The IMDb Top 250 - 365 Challenge

Soldato
I've seen exactly 103 of the top 250, poor considering I'm a film student.

Films I have on DVD that I haven't seen that are on the list

Some like it Hot
Schindlers List
Raging Bull
Citizen Kane
The Usual Suspects
Alien
Aliens
The Lives of Others
Vertigo
Godfather Part 2
Das Boot
Groundhog Day
Big Fish

103 will soon be 116 :)

Associate
I've seen 125 of these recently so I guess I should go the whole hog and refresh/first watch the rest. Plus it will give me something else to do when I eventually send my 360 on its first holiday. It's a shame there are so many flavour of the month Hollywoods in there, but films like Les diaboliques are well worth watching.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm having real difficulty finding all the Charlie Chaplin movies in the top 100. A few years ago a box set was released with all of them in but it's practically impossible to find. The only commercial site I found selling it wanted £150, and I know it was previously as low as £40 or so. They're just about available singularly, but at more than £10 a pop I'd rather get the set.

While I'm at it, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre seems completely unavailable too. These are meant to be the greatest films ever!

Soldato
I signed up with Lovefilm - if you do search for a 2 month free trial voucher code on google before you do. I've only gone for the cheapest plan but that will give me two a month (if I see the latest blockbuster I'm likely to get it on a nightly rental instead.

Currently awaiting Das Boot mini-series, dune mini-series and a few others.

Soldato
I signed up with Lovefilm - if you do search for a 2 month free trial voucher code on google before you do. I've only gone for the cheapest plan but that will give me two a month (if I see the latest blockbuster I'm likely to get it on a nightly rental instead.

Currently awaiting Das Boot mini-series, dune mini-series and a few others.

for 2 months free you should have gone for the top plan and canceled in 2nd month. 2 a month is 4 free rentals when you could have had 20+

Associate
I watched Amores perros last night and found the first hour pretty hard going. I'd rate that at 4/10 I'm not sure what to make of the rest of it and what I would score it as overall :o

Associate
Yes the list is somewhat polluted with recent films. I put the list in year order so it was fairly straightforward to check the distribution.

64 2000-2009
38 1999-1990
28 1989-1980
24 1979-1970
25 1969-1960
33 1959-1950
21 1949-1940
12 1939-1930
5 1929-1920

I found it hard to believe Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources weren't in there, although the were 10 years ago. I don't know if its on the Pro version of imdb, but past positions in the top 250 should be acknowledged imo.

Soldato
I've seen 104 and own a few that I haven't seen yet such as:

Ran (1985)
Fargo
Raging Bull
Ratatouille
Strangers On A Train
Some Like It Hot
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

(holds head in shame)

But seriously, no Mesrine but (500) Days of Summer is in there?

And La Haine should be in there, technically and deservedly but it doesn't seem to be, despite having a score of 8.1. Unless they've listed under a different title or something.

Associate
Just found this thread so it's a bit late to start! I've actually watched quite a few of these in the past 18 months since I've been watching the Blu-ray releases of a lot of these films.

I'd agree that the imdb list is biased towards more recent releases, but that's always the case with any kind of "Best Ever" compilation (music lists nearly always have a similar bias), but it's good to see that it's not overwhelming e.g. in the top 10 there's only one film from the past 10 years. There will be an element of bias due to the average age of imdb users being quite low.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
anyone been watching the 30-s and 40-s films like 'M' etc? Mr Smith goes to Washington?

ive done most of the others, not sure i can bring myself to some of these...

In the last week I've watched M and It's a Wonderful Life for the first time. Both I gave 10/10. M is incredibly far ahead of its time and has a very powerful performance from Peter Lorre.

Back
Top Bottom