Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (April Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 452 45.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 553 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Seems some scientists don't agree with the headlines around the EU and Science, here.

Scientists for Britain are a group of UK scientists and individuals who are concerned that pro-EU campaigners are misusing science for political gain.

Caporegime
Seems some scientists don't agree with the headlines around the EU and Science, here.

Scientists disagreeing with each other? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

It's certainly the case that some scientists are not pro-EU but scientists are much more pro-EU than the general population: here's the Nature poll - 83% of UK researchers support Bremain compared to just 12% backing Brexit, and 78% said Brexit would harm UK science.

Soldato
They wouldn't be unproductive if they get funding and they wouldn't be researchers/scientists without something to research.

Funding is given with a focus on innovation, crossing disciplinary boundaries, emerging new fields and application which is unconventional/innovative.

Soldato

Yeah, the remain Scientists group are trying to put the name "Science" next to the choice remain, as if they have Scientific reasons for wanting to remain, rather than just because they think they could get less funding (I think we should increase the funding Science gets personally).

Soldato
Less and more funding directly affects advancement of science. The pro leave scientists feel that we will be no worse off if funding is made up elsewhere, not that we will be in a better position.

The funding our government gives is pathetic considering the research that takes place here.

Also, more funding =/= higher wages for researchers

Caporegime
Yeah, the remain Scientists group are trying to put the name "Science" next to the choice remain, as if they have Scientific reasons for wanting to remain, rather than just because they think they could get less funding (I think we should increase the funding Science gets personally).

The amount of funding that science gets from the EU is not the major issue (in fact, it's not a big amount of the funding pie), the importance of collaboration is. Being in the EU makes it much easier for us to collaborate with researchers in the EU.

Soldato
Isn't our illustrious chancellor just a history graduate? He's voting in.

Does that reflect on other people who vote in?

I considered votes independent of each other, or we would just ask the one guy whos opinion matters and then the issue settled.

I really want to know how much EU research grants get funneled into useless social science projects...

They are fairly responsible when it comes to spending.

http://cordis.europa.eu/projects/re...anguage='en'&srt=contentUpdateDate:decreasing

Last edited:
Soldato
Being in the EU makes it much easier for us to collaborate with researchers in the EU.

Genuine question: Why?

I hear a lot of this kind of talk but in real terms why?

I work for a multi-national and communicate for my daily work with people in Germany, South Africa the US and China. The heads of our company have already said that Brexit will mean a very small amount of import / export paperwork, but that it is really no big deal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Genuine question: Why?

I hear a lot of this kind of talk but in real terms why?

Because scientists can freely move n work from one lab to another, reagardless of nationality. Because bright kids from Estonia don't need much paperwork to develop skills at any university willing to invest in them. Free movement is crucial for science in Europe nowadays.

Soldato
Because scientists can freely move n work from one lab to another, reagardless of nationality. Because bright kids from Estonia don't need much paperwork to develop skills at any university willing to invest in them. Free movement is crucial for science in Europe nowadays.

But again this is just form filling, if the talent needs to move in the age of online application forms and automation is it really that big a deal? Enough to compromise our sovereignty over?

I have colleagues that moved to the US for work and some that moved to Germany. Their experience was really not that different. The main issues were over finding housing etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom