The hot chocolate velvetiser thread

Sgarrista
Commissario
Got one of these for Christmas.

So far working my way through a variety of Hotel Chocolat selections, but guessing some of you have had these for longer and know of some special treats out there.

Currently enjoying the 70% classic which just hits the spot for me, a deep taste but not going into the realms of bitterness with darks.

Tried the 50% but found it a tad on the milky side, but everyone else seems to enjoy that more.

Caporegime
How do these things work? Can you use any slab of choco in them or do they have to be a particular type? I've seen them on sale many times this year but didn't look into them properly.

They heat the milk hot enough to melt chocolate. You can use the expensive flakes but normal hot chocolate powder works fine too.

You can put normal chocolate it but it needs to be chopped up fine to allow it to melt.

Soldato
- it's throthing it too ? is it a magnet based rotating widget.
At, what seems a £1/cup with their mix, I'd probably get some diy callebout chocolate shavings - Ray

parent just got into hot chocolate and they use uwave, but no frother,
with a bodum milk throther, could you insert plunger after first heating in uwave - next xmas gift ?

Soldato
The main complaint I've heard about them is that the don't make the drink hot enough (obviously that's a matter of taste though). The Hotel Chocolat advice on that question is to heat the cups with boiling water first.

And indeed, the price is fairly high. I'm sure it must be possible to buy chocolate flakes in larger bags from elsewhere to combat that.

My one massive piece of advice about hot chocolate in general though is try one with some of this in it:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Monin-Me...=1641036727&sprefix=monin+mint,aps,64&sr=8-13

Caporegime
The main complaint I've heard about them is that the don't make the drink hot enough (obviously that's a matter of taste though). The Hotel Chocolat advice on that question is to heat the cups with boiling water first.

And indeed, the price is fairly high. I'm sure it must be possible to buy chocolate flakes in larger bags from elsewhere to combat that.

My one massive piece of advice about hot chocolate in general though is try one with some of this in it:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Monin-Menthe-Glaciale-Syrups-Cordials/dp/B007MNP2YW/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1OJHY1GTR08VS&keywords=monin+mint+syrup&qid=1641036727&sprefix=monin+mint,aps,64&sr=8-13

The chocolate isn't particularly warm it's true, you have to drink it straight away. You can just put it on twice though.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Very partial to the 70% myself; wife is working her way (very quickly) through hazelnut praline and hazelnut mochas though...

Cups definitely need hot / boiling water in first, stays warm plenty long enough then.

Soldato
temp discussion Hotel Chocolat Velvetiser VS Nespresso Barista Recipe Maker
so, velvetizer is a re-branded dualit, but the higher temp nespresso doesn't seem to have cheaper alternatives

Optimal temperature for drinking your hot chocolate from my link is 50 odd degrees, although the video (master chocolatiers), deliver it take-away at 70C odd,
I had thought you should be boiling drinking chocolate, like cooking 'through' corn-flour, but, just, steaming milk to 60-70C and adding to a chocolate paste is ok,
which is what I'll try next with espresso machine steam wand experiments, it'll make less mess too.

Soldato
Had one since 2020. I tried the whole range of Hotel Chocolat and I preferred the lighter mixes, not a fan of dark chocolate. Wasn't greatly impressed with Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate in general. I've used powders in it too and they come out fine. Going to try what @Vanquish-Storm did and grate some other chocolates. I mostly use it as a milk frother these days for my Podster.

Side note, not greatly impressed by Hotel Chocolat Rabot coffee either.

Soldato
Had one since 2020. I tried the whole range of Hotel Chocolat and I preferred the lighter mixes, not a fan of dark chocolate. Wasn't greatly impressed with Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate in general. I've used powders in it too and they come out fine. Going to try what @Vanquish-Storm did and grate some other chocolates. I mostly use it as a milk frother these days for my Podster.

Side note, not greatly impressed by Hotel Chocolat Rabot coffee either.

Still do it :) you might need to put a bit more in for lighter chocolate but I found it better. Chocolate orange was a good one too!

Man of Honour
How much are the HC mixes these days ...
I do a daily hot chocolate (reducing caffeine) with espresso machine steam wand - initially making paste with milk powder/cocoa/sugar/salt, but would like to try some varities of cocoa powder once supply is - like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Van-Houten-Full-Bodied-Powder-22-24/dp/B079ZN4WSJ
other cocoa suggestions ?

These are the two I'm currently using.

Man of Honour
interesting the australia connection I'd seen few references, other than on australian forums to hot chocolate in particular red african
I don't know if they are particularly into chocolate.
I tried their summer edition at the London Coffee Festival - 50% chocolate with Raspberry and Thai Lime. Weirdly enjoyable. Their 70% and 85% are excellent though.

Soldato
What does this offer that using the steam wand on a coffee machine doesn't? I just use the wand on my Sage Oracle to get perfectly melted and textured hot chocolate by dumping the chocolate shavings at the bottom, topping up with milk and then steaming the milk normally

Back
Top Bottom