The Golf Club

Man of Honour
Never did buy V1 and still sceptical about V2 without some sort of 3 click traditional play method. Missus bought the PS4 version and I found trying to control the swing/strength with the finger stick infuriatingly hard. I can't see as this will be any easier on the PC. Do we know if they have any plans to put in old school controls?

I suppose I could try for a couple of hours and just refund on Steam if too difficult.

I've not played a Golf Game since my PS2 days and I'm finding this relatively easy to pickup using the Xbox Controller, putting needs more effort but driving seems fine to me.

Underboss
Pretty sure the devs said the will not be adding a 3 click swing method in V1 so highly doubt they would implement it for V2.

Keep at it, it takes time to master but once you do its very rewarding. Every shot has to be perfectly planned and then implemented, a birdie on this game feels rewarding whereas a birdie on the last game with the old method felt like a par.

Associate
Never did buy V1 and still sceptical about V2 without some sort of 3 click traditional play method. Missus bought the PS4 version and I found trying to control the swing/strength with the finger stick infuriatingly hard. I can't see as this will be any easier on the PC. Do we know if they have any plans to put in old school controls?

I suppose I could try for a couple of hours and just refund on Steam if too difficult.

Nothing wrong with the 3 click method but really I associate it with arcade golf and TGC2 is meant to be a simulation of golf rather than a Tiger Wood style arcade type. Personally I really like TGC 2 but Tiger Woods 2014 is still my favourite game. I just can't get the putting regularly in TGC2 and it ends up ruining my rounds.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Apologies for bumping my old thread but thoughts have once again turned to buying a golf game and this still seems to be the only real serious contender on the market. Very mixed reviews on Steam with some users complaining GC2 suffers from poor performance and rubber banding. However I am intrigued by the course editor - as a veteran train sim route builder I enjoy spending time plodding around replicating real or fantasy areas.

So what's the verdict from those who play/have played GC2 now it's been out a while. Worth getting at full price or maybe wait for a Steam sale?

Associate
Apologies for bumping my old thread but thoughts have once again turned to buying a golf game and this still seems to be the only real serious contender on the market. Very mixed reviews on Steam with some users complaining GC2 suffers from poor performance and rubber banding. However I am intrigued by the course editor - as a veteran train sim route builder I enjoy spending time plodding around replicating real or fantasy areas.

So what's the verdict from those who play/have played GC2 now it's been out a while. Worth getting at full price or maybe wait for a Steam sale?

It's great but might be worth waiting for Tgc2019. Rumoured early access coming soon with full release due around Autumn.

Associate
Thought I’d bump this thread as TGC2019 is due out sometime this month. Definitely a day 1 buy for me, anybody else interested in this? I found the career mode pointless in TGC2 and this is the area I am most interested in. It would appear the career mode this time round has been improved and includes PGA licensed courses, but there is a suggestion that the performance of AI players are tied to the course handicap with some kind of adjustable difficulty level.
Some gameplay video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxTGSYPuIVs

Underboss
Very interested myself. I'm not sure on a day one purchase though. I've only just got TGC2 and I'm enjoying being part of TGCTours. If they move over to TGC2019 straight away, I'll be disappointed.

Fellow TGCTer! I think the current season ends in 3 weeks and for TGC1 - 2 they hard stopped and restarted.

2019 looks like it has some nice improvements.

Soldato
Confusedhow tgc2019 is meant to be out this month, but no release date and the devs on the forum are so confusing on the release date not giving any details and communicating in code.

Strange

I was to good to play on tgc so they made lots of bs to suit themselves to make it so I couldn't play there lmao.

Ree

Ree

Associate
gonna pass on the new one as that last version was infuriating. they're having a laugh with that price also.

Soldato
I'll take this one for the team, I'll dip my toe in for this one, price was steep but i'm downloading at the moment.
I got many hours out of both previous versions, this dosnt look like a huge leap from the TGC2 maybe a 2.5 with PGA backing at best from everything i've seen so far, but if the previous golf clubs are anything to go by i'll more than get my monies worth purely from the MP with my mate.

I found TGC2 to be a love hate relationship, the swing mechanics were great but I found it to be so bloody frustrating at times, I'll get in a sweet spot and be able to put the ball on a 5p, then for some weird reason i'll go off the boil and be jumping from rough to more rough to water... I love it but by christ i dont half want to put my controller through the screen at times, very much like my golfing in real life.
They did a really good job with TGC2 and as long as they havnt pulled a stinker and ****** it up completely, then they really couldnt go far wrong. either way I'll report back later tonight.

Soldato
I'll take this one for the team, I'll dip my toe in for this one, price was steep but i'm downloading at the moment.
I got many hours out of both previous versions, this dosnt look like a huge leap from the TGC2 maybe a 2.5 with PGA backing at best from everything i've seen so far, but if the previous golf clubs are anything to go by i'll more than get my monies worth purely from the MP with my mate.

I found TGC2 to be a love hate relationship, the swing mechanics were great but I found it to be so bloody frustrating at times, I'll get in a sweet spot and be able to put the ball on a 5p, then for some weird reason i'll go off the boil and be jumping from rough to more rough to water... I love it but by christ i dont half want to put my controller through the screen at times, very much like my golfing in real life.
They did a really good job with TGC2 and as long as they havnt pulled a stinker and ****** it up completely, then they really couldnt go far wrong. either way I'll report back later tonight.

good man - will await your report.

£45 is steep but considering I have £200 of CS:go skins that I've not used in 9 months I really should just sell a couple and pay the £45 for it!

Associate
I picked it up earlier today. I have about 120 hours each on tgc1 and tgc2. First impressions are the game is not as well optimised as tgc2, I’m running at 4K with a 1070 and the frame rate is poor enough in comparison to the older title. In terms of gameplay, the game is definitely easier in my opinion. I’m playing with the middle difficulty clubs (tour?) and hitting the ball more or less straight is much more achievable. Now there is easy, medium, hard and very hard options to choose from when starting your round, I’m not sure if this refers to AI strength or the swing mechanics (I’m playing on hard). The ball flight looks a bit weird though, not sure what they have done here. Putting is different too, it also seems easier..I’ve yet to blast the ball a mile past the hole as I sometimes did on tgc2. Career mode is definitely better, there is at least a sense of progression going from qualifying school to getting your pga tour card, but I’ve only played a couple of rounds so will reserve judgement on that. I really hope they push out regular updates now as it was an expensive purchase.
Edit: meant to add, when the game started up for the first time, they presented a skippable registration form looking for your name, date of birth and contact details for marketing purposes. I thought **** off you cheeky devils!

Soldato
Watching videos it does seem awfully easy - no one is missing fairways, greens etc. Looks very simple and easy to shoot 6/7 under every time

Back
Top Bottom