The Grand Tour

Caporegime
On the topic of pointless crap, let's have Audi's rubbish strobe indicators, illuminated badges, those tacky lights that light up the street when you open your doors with the logo of your car, lights that turn on and off when going round corners, I could go on and on. I want a Hellcat. Massive engine, loads of noise and thunder, manual and none of this extra useless rubbish. Might buy one next year.

Associate
Is it just me or is anyone else getting the impression that Ford are sponsoring this show. I remember a while back (can't remember the episode) thinking the same but the Ford plugs weren't bad as this.

daz

daz

Soldato
Enjoyed this episode, the F150 Raptor was great. Rumour has it Ford might be bringing the Ranger Raptor to the UK?

Celebrity face off was fast forwarded. Why was Paris Hilton on there? Who thought that up? Why not just get an American golfer and a British golfer? :confused:

Man of Honour
Celebrity face off was fast forwarded.

I wish I had - some nonsense I'd have been better without in my head. I don't really care about Paris Hilton one way or another but the section was pretty much tripe.

Rumour has it Ford might be bringing the Ranger Raptor to the UK?

Won't lie I'd actually consider one. As an aside apparently fiddling with the engine management (and some highly not reccomended removal of safeguards) can boost the 210hp version to ~400hp :s

daz

daz

Soldato
What does the model X offer over the S apart from the falcon wing doors and what I assume are slightly larger occasional seats for the 3rd row?

Soldato
What does the model X offer over the S apart from the falcon wing doors and what I assume are slightly larger occasional seats for the 3rd row?

They are two different classes of cars, one being a large SUV, the other being a 'Sedan'. So not a lot in terms of features which is the same for most manufacturers (go and compare a Kuga and a Mondeo for instance).

The X is much bigger inside, but slightly slower. The X has powered doors on the front and the back. The S is faster and has normal doors but is £5k less.

The seats are not occasional on the 3rd row, it is a true 7 seater that can seat 7 adults with a reasonable amount of comfort. On the other hand the Model S occasional seats that are an option for the boot are only suitable for small children. When you have 7 people in the X it also still has a 'trunk' unlike the S and it also has a bigger 'frunk'.

You can put a tow bar on the X if you really wanted.

Back to topic, I didn't think Paris Hilton was that bad.... they both just mostly talked about golf carts and cars. No different to any other guests to be honest.

Soldato
Didn’t like it in black, would look better in a lighter colour. £150k on that Tesla is nuts.
It depends how you look at the price - yes £150k on a car is a lot BUT the Tesla X P100D does everything very well, there is nothing else on the market to match it, so it is going to be hyper expensive.
If you are not interested in the enhanced auto pilot, auto open doors, remote control and less speed (still 0-60 in 4.9) then the 75D is yours for £81k. Basically the same car with non of the pointless gimmicks.

Man of Honour
You can get enhanced autopilot on the cheaper cars too. It's a 3 or 4 grand option.

My parent's latest Touran has lane assist, side assist, adaptive cruise control, etc. its kind of spooky in action - there is an option for automatic lane changing but I don't think it works (not played with it but its greyed out by default) - not sure if its just disabled or not supported.

Not sure if its standard implementation or aftermarket either its a former fleet vehicle.

Man of Honour
The price of that Tesla is frankly madness. Having spent a fair bit of time inside one, the quality is actually quite poor compared to a German premium brands and moving all the gimmicks to one side it is vastly overpriced for what it is.

Soldato
Looks very basic inside. Everything is on that central tablet in one place, so that in a few years time when it goes wrong or the screen gets damaged, nothing on the car works :p

Also touch screens are hard to use (and probably dangerous) when driving along, especially if you have gloves on. Physical buttons are preferable for car controls.

Last edited:
Soldato
The price they said is presumably with every single bell and whistle, and the ~performance model~... but not actually the one with the largest range. The base price for the 75D version (259 mile rather than 336 mile P100D) is £77k. Obviously not cheap, but not as crazy as the price they went with (which they picked for obvious reasons :p).

Then you have to take into account fuel savings/servicing cost differences/etc because just comparing headline prices of ICE cars and electric cars isn't fair. You have to take into account how the ICE car makers can sell their cars for less because they rake in a load of money after the sale.

It would probably take me 20 years of driving it to actually see any savings with that price difference vs similar quality cars. It's just not worth the price, even at 77k. Especially when you put depreciation in the mix.

Also when a Tesla goes wrong out of warranty it won't be cheap to fix. No one except Tesla make parts for it, they are in short supply and most garages wouldn't know where to start on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom