• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Great GPU shortage isn't ending anytime soon

Soldato
I had to bite the bullet to get a 3080 as the backup card I had 780 didn't work in games as it kept crashing them and now the 3080 I got has gone up £200+ this is getting ridiculous.

Associate
I had my eye on the Asus 6800XT TUF on this site, but it's gone up by £50 since last week (actually it's gone up in price twice today..).
Looks like I'll have to set my sights lower (or stick with my venerable GTX 1070ti a bit longer).

koh

koh

Associate
I had my eye on the Asus 6800XT TUF on this site, but it's gone up by £50 since last week (actually it's gone up in price twice today..).
Looks like I'll have to set my sights lower (or stick with my venerable GTX 1070ti a bit longer).

Same here. Was tempted at £899 yet even that too high really so didn't bother. Just working my way thru my Steam library on 2080 for now until things settle down. If prices don't come down, for my liking, I'll be getting a console or even 2 at these prices for GPU.

Associate
Looks like PayPal is jumping on board the Crypto bandwagon in the UK and Bitcoin back to $50000 and now you have FE`s cards being jack up by £200 on the Bay. Nothing changes :rolleyes:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/paypal-launches-crypto-buying-selling-230407704.html

I keep expecting it to end like the last times: a crash or decline while difficulty keeps going up. Good thing I didn't hold my breath as we're almost in September now and I had expected it all to be over by April or so. April 2021, that is.

I was being Satyrical :p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyr :p

I'd link to an image, but the Greeks and Romans didn't believe in family-friendly satyr depictions.

Last edited:
Associate
I keep expecting it to end like the last times: a crash or decline while difficulty keeps going up. Good thing I didn't hold my breath as we're almost in September now and I had expected it all to be over by April or so. April 2021, that is.

I'd link to an image, but the Greeks and Romans didn't believe in family-friendly satyr depictions.

:cry::cry::cry:

Associate

Will be better by April 2022 KompuKare :)

Associate
GPUs used for crypto mining lose 10 per cent in performance every year

Something I found,could mining be killing your GPU performance, frying the memory chips

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...10-per-cent-in-performance-every-year-3007597

Speaking to Benchmark.pl (thanks, PC Gamer), the company explains that cards used for cryptocurrency are used at much higher temperatures than normal, which leads to “problems with the cooling systems” and “accelerated oxidation of soldered joints, which can lead to a failure of the graphics processor or memory chip”

"Problems with the cooling system", that is fans wearing out makes sense, but "accelerated oxidation of soldered joints, which can lead to a failure of the graphics processor or memory chip” is snake-oil salesmen type nonsense.

In fact, heat & cool cycles were what killed all those millions of Nvidia bumbgate parts back in 2008(ish) and that is something normal users and gamers are far more likely to do unless they game 24/7. Even those who leave their PC running idle when not in use and only game a few hours are likely to cause the issue as it's the heating up and then cooling down which stresses solder joints.

Whereas miners will be running 24/7 although aside from GDDR6X which gets crazy hot, their GPU temps are likely to be far lower than gamers. ETH is very memory intensive after all.

Permabanned
OP
"Problems with the cooling system", that is fans wearing out makes sense, but "accelerated oxidation of soldered joints, which can lead to a failure of the graphics processor or memory chip” is snake-oil salesmen type nonsense.

In fact, heat & cool cycles were what killed all those millions of Nvidia bumbgate parts back in 2008(ish) and that is something normal users and gamers are far more likely to do unless they game 24/7. Even those who leave their PC running idle when not in use and only game a few hours are likely to cause the issue as it's the heating up and then cooling down which stresses solder joints.

Whereas miners will be running 24/7 although aside from GDDR6X which gets crazy hot, their GPU temps are likely to be far lower than gamers. ETH is very memory intensive after all.

At least you could understand that mining would likely wear out the GPU Fans as they are running 80-100% 24hours a day in most cases. The VRAM is sitting there at very high temperatures! 24hours a day, so the thermal paste on these cards often goes quicker and is often shot. These are just some of the verified impacts of the mining on GPUs. Also, some who have slapped watercoolers on to mine have bricked the card.

With "The accelerated oxidation of soldered joints", now I did not participate in any experiments, but perhaps this might be concerned with the design of the electrical resistance of the soldering joints, when they are exposed in air at very high temperatures, like (60% relative humidity) at 105°C for 24hours a day, yearly, likely that would cause the accelerated growth of oxide..

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
LTT pretty much proved that's nothing but FUD being spread by Palit so they can sell more new cards. (YouTube Link)

Well, it's kinda not fully true, he has bills to pay and views to collect ,and will bend over for sponsors,how much did his Sponsors pay him for this? Wouldn't be suprised if he has a mining shed in his garden and claims to never mine. Did not even play one game in the review.

End of the day, we will see if these rumours are true when miners dump their cards in the used market.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure World of Tanks cares much if you buy a new or used GPU. Come to think of it i can't think of any sponsor that would benefit from debunking that claim.

Soldato
Despite Nvidia's record figures the share price dropped over fears of oversupply in the GPU market in the coming months. Nvidia will be reducing production if they want to artificially keep prices high and availability low due to the end of the crypto boom. Pretty much all cards are in stock somewhere even if retailers are still charging scalper prices. If there's a shortage of Nvidia cards next year that will be due to Nvidia restricting supply NOT excessive demand.

Dropped, aye? Nvidias share price is up 12% this week!

Caporegime
Watch Nvidia's tune change when Intel comes to play.
I think Nvidia are overegging it a bit

I hope Intel come in like a boss with a £450 RTX 3070TI and 5 million available on day 1 of release.

I'm so sick of people like Nvidia telling us there are GPU shortages while selling thousands of Crypto miners literally pallets of GPU's at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I hope Intel come in like a boss with a £450 RTX 3070TI and 5 million available on day 1 of release.

I'm so sick of people like Nvidia telling us there are GPU shortages while selling thousands of Crypto miners literally pallets of GPU's at a time.

Same. I really hope Intel will shake things up for the better and not just add to the problem. They have a massive opportunity to make a statement as they introduce Arc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom