maybe a very good mirrorless camera.

Soldato
I have a DSLR but can’t get photos like that, just a noob when it comes to photography. :p

At least I can ride a bike better than I can take a picture of it :D

Soldato
Thanks guys appreciate the comments.

In regards to how the photos were taken, i'm honestly not 100% sure, they were taken by a friend that a professional, it's lighting paint as they call it, basically walked around the bike or car with a white light to pick up the lines.

there's an awful lot of editing that goes into the pictures after, really happy with how they came out.

Soldato
Yeah, light painting - it's pretty simple really (a lot harder to get just right!!) - you expose for the ambient light, i.e. background/sky, set a long-ish exposure of maybe 15-30 seconds seconds, and while the shutter is open you walk round the bike with a light, anything you shine the light on during that time gets 'lit up' as per your photos with the bike. The person doing the lighting never appears in the frame as they're not in one place long enough to appear. the trick is to never have the light aim directly at the camera.

Soldato
0677233863937ee60bb899fbd95a187a.png

Light painted my zzr a few months back not as nice as yours I must say he has done a lovely job.

I have over processed for print on lustre fine art paper so the bike really pops hanging on the wall.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, something of a surprising new bike to add to the garage: this is my ‘new’ CB400 Super Four.

haLgknk.jpg

Inspired by more than a few episodes of Top Gear and, more recently, BvG’s Budget Bike Battle, next March nine of us are on a three day tour up to the Peak District and back. During the tour there will be a number of challenges set. We don’t know what these are yet apart from one will be on an unpaved road. Fairly safe assumption that there’ll be a drag race of sorts and some kind of time challenge.

The rules? Under 400cc, under £500 and two wheels. The budget has to include repairs but oil, fuel, fluids, tyres and essentials for safety are exempt. And I think I’ve got a winner. After weeks of looking at 125s, the occasional 250 and even some 300cc scooters, I got lucky with this for exactly £500. 1997, 59,000 miles and an MOT until May 2018. Pushing out around 52 bhp when wheeled out of the showroom back 20 years ago, I reckon I’ll have a power advantage on pretty much all my fellow competitors.

The bad news is that, despite the MOT, a bike at this price comes with some challenges. The starter motor works best when the bike is warm, and at other times can need to be coaxed into life with a hammer. There’s a tiny leak in a seal on the petrol tank and the rev counter doesn’t work. The good news is that the fork seals are new, the electrics all seem to work and there’s a new rear tyre included in the purchase.

I’ve got three months to get the bike up to scratch, and I’m quite looking forward to it. Any more serious bike maintenance than washing the bike is, normally for me, phoning the dealer. I’m hoping that this bike is basic enough for me to have a good mess around with limited risk of getting anything hopelessly wrong.

Initial plans are a deep clean of the whole bike, fit the new tyre, re-seal the tank (should be ‘free’ under the safety rule) and remove and clean up the starter motor. If there’s nothing hugely wrong after that, I’ll see if I have the spare time to do a basic refresh and do some de-rusting and maybe some basic paint work. I’ll need a rule check on oil and air filters, but other than that I’m not planning on making any performance modifications. Every £1 over the £500 budget incurs a 2 point penalty, so there’s unlikely to be any performance upgrade that’s going to pay back in challenge points.

Hopefully this will be a fun three months, ending in an equally fun weekend. Oh, and yes, there is a support vehicle. A couple of wives / girlfriends will be meandering behind (or ahead?!) of us with a horse box!

Soldato
Awesome :cool:

Looks a decent little bike, if a little tatty round the edges. I can confirm that they go-on forever, even after being chucked down the road a couple of times!!! :D:p

Lots of parts will be shared with other hondas of the same era in case you need to replace little items, but large items are very hard to come by as they were grey import only.

Once the couple of issues are fixed I have no doubt it'll last the entire trip without any issues :cool::D

Associate
Hopefully this will be a fun three months, ending in an equally fun weekend. Oh, and yes, there is a support vehicle. A couple of wives / girlfriends will be meandering behind (or ahead?!) of us with a horse box!

Sounds epic, and that CB should go for literally forever (has it got a replacement reg/rec?)

Keep us up to date when you do it... :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Hi all, not been on in a while... but I have found time to purchase my new toy :)

Now i have to wait a few months to ride it :(

AgrTsDu.jpg

Can't wait. :)
Sexy looking beast :D

Had the bike about 4 weeks, sorted a few things, Akra link pipe and slip on, Full Woolich Race tools package, Tail Tidy etc etc, absolutely love it.

Waiting for a new set of Fairings to turn up, will only be used for trackdays, Cartagena in june and hoping to get a few uk days in before then.

l2Y5QWD.jpg

yMBOzdq.jpg
The quality of those photos is amazing, I would get one of these printed out and put it on my wall. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom