1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: The Greatest? Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo

Discussion in 'The Football Stadium' started by Robbo, 13 Sep 2021.

?

Who is Better

1. Messi

49 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Ronaldo

87 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

@BaZ87 we need a breakdown of the poll as I know this section is dominated by United fans. I bet only fez has voted Messi :p

2. Robbo

Capo Crimine

Yeah but along the same lines, there's more anti-Utd fans than Utd fans and they are more likely to vote for Messi, especially now :p

I've yet to vote FYI

3. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

I'm pretty sure the vote against would be nowhere near as strong as the vote for based on his allegiances to your club. Other, much larger polls show pretty much the opposite of what we have above.

4. Thekwango

Capodecina

George Best on the lash was still better than both of them!

5. Robbo

Capo Crimine

I couldn't honestly say. Most of the polls I've seen are 50/50 (give or take 5%) - which about sums everything up...

6. mysticsniper

Capodecina

Oh please, Ibrahimović hasnt even won the champions league. Not even a contender.

I picked Ronaldo as he has been a winner no matter where he's played.

Messi is basically a one club wonder. Winning the French league is about the same as Winning the Championship.

7. Moothead2

Sgarrista

Yeah, not like he joined the Italian team that had won every title for a decade or anything, and finishing 4th while requiring Napoli to bottle it against a mid table side in the final game of the season. I'll give you that he joined minnows United and dragged them to the title though...oh wait.

8. And

Wise Guy

In terms of pure natural ability and being more pleasing to watch, Messi. I'd rather not compare to those of the past (Pele, Maradona) because football has changed (boots, ball, pitches, training, diet etc), but certainly the two greatest players of their generation and little to separate them.

9. Purdy

Capodecina

Can't fault the manu fans for being homers but it do be Messi.

Pretty cool we get to watch both and they have such different styles, albeit Messi's is more enjoyable to watch.
    Early 2010s Barca Madrid were some of the most exciting moments in football largely due to them two being there (+ Pep/Mourinho)

10. Mark1989

Capodecina

I voted Ronaldo and am a Liverpool supporter, shame he plays for the wrong colour red!

11. HangTime

Man of Honour

A month or two back I sat around watching videos of Maradona for a couple of hours, there were some incredible performances. I'm not saying he's as good as Messi/Ronaldo but in terms of single-handed influence he was pretty incredible, winning the titles with Argentina and Napoli.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q12s70yU33Y
    (note about 7mins when he lays on a sitter for a teammate, then tries to motivate him after the miss, you can just imagine Ronaldo throwing a massive paddy).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g7kqfmrEZw from his early days in Argentina, not that well known but absolute BOSS performance, so many subtleties in there.

edit: Back on topic, Messi for me. Ronaldo is superb and his aerial ability literally adds another dimension to his game, but peak Messi from early 10s was awesome. Even if you leave the stats to one side on the basis that Barca had an incredible team that was slaughtering everyone, he was magic, I remember losing to them in the Champions League and he's got like a hattrick in the first half, it's a rare occasion when you just sit back and say we've been outclassed here.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2021
  12. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

I voted for Messi but I still prefer fat Ronaldo over both.

He had the physicality of the lesser Ronaldo, the dribbling ability of Messi and the skill of Ronaldinho. Such a shame he suffered from so many knee injuries :(

13. jaybee

Soldato

I voted based on right now. Ronaldo edges it. Completely different players though. Both legends. There is no football player in the world that I have seen that has the air time Ronaldo has. That shot of him outjumping that defender where CR7 is practically in orbit before the defender gets off the ground, with his knees above the defenders shoulders, timing the header to perfection. That defines his timing and ability for me. He is the better striker of the ball and the better goal scorer generally.

Ronaldo's top speed I think is better but acceleration might be Messi. Messi has more technical ability on the ball and dribbling and is very two footed. I feel Ronaldo is the one I would want in my team as in this day and age - certainly the prem - Messi will just get fouled and pushed off the ball constantly due to his lack of physical strength over CR. CR is the bigger impact player overall and is the better athlete. His work rate is higher too.

14. Andybtsn

Don

Interestingly, when do you ever see that happen?

15. jaybee

Soldato

All the time. It's a compliment to the best players. Those players that are absolute pests and impossible to tackle. They draw the most fouls. Grealish. Hazard. Messi. They all draw insane amounts of fouls but that doesn't mean goals. I'd rather have players like Lukaku/Ronaldo that can stay up longer and win games.

16. BaZ87

Don

You are aware that Messi scores at a better rate than Ronaldo though, right? So even if you believe that he gets pushed off the ball a lot (I don't agree) and Ronaldo doesn't, it's not preventing Messi scoring goals and winning games.

17. jaybee

Soldato

Statistically Ronnie O'Sullivan is not the most talented snooker player to ever play...but he is. Stats tell only one side.

18. BaZ87

Don

What an odd reply. You made the point about goals. Your post suggested that being fouled prevented Messi scoring goals and winning games - Messi scores at a better rate and I'm almost certain, wins games at a better rate than Ronaldo.

And on the fouls point, I've just checked WhoScored and Messi (2.4 per game) has averaged 0.5 fouls per game more than Ronaldo (1.9 per game) since they began recording this date in 2009/10, hardly a noticeable difference. Those numbers did surprise me tbf - neither get fouled that much, certainly not nearly as much as somebody like Grealish.

19. watercooledman

Perma Banned

Ronaldo is the best player ever, and to bless us all with how to be a complete footballer / person, can never see him being beaten as that in my life time.

////

20. Sho

Mobster

Ronaldo.