the great ssd debate (sorry another ssd spec me)

Soldato
So my aging pc (e6600 core2) needs a bit of a refresh and the first thing to do I think is swap out my tiny 74gb raptor and put an ssd in. Now with the Samsung 830's on offer this week I am considering putting this in to help reduce/remove the constant battle I have with windows eating up all my drive space (have hardly anything installed on my machine and have about 1GB free)

So I use my machine primarily for development these days rather than gaming so would this be the logical choice for me or should I consider something else?

I have plenty of storage in my other drives it is just my os and programs drive that i really need to sort out.

I just don't want to click that confirm button until I have gone through all possible options.

Soldato
OP
it will be going into a sata 2 based system for the time being and I would also need to buy an accessory kit to fit it into my hot swap drive bays.
I would get free delivery so for £80 it seems good but for the extra £2 I get an additional 8gb of space (theoretical 8gb)

Soldato
OP
well ordered the 830 now.

For me I saw it as a better investment than the 840. I am sure the 840 is slightly better but as a first ssd I think this will meet my needs.

Looks like tomorrow night will be a fun.

Would I be better off reinstalling or just clone and move the data across?

Caporegime
just clone away,macrium reflect or paragon migrate if you know the site to get it free from:D

the 830 is a better drive imo as it uses mlc nand,the 840 (non pro) drives use cheap tlc nand so its a gamble how well it will last over time as its unproven

Soldato
OP
well it is the first bit of tech that I have brought for my machine in over two years I think.

So it means I can retire the last of my raptor's sadly. (I just need to find a project for them now).

I know I probably won't be getting the most out of the drive on SATA 2 but it will be a good starting point for my next development pc build. Just need to spec out the rest of the machine and save those pennies.

Caporegime
well it is the first bit of tech that I have brought for my machine in over two years I think.

So it means I can retire the last of my raptor's sadly. (I just need to find a project for them now).

I know I probably won't be getting the most out of the drive on SATA 2 but it will be a good starting point for my next development pc build. Just need to spec out the rest of the machine and save those pennies.

you wont believe the transformation,it will make the raptor seemlike a usb memory stick!!

Soldato
To reassure you that you've definitely not made a bad decision.... I bought a samsung 830 120gb, whilst accepting it wouldn't be running optimal due to sata 2. But despite this, my god its fast. No regrets whatsoever, biggest upgrade I have ever had!

Soldato
OP
I remember the days when the raptor was considered the best performance drive on the market. How times have changed. :p

Just counting down the hours now till I get the unit in my hands and then I can play.

Soldato
OP
I think I will clone the drive as a backup and then do a fresh install.

It may be just easier that way. Plus gives me a chance to clean up my other drives and remove those bits of programs that leave themselves about after uninstalling.

Soldato
OP
well so far impressed with my first ssd. although windows took me a little longer to install than i expected. (Windows disks always seem to go walkies when you need them)

Installing all my development stuff and office apps is just flying I swear it only took what seemed like 20seconds to install office 2010 pro.

why did it take me so long to get one. :)

Back
Top Bottom