• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Great GPU shortage isn't ending anytime soon

Associate
October is a bit optimistic, I think we'll see a return to normality early next year once ethereum mining starts to phase out as there will be a huge decrease in demand and increase in supply's due to miners cashing out of their hardware.

There are going to be a lot gamers who are going to be disappointed if don`t happen.

Associate
There are going to be a lot gamers who are going to be disappointed if don`t happen.

Yes, but being disappointed does not increase availability or decrease prices.

Cool story, Bro.

The Forum Speakers Corner is that'a'way >>>>>

It might make sense to have a generic "shortage of X isn't ending anytime soon" and resource-crunch thread in GD or SC. It would be full of those who expect "new shiny now", those using historic semi-conductor price reductions etc.

I actually wonder if the situation will resolve at all until the new fabrication plants come on stream and that won't be for another 18 months or so.

Isn't 18 months a bit optimistic? Certainly for any fabs we might actually be interested in. I suspect the smaller players adding new 28nm or so fabs, will take longer than 18 months, while leading edge 7nm or smaller are going to take far longer. ASML have a huge backlog of EUV machinery and while it is possible to do some of the sub-7nm nodes without, the process steps 7nm DUV are just too many and take too long.

Associate
Isn't 18 months a bit optimistic? Certainly for any fabs we might actually be interested in. I suspect the smaller players adding new 28nm or so fabs, will take longer than 18 months, while leading edge 7nm or smaller are going to take far longer. ASML have a huge backlog of EUV machinery and while it is possible to do some of the sub-7nm nodes without, the process steps 7nm DUV are just too many and take too long.

18 months is probably doable for mature processes e.g. 28nm, big boys have already made decisions earlier this year to increase capacity for that and e.g. SMIC announced just now its building a big new fab in China for 28nm. Maybe not "of interest" in GPU forum except that many control chips used in the GPU PCBA are also in short supply as well as everything else. Guys in HK buying world supply on anything they can doesn't exactly help.

As an electronics designer I've come to hate those guys, they buy quarter million SMPS control chips and jack up the price 500%. Lead time from factory is 57 weeks right now. Hilarious.

Soldato
Imagine if steam ever come to xbox with full keyboard and mouse support should help out the gpu prices come down
Yes, but it would probably kill much of the PC hardware industry overnight :cry:.

YouTuber Moore's Law is Dead was doing an interview/podcast with a Funcom developer and he seemed surprised that people wanted good keyboard and mouse support on a console. I thought it was interesting that many developers don't know that's on of the main reasons why many budget and mid range gamers didn't switch permanently over the years.

Now that the hardware in the new consoles is actually good there is an even bigger incentive.

Associate
The problem with that is the steam store, and MS not getting their cut. What would happen with MS wanting a cut and Steam? At the end of the day, Steam is basically just a marketplace.

Not sure probably a long drawn out negotiation between Microsoft and valve I'd imagine steam would have to pay so much or ms buys out valve

Associate
Half Life 3 confirmed! :p

On a serious note though, if they brought steam to consoles and it supported all (or most) of my legacy games library, I'd be all over that.
Can't see it happening that way, but it's the only way I'd consider it as I've got hundreds of games I've never got around to playing and only typically buy a few a year outside of humble choice.....Yeah I'm not exactly their ideal customer!

Associate
No all you need is luck.

Or you can make your own luck by simply buying high quality components. They got extremely unlucky.

It even happens in F1 where a big teams car will fail during race or qualifying yet the small team who spent 10% they did won't.

You cannot just rely on luck to hope the cheap parts will be okay.

I have purchased a lot cheap low end products over the years and many are still serving me well.

Associate
RTX 4080 launching this soon? I went through hell and back to get a 3080 Ti. Can’t imagine how worse worse the 4080 will be as it performs twice as fast as a 3090.

Associate
I think we have entered a point of no return. NVIDIA knows we will keep paying these absurd prices so the 40 series will be featuring obscene markups. I expect 4080 at £1000 MSRP and 4080 Ti at $1600. The 4090 will easily be £2000 plus. None of the 3090s sell below this price in practice.

It’s also the end of the road for mid range GPUs. The 4050 will probably be £400 at the lowest.

Soldato
I cannot imagine a company that doesn't want more money.

If there is a market of people who can't afford more than x for a gpu, does Nvidia, AMD, and Intel wwant that money going to private sellers of used hardware or would they rather get that money themselves selling new?

Man of Honour
Imagine if steam ever come to xbox with full keyboard and mouse support should help out the gpu prices come down

It would also make it more honest because the resulting de facto ending of the mass PC gaming market would prevent AMD and nvidia maintaining the facade of selling graphics cards for gaming PCs.

~£400 for a console that does an adequate job or triple that for a budget gaming PC that does an adequate job. ~£800 for keyboard and mouse support, basically. If Steam came to xbox (or PS5, but that's less likely) with full keyboard and mouse support I'd buy a console instead of upgrading my gaming PC. I could spend £1500 on upgrading my main toy, but I'm not willing to do so at the current ****-poor value for money and I certainly wouldn't be willing to do so if an adequate substitute was available for £400.

Back
Top Bottom