The Grand Tour

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
I would imagine the number of people changing exhausts on brand new cars is absolutely negligible personally :confused: The exhaust sound is therefore extremely valid.

It is, however I was speaking specifically about people who care enough about how an exhaust sounds for manufacturers to believe it would influence their purchase decision between two cars, when in reality they would more likely buy the better car and just change the exhaust if they were unhappy with the sound.

Managed to finish watching it on my third attempt. (Fell asleep on the first two...) I'm not sure if i was just tired or it was a reflection of this episode though. Haha! Its still not quite there for me. Some of the stupid bits are just too stupid i find. Like the car on the boat, the celebrity 'dying' every week etc. Still, i'm sure they are learning from this and the next season it will be all figured out. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how Top Gear has panned out after their initial year too. Hopefully the two programs can complement each other.

Yea the old Top Gear specials were great. They were funny without being to over the top and it was somewhat believable. I think with the GT they take things to far and it gets a bit surreal sometimes.

Last edited:
I suspect the lower BBC budget probably helped make the older specials/challenges a bit more creative, but to be fair, they have been doing the specials/challenges for 10-12 years now, theres only so many ways to skin a cat.

Got to agree with this throwing money at something very rarely results in improved creativity!

I've atched a couple of episodes of the grand tour and rather like the later episodes of Top Gear it hasn't sucked me in. Back in the day top gear was on series link and I always looked forward to watching it that gradually subsided and now I really can take it or leave it the format is a bit stale for me.

Will be interesting to see what the BBC do with the show, the change the presenters and retain the format attempt clearly failed so maybe they will actually try and do something at least a little different this time and no I don't mean change star in a car to star in a rally car lol

I get the feeling way to many people here remember old Top Gear with rose tinted specs.

There is very little difference in reality with the layout of TGT to TG.

Maybe one (sometimes two) serious road test per series, certainly never every week.

Maybe one "Cheap Car" challenge where they get a budget and have to buy cars complete a series of challenges and see who managed to get the best car, per series, and that didn't start until about series 5 of the old Top Gear

Only one major challenge overseas with second hand vehicles (cars lorries motorbikes) per series (and that didn't start until series 7)

The Grand Tour is only half way through the first series of a band new programme, so I think so far they have done great .

The BBC has so many legal blocks in place covering what they see as the "creative heart and ideas" of Top Gear, that The Grand Tour is rather limited in doing things that bear any semblance of what happened previously.

I think they have done a great job so far and have loved every programme.

But you have to watch it without at all comparing it to previous series, as it is a new series and it is not trying to be the old one.

But you have to watch it without at all comparing it to previous series, as it is a new series and it is not trying to be the old one.

That's easier said than done though as they will always be remembered as THE Top Gear guys regardless of TGT.

Don't get me wrong it isn't terrible. Hopefully its just finding its feet...

Love the GSF sound, there's no denying that N/A and V8 = Brilliant, shame it isn't fast round the bends. But as Clarkson says, it's a more exciting driving machine than its turbo charged German competition.

Back
Top Bottom