The GiffGaff Mobile Network

Associate
*** The Official GiffGaff Mobile Network Thread ***

Has any one here heard of them? I've been looking on their site and it does seem like a good idea.

Basically you top up ur mobile account with what ever you want and when you want to you can purchase a GiffGaff goody bag which gives you 300 minutes + unlimited texts + unlimited mobile internet (this costs £15). However I cant seem to find out if this is monthly or periodically (aka every 3 months if you haven't topped up it'll end whats on the account and you will have to top up again).

If its periodically then that may be a good thing as aslong as you top it up when your minutes run out you'll still have unlimited texts and internet untill the account is zerod.

At current I'm paying vodafone too much for what im getting, apart from my amazing £3.50 super duper insurance, and would like to get an Iphone 4 so am looking at all possibilities.

Last edited:
Associate
Its run by o2, I believe you have to pay monthly...

The unlimited internet stops in december... then it will cost 50p per day.

Soldato
I am on Giffgaff, been pretty good, I am told that they are always extending the Internet, but if it does change then I will go back to Tmobile and their £20 for 6months Internet.

Only thing with GiffGaff is no teathering.

Soldato
If you want an iPhone4 and money matters, contract is the only real option tbh. The TCO on most contracts is less than buying an unlocked phone, and then you've got to factor in your airtime.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Just go with Tesco?

£10/m for 500 mins unlimited text 500mb internet, 1 month contract.

Associate
Just go with Tesco?

£10/m for 500 mins unlimited text 500mb internet, 1 month contract.

I had seen this and if I was to buy an unlocked Iphone then this is the most likely option. Just had to check GiffGaff if it was monthly or not. I'd be connected to wifi at uni and home so its just out and about really.

The next thing would be insurance/ cheaper contracts.

Cheers for the info guys much appreciated :D!

Soldato
New tarrifs after the summer sale.
Rem these are PAYG no contract (not even 1month)
2z83ifp.jpg

£10 one looks better then i was getting before.

Last edited:
Associate
Im also with them, they just gave a new goodie bag which is 60 mins and 300 texts and also get 1 min for every min ur called :D all for £5!

and free internet is till 28th feb also so makes the £5 bag good if u dont use much more than 60 mins a month.

If anyone wants to order a sim pm me and ill link you to get £5 free credit on activation :)

Soldato
Some one pointed me towards giffgaff...

Looks appealing. Looking at upgrading my phone which is a Sony Erikson K750i which I'v had for about 5 years.

Not a heavy mobile user, infact, Iv managed to get by with £10 credit for the last 6 months maybe!

Anyway, I have money and can easly afford to pay for a contract and a phone etc....

Iv see the San Fransico Orange phone, which considering im upgrading my phone becuase I can afford too and becuase Im not a heavy user, I think for £100 is the phone for me.

Im looking at getting the cheapest deal possible, but with a focus on the internet.

Any ideas? 50p a day for the internet, seems expensive!

I dont care who I buy my sim from etc.. just wont a good deal.

Soldato
At the moment if you don't buy a goodybag, you have free internet but capped until 1st October 2010. After this date unless you have bought a goodybag then you will be charged for internet use.

Buying a goodybag gives you the reassurance that the internet it totally free and uncapped

Soldato
With giffgaff, the £10 goody bag, the internet is free and unlimited for ever?

I can surf on the phone and not ever.. incur charges other than paying my monthly £10 fee?

If this is true then im sold!

"Free Mobile Internet:
You lucky giffgaff pioneers can even enjoy free UK mobile Internet up to the 28th of February 2011. After that date, mobile Internet will be charged at 50p a day (if you use less than 2.5MB/day you'll pay less than 50p and if you go over 30MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB). But all our goodybags that include unlimited Internet will continue including unlimited Internet after the 28th of February 2011"

So If im right if we sign up before Jan 1st 2011, the internet on the phone is free and unlimited?

Do you know if you have to buy your credit monthly or does it direct debit?

Last edited:
Soldato
With giffgaff, the £10 goody bag, the internet is free and unlimited for ever?

I can surf on the phone and not ever.. incur charges other than paying my monthly £10 fee?

If this is true then im sold!
Yes its true, but they do not permit tethering (maybe ok for odd time etc)
"Free Mobile Internet:
You lucky giffgaff pioneers can even enjoy free UK mobile Internet up to the 28th of February 2011. After that date, mobile Internet will be charged at 50p a day (if you use less than 2.5MB/day you'll pay less than 50p and if you go over 30MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB). But all our goodybags that include unlimited Internet will continue including unlimited Internet after the 28th of February 2011"

So If im right if we sign up before Jan 1st 2011, the internet on the phone is free and unlimited?
None of that will affect you if you buy the goodie bags anyway.
Do you know if you have to buy your credit monthly or does it direct debit?
you can do it as you want, or setup for auto renew every month.

Also u can get a free £5 credit if a current GiffGaff users orders a sim for you(delivered directly to you, no different appart from you have to trust someone to order it for you).
If you want contact me through trust and i can send them to you, or anyone else in the thread that is also on Giffgaff, or someone you know.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I am with Giff Gaff. Aside from the truely terrible O2 mobile network it rests on, which is why I will soon be leaving, the GiffGiff offering itself is good.

Soldato
I have a question.

Having never really had my own personal device that I was browsing on the internet with.

How easy is it to use up bandwidth? For instance is 100mb a day easy to use up?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the giffgaff mobile internet fast enough?

I get 3down 1.6up at home, during peak period it better to watch Youtube on my phone then through my ADSL, though my ISP throttle anything that uses bandwidth :(

As for the 02 network, i guess it depends where you live, for me its solid, far more then Three or tmobile that i have come from, although tmobile would possibly be better now they have share with orange.
Better to maybe get some feedback from users specific to your area.

Associate
I have a question.

How easy is it to use up bandwidth? For instance is 100mb a day easy to use up?

The 100MB per day FUP doesnt apply if you buy a goodybag, it only applies to the free internet you get with a standard top up until 28th Feb 2011, so dont worry about that. The internet on the goodybags is truely unlimited with no FUP ;)

...but yeah 100mb is very easy to use up quickly if you watch a video, live TV, online radio etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I get 3down 1.6up at home, during peak period it better to watch Youtube on my phone then through my ADSL, though my ISP throttle anything that uses bandwidth :(

As for the 02 network, i guess it depends where you live, for me its solid, far more then Three or tmobile that i have come from, although tmobile would possibly be better now they have share with orange.
Better to maybe get some feedback from users specific to your area.

You lucky Gigggaffer you, I cant get above 1.5meg down and 500k up on giffgaff here no matter how hard I try, and thats with a full signal on the Desire. In comparison my Three sim gets up to 4meg down and 1.6meg up.

Totally agree with what your saying about it depends where you live, best to get hold of some free pay as you go sims for each network and test signal and data speeds really before picking a network, its just as important as the value for money in my oppinion.