Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (April Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 452 45.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 553 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I work in the city of London and companies are already predicting / preparing for a maximum drop in the FTSE of up to 30% if we leave. It's not scare-mongering it is a simple economic fact based upon uncertainty and the lack of crystal balls. I'm old enough to remember Norman Lamont, ERM and 17% interest rates. There will be a run on the banks and the pound and the only way out will be higher interest rates, George Soros is still alive unfortunately, and then people defaulting on their mortgages. The current agreement is far from perfect but the alternative is far worse. Hopefully the rest of the EU countries will see this as an opportunity to demand reform.

Soldato
Anyone else hacked off by Barack Obama's intervention into the debate?

I mean... most American interventions don't leave the country in question in a much better state... but of all the world leaders who shouldn't be lecturing people on freedom and independence, he'd be at number 1 on my list!

Soldato
Anyone else hacked off by Barack Obama's intervention into the debate?

I mean... most American interventions don't leave the country in question in a much better state... but of all the world leaders who shouldn't be lecturing people on freedom and independence, he'd be at number 1 on my list!

All of the world leaders that voiced their opinion are pro-EU. Except Putin.

Soldato
I work in the city of London and companies are already predicting / preparing for a maximum drop in the FTSE of up to 30% if we leave. It's not scare-mongering it is a simple economic fact based upon uncertainty and the lack of crystal balls. I'm old enough to remember Norman Lamont, ERM and 17% interest rates. There will be a run on the banks and the pound and the only way out will be higher interest rates, George Soros is still alive unfortunately, and then people defaulting on their mortgages. The current agreement is far from perfect but the alternative is far worse. Hopefully the rest of the EU countries will see this as an opportunity to demand reform.

I also work in the city and firmly want out.

You realise the ERM and black Wednesday happened because we went into the ERM, i.e. the precursor to the Euro?

Associate
Who except a handful of failed / madly ambitious politicians are actually in favour of leaving? I don't remember seeing any interviews or comments from heavy hitters who we might actually take notice of. Ask a teacher what they think of Gove and stand back. The guy is an idiot.

Soldato

So financial instituations look at worst case scenarios, no crap?

Associate
My point was about what happens to financial markets when nobody has a scooby what is about to happen - they run for the hills. After the worst depression for nearly a hundred years the last thing we want is a mass panic.
As you work in the city can you explain your vote to exit please from a professional stand point?

Soldato
How do those in the remain camp feel about Turkey joining the EU?

If Turkey ever get to a position where they would pass all of the membership tests, I think they'd be a great addition to the EU.

At the moment there's so many barriers to entry (human rights, free press/speech, Kurdish conflict, Cyprus, etc.) that I can't see them joining in next few decades. Sadly, Erdoğan is taking them further away from the western-style democracy that so many liberal Turks desire.

Soldato
Yes and in this case there are 2 main scenarios. The worst case is Brexit, think about that for a second.

Change is always a bad thing for financial instituations, if we weren't in the EU and were thinking of joining that would be considered the worst case scenario. Any sort of unknown affects share prices, it doesn't mean we'll all lose our jobs and homes though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom