US: The Expanse - ** Please use spoiler tags for reveals with TV show or books**

Permabanned
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/

The Expanse is an upcoming American space opera / mystery science fiction drama television series on Syfy, based on the series of novels of the same name. Set in a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, it follows police detective Miller (Thomas Jane), ship's officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait) and his crew as they unravel a conspiracy that threatens peace across the System and the survival of humanity.

Apparently this is Syfy trying to make something good and not their usual fare, to get back to doing the space operas. Budget is the most they've ever spent on a show.

They put the first episode online today and starts properly on 14th December.

**Please use spoiler tags for any reveals for TV show or books**

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Fantastic first episode, you can tell they have spent more than the usual SyFy money on it.

Many scenes were exactly as I imagined from the book.

Did anybody else think the audio mixing seemed a bit off? The dialogue seemed really quiet in parts.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Decent start I noticed they cut corners to avoid showing CGI at times, but yeah can tell some $$$ been spent on CGI.

It does fit into the space opera type show though, they showed a nude scene but simply CGI covered her wobbly bits ? Looked daft and sureal

Otherwise an interesting start will need to give it a few more to get the feel of it.

Soldato
Really want to watch it, and legally, to support the effort. Loved the books and the trailers look great. Just hope they do the end of the story justice, you know what I mean if you've read Leviathan Wakes.

Soldato
The audio was mixed atrociouosly, i found my self having to tun my amp in all channel stereo to be able to even pick out the dialogue from the background noise. Hopefully something they fix.

All in i enjoyed it, as an opener it was a little slow and somewhat lacking in a direction but, and it's a great but, it isnt some teen angst space drama, it has some grandeur to it and realy could pan out to be an epic series. I would like to see some layers to the story, sweeping arcs and a steady pace that doesnt burn it's self out to fast and sicken people to it.

I can see that lead male space jockey, the one having zero G relations is going to be a snively, whiny and generally annoying chore to watch though. Oh and i want zero g relations!

Permabanned
OP
Chances are the audio is only the way it was because the first episode was only released early in streaming format. I imagine you probably didn't watch it on the Syfy site and downloaded it instead meaning it was further re-encoded from 2 channel AAC to 6 channel AC3 messing it up further. More of a file problem than a show problem.

Permabanned
I watched 5.1 720p and thought audio was fine. Some decent surround fx.

On second listen, I agree some of the voices are too soft. I just thought they were going for the interstellar type audio. I see a few films trying to do that now.

Last edited:
Associate
i must be missing something, i turned it off half way through, thought it was a load of dribble

Have you read the books?

I watched it twice, once on my own and again with my missus.
My missus isn't a scifi fan, nor has she read the books.
She was asking me who so and so was, and what that woman is doing.
I ended up thinking there wasn't enough of an initial character explanation for those who have not read the books.
I understand this is a one half of a 2hr pilot, and hopefully part 2 will fill in some of the blanks.

Back
Top Bottom