US: The Flash (2014)

Soldato
Yeah, that was shocking. The background story was the main story (Iris's feelings), the main story was the background (guy with computer powers), everything else was comedy (dismantles car at high speed, suit blows up like a balloon), or Sisco's girlfriend issues. If they are doing filler episodes this early on, they are really a bit lost already. They probably don't know what to do without an evil speedster to sneakily join the team. Teen drama is obviously easier and cheaper to write than actual superhero stuff.

I don't see them as "Filler" Eps at all.. They are story development episodes, the same as EVERY other TV show has. If The Thinker just turned up with 12 metas what sort of TV would be? The only issue would be if they didn't pay it off.

Soldato
I don't see them as "Filler" Eps at all.. They are story development episodes, the same as EVERY other TV show has. If The Thinker just turned up with 12 metas what sort of TV would be? The only issue would be if they didn't pay it off.

When you look at how long in that episode he was the Flash and how long he was Barry Allen, that was way too unbalanced. Especially as it really has no impact on the storyline because once again, everything is fixed by the end of the episode and never spoken of again. For instance, they really dragged out the scene at the therapist's office. It was just too much when you consider how many minutes were also given to Sisco's girlfriend troubles. All the relationship drama is getting tedious. It's not Beverly Hills 90210 or the OC - it's the Flash.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So is this a bit rubbish then? Not started watching it or Arrow and Supergirl yet. May well not bother if they're not any good, There are many other things to watch.

Soldato
It's gone a bit too far into slapstick territory now for my liking. I think the writers are trying to rediscover a bit of the humour and charm that the first series had after a couple of pretty dark years on the show, but it's gone too far the other way imo. Barry, Cisco and Wells walking into each other while trying to find the source of the dark matter typifies that for me, and the less said about the awful homage to Risky Business the better.

When you look at how long in that episode he was the Flash and how long he was Barry Allen, that was way too unbalanced. Especially as it really has no impact on the storyline because once again, everything is fixed by the end of the episode and never spoken of again. For instance, they really dragged out the scene at the therapist's office. It was just too much when you consider how many minutes were also given to Sisco's girlfriend troubles. All the relationship drama is getting tedious. It's not Beverly Hills 90210 or the OC - it's the Flash.

You say that, but the CW network has very strong female viewer figures. Heck, the network's original intention was to appeal to women aged between 18 and 34. Without wanting to stereotype or sound sexist, I suspect they are putting more relationship drama into their superhero shows to appeal to the female half of the audience. I would guess that most superhero-related entertainment properties attract a largely male audience and this is DC/CW's way of broadening the appeal.

Soldato
You say that, but the CW network has very strong female viewer figures. Heck, the network's original intention was to appeal to women aged between 18 and 34. Without wanting to stereotype or sound sexist, I suspect they are putting more relationship drama into their superhero shows to appeal to the female half of the audience. I would guess that most superhero-related entertainment properties attract a largely male audience and this is DC/CW's way of broadening the appeal.

That's sexist in itself ie saying women won't watch it unless it's all about "relationships" and "feelings" with some singing and dancing thrown in. That's been shown time and again not to be the case. Do good stories and characters and women will watch and enjoy it too without having any of this sexist pandering to some idea that doesn't exist. It's worth noting that my wife has given up on Flash because of this, where I am still struggling on in the hope of a good story somewhere.

Associate
Getting really close to giving up here, after years of Smallville I could live with a superhero show that had the usual CW trappings, but I'm not on board with a soap that remembers for 5 minutes an episode that it's supposed to have superheroes in it, the balance is so far off it feels like we're about to have a "Joe, the baby isn't yours, it's your Earth-2 counterparts" scene next week.

And as much as I dislike Wally, them doing nothing with him so far has been ridiculous, ship him off to Legends if need be (or just go read some Mark Waid Flash for some inspiration on how you can have multiple speedsters around without it being an issue for plots). I can't be the only one last week who thought after the big deal was made of Barry getting a hundred and one suit upgrades and Wally getting sweet fa it was going to end with Wally saving the day instead of "Barry overcomes wacky suit upgrades gone bad while Wally is, gone after 12 seconds"?

Soldato
That's sexist in itself ie saying women won't watch it unless it's all about "relationships" and "feelings" with some singing and dancing thrown in. That's been shown time and again not to be the case. Do good stories and characters and women will watch and enjoy it too without having any of this sexist pandering to some idea that doesn't exist. It's worth noting that my wife has given up on Flash because of this, where I am still struggling on in the hope of a good story somewhere.

I guess, though there's got to be demand for that sort of thing among a certain age group of women, otherwise shows such as 90210, the OC, etc would never have existed. Maybe rather than women I should say that they are marketing these superhero shows at teens. I mean, I can't see many adult men being particularly interested in the constant relationship drama on the CW superhero shows.

Caporegime
Getting really close to giving up here, after years of Smallville I could live with a superhero show that had the usual CW trappings, but I'm not on board with a soap that remembers for 5 minutes an episode that it's supposed to have superheroes in it, the balance is so far off it feels like we're about to have a "Joe, the baby isn't yours, it's your Earth-2 counterparts" scene next week.

Yup, it's starting to reek a bit now imo. Going the same way as Arrow, a soap with some 'hero' elements....:(

PayDay Lover
Associate
Oddly enough one of my complaints about superhero tv shows was the lack of non hero time spent. For me I wanted more of a delve into the complexities of leading the double life and I thought tv shows would give the time and chance to do that. Unfortunately in these tv shows everyone seems to know their identities, and the only thing they focus on in their non-hero life seems to simply be their love life.

Caporegime
I think the Flash made an appearance in this week's episode, right at the end.

I really like Danny Trejo but boy was he given some **** to work with.

Caporegime
Yup this is beyond awful atm....

If it doesn't pick up within the next couple of episodes, that is me done with the show and this will be a first ever for me too!

Associate
I'm working on it having until just after the crossover to change my mind (end of this month I believe). We know the crossover is using the Iris/Barry wedding to get everyone together so if after that point they're still more concerned with drama than anything I'm done.

That said (apart from hating the dirty cop angle) Elongated man was fantastic, if he's sticking around all season that might just salvage it.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Is it that bad? What about Arrow and Supergirl?

I haven't start any of them yet and at the moment I might not bother going by what I'm reading.....

Caporegime
Is it that bad? What about Arrow and Supergirl?

I haven't start any of them yet and at the moment I might not bother going by what I'm reading.....

Imo yes, main story hasn't progressed at all, get 1 minute of it at the very end and even then the big bad is incredibly lame so far.

This episode was all about 'girl power', flash wasn't even in this once, as in no suit, instead Barry was being a stupid drunk.

Arrow is ok atm and I don't watch super girl.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Hmmm, considering I was losing interest at the end of the last series I might not bother then, there's much better stuff on my list...

Associate
Imo yes, main story hasn't progressed at all, get 1 minute of it at the very end and even then the big bad is incredibly lame so far.

This episode was all about 'girl power', flash wasn't even in this once, as in no suit, instead Barry was being a stupid drunk.

Arrow is ok atm and I don't watch super girl.

I didn't think Barry could get drunk due to his sped up metabolism / healing.
Remember them drinking on a night out, may have been first season.

Back
Top Bottom