The Fountain Pen Thread

Soldato
Aren't fountain pens trivial to ink smudging? I always remember using them at school and it would feel like the ink took half an hour to dry.

Which is fine if you were writing an formal letter and taking your time. But note taking at uni and the page is just going to turn into a smudgefest.

Soldato
Aren't fountain pens trivial to ink smudging? I always remember using them at school and it would feel like the ink took half an hour to dry.

Which is fine if you were writing an formal letter and taking your time. But note taking at uni and the page is just going to turn into a smudgefest.
Modern ink dries pretty quick but you need decent paper too. I've never had an issue in a Moleskine, Lechtturm etc.

Soldato
Now where did I put my fountain pen?......... oh there it is, right next to my chimney sweeping brush and my penny farthing.
I used to think this, but fountain pens do genuinely solve a problem. The ink "seeps" out. Any other pen requires friction and therefore wrist pressure.

If you write extensively or if you have wrist problems, the fountain pen is the only way forward.

Associate
I have a Caran D'Ache Ecridor fountain pen which was lovely to use. I accidentally knocked it off my desk and it hit the floor nib first, now the "prong" bits that make contact with the paper are slightly misaligned and it writes weirdly. Had a look and a replacement would be north of £50 so have never bothered. Still sitting in it's box in my bottom drawer.

Soldato
I used to think this, but fountain pens do genuinely solve a problem. The ink "seeps" out. Any other pen requires friction and therefore wrist pressure.

If you write extensively or if you have wrist problems, the fountain pen is the only way forward.

See i found gel better for that. I agree biro's are terrible for writing as they require quite a bit of force to "scratch" into the page, whereas gel just flows with very little force required. Gel can smudge a bit if you're not careful though.

Soldato

Blotting paper, put on top to soak up excess ink. At least that was supposed to be what it was for it got used more for soaking in ink screwing into a ball and firing it across the classroom with a ruler

Ahh the old school days of Parker pens

Cartridge or pull the lever at the side?! Parkers were expensive though only the posh kids had those.

Soldato
Always found the cheap fountain pens would catch the paper and flick ink. I would love a nice, but sensibly priced fountain pen though.

Like many others, my writing skills died years ago with heavy computer usage. My wrists/fingers etc actually get sore quickly from writing now I do it so infrequently.

Back
Top Bottom