• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Great GPU shortage isn't ending anytime soon

Soldato
Without naming a competitor or anything, would these cards show up if you searched for 3070 or 3080 on their site when the cards are (briefly) in stock, or do you need to have a particular link saved?

The cards are linked via the offical nvidia website to a unique url to the product directly (it doesnt show up on the website search). However the moment the links go live, they are spammed to discord/telegraph and bots buy them up ,especially the 3070 and 3080 cards. Also there really arnt that many efery few weeks to the uk either

Associate
Associate
The issue is demand, it is up across all sectors, the corporate and professionals want the gaming cards, businesses want the gaming cards, system integrators want them, gamers want them, miners want them, scalpers want them.

Actual shipments are strong, like NVIDIA we are too having record sales the problem is even when we get a relatively large delivery of say 500+ or 1000+ cards they get purchased extremely fast even when listed at none deal prices, the demand is simply way beyond where it should be.

It is also sector wide, shortages across other sectors are not necessarily because their is less supply than year before, but the demand has exploded for many numerous reasons, when bitcoin collapsed several weeks ago the supply did improve but even without mining demand the demand was still beyond the supply.

The fact that the world needs more laptops, which have GPU's, more chips for cars which have GPU's everything is short, new factories won't come online until later in 2023 so the shortage is here to stay, we may gvet weeks or even a month where things seem better and then it gets worse, that is just the way it is.

The fact is we are still generally limiting our sales to 1pc per customers and to UK only, we also rarely ever promote a product, once supply improves we can simply turn the demand up by making some noise, as such I still feel things won't get much better if at all in the short term.

However I would love to be wrong and all the demand I have placed with AIBs to get fulfilled next week. :)

When it comes to those still waiting for 3080's, my advice request your money back or consider changing your order to something in stock as the 3080's are all now but EOL and as such it is very unlikely we will see any more stock come in.
So that’s why I cannot find the 3080 anywhere and when I do it’s always close to 3080 Ti pricing. Nvidia realised the mistake they did pricing it so low in the current market so it was replaced with the 3080 Ti. All reviews keep calling the 3080 Ti a bad buy for costing 70% more than the 3080 but in the real world the margin is more like 10-20%.

Associate
So that’s why I cannot find the 3080 anywhere and when I do it’s always close to 3080 Ti pricing. Nvidia realised the mistake they did pricing it so low in the current market so it was replaced with the 3080 Ti. All reviews keep calling the 3080 Ti a bad buy for costing 70% more than the 3080 but in the real world the margin is more like 10-20%.

They are now making up for lost time and PROFITS :D

Soldato
Looks like Nvidia are going to release a new mining card based on GA100 with HBM2.

Called the CMP 170HZ is has a hashrate of 170 at 250W which should make it the most efficient miner out there.
https://www.computerbase.de/2021-09...p-170hx-mit-ga100-und-hbm2-erreicht-170-mh-s/

It is already listed on TPU's spec database
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/
8gotv1n.png
Specs for all those GA100 parts are all over the place though.

It also does 156 MH/s at 190w with an undervolt. So 50% higher hash rate than an RTX3090 and lower power usage and it's passively cooled (no fans)

Soldato
Associate
Out of interest, are there any other problems or drops in performance associated with LHR cards compared to normal ones? I've always wondered if the mechanism behind the Ethereum algorithm performance limitation side-swiped something else.

Soldato
Bit late for a mining card hahahaha. What is it going to mine? DOGE?
I've no doubt they'll move to some new crypto mining, mining isn't going away anytime soon so unless Nvidia/AMD do more to address the issue single/small purchases customers are going to suffer with higher prices (at least IMO).

The daft thing is both AMD and Nvidia *could contractually oblige AIB's, just like they do with review embargo's, dates/time when etailers can start selling, to send a certain percentage to non-mining etailers.

*INAL but i don't think there's any law that would restrict AMD/Nvidia from forcing AIB's to ship cards to consumer (non-mining) etailers.

Associate
Out of interest, are there any other problems or drops in performance associated with LHR cards compared to normal ones? I've always wondered if the mechanism behind the Ethereum algorithm performance limitation side-swiped something else.

Nope if anything the Zotac 3060ti LHR that gibbo was selling a couple of weeks back on special price deals is a lot better then the Nvidia 3060ti FE i got last year just before Christmas could not get it stable when it tried to boost over 2000 would keep blank screening and there was a fair coil noise but this Zotac will do a +180 on the core no problem.

Caporegime
Nope if anything the Zotac 3060ti LHR that gibbo was selling a couple of weeks back on special price deals is a lot better then the Nvidia 3060ti FE i got last year just before Christmas could not get it stable when it tried to boost over 2000 would keep blank screening and there was a fair coil noise but this Zotac will do a +180 on the core no problem.

sample size of 1 doesn't mean the zotac is a lot better. you likley just got unlucky on the fe, lucky on the zotac or both.

the zotac is rated as one of the worst AIB cards using cheaper components than higher end AIB cards and worse than FE.

i know someone who has had the exact opposite experience even with a high end AIB card the FE was a lot better and no coil whine. whereas the top end AIB card had coil whine and the memory cooling is pants.

Soldato
So...I mocked a little bit in the other thread about this, but I should really apologize. Prices are VERY slowly coming down in the US, but not as fast as I had expected. OcUK is the exception the rule with pricing on special deals so I am somewhat keeping that out.

So sorry to whoever it was that started the other "prices aren't gonna come down" thread.

Caporegime
So...I mocked a little bit in the other thread about this, but I should really apologize. Prices are VERY slowly coming down in the US, but not as fast as I had expected. OcUK is the exception the rule with pricing on special deals so I am somewhat keeping that out.

So sorry to whoever it was that started the other "prices aren't gonna come down" thread.

The chip shortage is getting worse apparently. So there is less going towards making GPU's.

Apparently the car industry doubled it's original sales losses prediction from £40 billion to £80 billion in lost sales due to the chip shortage. So if you take that into context. Prices won't be coming down but going up like gibbo predicted. The only thing that will make them come down is either a crypto crash (where cryptos lose a lot of their current value) or mining becomes unprofitable (ethereum going POS). We know Ethereum is going POS next year but no idea when but we do know about the difficulty time bomb.

Unfortunately we don't know how bad this supply shortage is truly to GPU manufacturers. As in lets say mining demand goes down 40% but if they only get supplied with 50% of chips they had anticipated then prices will still go up. There is a lot of variables at play and we had predicted this "shortage" would stay the same or get better but it's gotten worse. This has then had a knock on effect.

Back
Top Bottom