The IMDb Top 250 - 365 Challenge

Soldato
OP
Here's the next film I've watched as part of the IMDb Top 250.

227: (500) Days of Summer

500 slots into the romantic genre, of which I'm not the world's greatest fan. Still the Internet has heaped praise on it for being a funny, original take on the story of boy-meets-girl so I gave it a bash.

The story follows 500 days of the life of Tom, a drone at a greeting card company and the events of his relationship with the eponymous Summer, whom he meets at work. The 'twist' is that the film is chopped up in non-chronological order bookended by which of the 500 days in question the scene features, though these are not Tarantino-esque cuts. Because of this very early on we learn that the relationship between Tom and Summer doesn't last and the film flips between their dating and the relationship falling apart and of course the lessons that we the viewers can learn from their time together. For this reason alone I had high hopes for the film as normally you'd walk into a rom-com already knowing the ending.

Unfortunately the film is original isn't the slightest. As soon as the scene was set where we learn that Tom's job is to write cheesy greeting card slogans but yearns to be an architect, it becomes obvious that he'll rage-quit his job at some point with a speech on 'what is love' and pursue his architectural dreams. Summer turns out to be a two-dimensional generic slightly-quirky girl-next-door. Tom's friends include the non-threatening mate with no sex life who gets them together, conflict includes a jock-businessman trying to cut in between Tom and Summer at a bar, and so it goes on.

Now, don't get me wrong. It's an entertaining film with several laugh out loud moments, the acting is above average for this type of film and I'd recommend watching it once, but I don't see why it features in the IMDb Top 250. I could probably come up with another hundred (non-rom-com) films that should feature above it. It's, well, it's average.

5/10

Soldato
68/250 before I've even started. :) (That Framerater is a great little site)

This sounds like a great idea, finally something to stop LoveFilm pestering me to update my rental list. :p

Should be able to make it 69 tomorrow, off to see Avatar.

Soldato
OP
Next on the IMDB list:

247: Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro)

My Neighbour Totoro is a Japanese children's film from Studio Ghibli, a studio famous for films such as Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away (both of which also feature on the Top 250). It follows the story of two children, Satsuki and Mei, who move with their father to a new home in the countryside to be closer to their mother, who is in hospital with an unnamed condition and meet the friendly spirits of the forest, the Totoro.

The appeal and originality of the movie comes from the fact that this film features no conflict, anger or threat while not going down the sterile, PC, modern children's story route. The bulk of the film simply follows the two girls exploring and playing in their new home and surroundings, which sounds boring but is anything but- the key to this being that the animation work retains the charm and magic of being a kid again. It's hard to put down in words, but I - a grown, cynical Brit - was smiling from cheek to cheek all of the way through.

Special mention has to be given to the animation which is simply beautiful. It's not an orgy of colour or gimicks, but a magical rendition of rural Japanese life. Highlights include Mei stroking Totoro for the first time: although this is a cartoon you do get the sensation of someone actually stroking a bear-sized furry animal (not that I've stroked any bears lately) and the watercolour-eque backgrounds.

A joy to watch, for adults and children alike.

9/10

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Now got through Back to the Future, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Alien. Since today is now officially a snow day I can continue with film #13!

Soldato
Only just noticed this thread today, but it's an awesome idea! So I'll start now, 6 days behind so though a bit of catching up to do. Going to start today with Big Lebowski and WALL-E :D

Soldato
so far have watched day the earth stood still 1951 and blood diamond last night both definatly worth watching. trying to get hold of infernal affairs but proving difficult.

Soldato
Just doing it randomly also. Watched:

Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended editions)
WALL-E
Up
Big Lebowski
V for Vendetta

Be some good watching so far :D Think I'll be watching Crash tomorrow (well, today technically) night. Doubt I'll get through the top 250. Not really cause I won't have enough time, but more so some of those films are going to be horrific to get ahold of.

Don
Would be awesome if imdb and a popular online dvd merchant coupled together to make a 250 dvd box set :D, if it was say £500, payable over a year, I'd go for that

Soldato
I am 8 short of the top 100, but then I started a long time before you boys. I have been doing it on and off since 2008!

I keep watching other films rather than sticking to the tops. No rush!

Soldato
Haven't seen a single one of the bottom 100 (top score 2.4/10) and the fact that Plan 9 from Outer Space gets 3.6 means I'm never going to watch them.

Trying to get the top 250 done sometime in the next couple of years will be hard enough without watching stuff I already know is going to be rubbish! :)

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Already seen 105 of the top 250, but there's a fair few classics in there that i've just never gotten round to, will have to remedy that :)

My user name is hexadecimal on that Framerater site if anyone wants to add me.

Just going through adding all the films i've seen now, so hard to remember! :o

Back
Top Bottom