the hdds are seriously hot ?

Soldato
ok so Ive got a home server and my hdds are packed way to close together because thats all I have (case wise for the minute) and worst came to worse last night

for some un beknown reason my server wasnt responding, so i poped open the case (i have my swith inside so no one can turn it on/off whenever they please)..... and just brushed against the hdd .... SCOLDING HOT..... so is this fine or should I get a new case, Ive already got one in mind just want a point in the general direction

I have maxed out all fans and there just 80mm but little room to breath tbh ....

Associate
Sounds like you need some cooling of some sort, it might be ok, because a drive running at 35-45c will feel hot even if it's within specification.

I'd suggest you get some software (e.g. Everest) that will show you the temps? You can check this v. the manufacturer's website for their recommended operating temps for your drive(s) - that will let you know if you really have a problem.

Soldato
OP
all of the hdds are at 45c ..... hmmmmm

Ive got 3 WD Cavier Blacks in it and they can handle up to 60c and one Hitatchi which can also go to 60c

hmmmm

Last edited:
Don
a cheaper option..

is it possible to stack up the hard drives on the side of the hd bay?

how many drives do you have?

a 120mm fan at 5v would work wonders also

Soldato
45 is ok. Bear in mind that some HDDs have high idle temps. My two main drives idle at 30, my externals idle at 45, and my old Maxtor internal idled at 55. So in short, I wouldn't worry over those temps UNLESS you have reason to believe that you're suffering instability as a result of them.

Soldato
OP
was sort of looking forward to spending some money, but in hindsight itll probably be better to save and wait till I upgrade in a year or two......

Ill stick a 120 in it some where to circulate some air :)

Back
Top Bottom