The IMDb Top 250 - 365 Challenge

Soldato
managed 9 so far :p

but im watching them with my gf and she had a lot of work to do over last month or so, so weve not had much evening time. plus when i get work im in bed at 7:30 to get up at 4am!

I've only seen a handful as well though I never had any intention of watching them all within the space of a year anyways. 12 Angry Men arrived in the post there the other day so that's next on my hit list :D

Soldato
Saw that a couple of weeks ago. Was a 9/10 for me!

Currently watching film #50. Here's the list of the ones I've seen since Jan 1st: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=44017196

Didn't really think very much of the film, but then maybe I didn't get it.

From the "What film did you watch last night?" thread.

12 Angry Men: 6/10

Was watching this as part of the IMDB top 250 list but didn't really think it belonged up there with the other films in the top 10. I was annoyed that the viewer is never shown any of the court proceedings and so can't make their own mind up about the boy before the evidence is re-examined in the jury room, coloured by the prejudices of the people composing the jury. I think I would have preferred the film more if the viewer had been involved in the film almost as a thirteenth jury member, allowing them to decide on their own verdict and then have it confirmed or questioned as the drama unfolds. I also felt the film came across as being pro-American with the whole 'we're American, haven't we got such a great judicial system, aren't we amazing' vibe.

The film is still a decent watch but I felt it could have been a lot better (or maybe I just didn't get it) and didn't have anywhere near the same effect that the other films in the top 10 so far have had on me.

Just looking at the time of my last post, took me an absolute age to get around to watching this film :o

daz

daz

Soldato
The list has changed :o

But out of the current 250 i've seen 136 now.

I really enjoyed The Good, The Bad, The Ugly last week so I'm going to go through some of the other classic Westerns.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Didn't really think very much of the film, but then maybe I didn't get it.

I don't think it's a matter of getting it - there were bound to be top 100 films that you, or I, don't like. For example, in another thread people are heaping praise on 2001: A Space Odyssey, and while I accept all kinds of arguments about brilliance in cinematography, concept, adaptation, or any other number of things, I found it boring. No-one's going to change my mind on that, and many may claim that I 'didn't get it', but I find at least 50% of Kubrick films similarly tepid. This includes Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange. Other films I gave mediocre scores to include Avatar, Chinatown and Forrest Gump.

I found the concept and story of 12 Angry Men fascinating but I can understand how a film set 99% in a jury room won't enamour everyone.

Post #2 of the thread has a list dating from the 1st of January if you want to use that instead. :)

Soldato
going by that spreadsheet ive seen atleast 70 of the top 100 :o

and some of them i just dont want to see

after the top 100 there is many more ive not see though. also many that i may of seen but havent checked the translations

feel like i watch too many films now

Soldato

But out of the current 250 i've seen 136 now.

I really enjoyed The Good, The Bad, The Ugly last week so I'm going to go through some of the other classic Westerns.

once upon a time in the west ! number 20 something and just HAS to be seen. sergios best , eastwoods best , morricones best

Soldato
Booked tickets to go see Metropolis in September!

It'll be a bit of an experience at least to see a film accompanied by a full orchestra.

Just back from this :D

Really enjoyed the experience. It was strange, to say the least, to watch a silent movie (never seen one before) but the score was brilliantly performed by the orchestra and they were fantastic from the get go. The film itself was enjoyable enough though it did tend to meander and belabor the point quite often (probably to ensure the audience got what was going on). For a film nearly ninety years old it doesn't look that bad at all (bar the scenes restored from the 16mm print found in Buenos Aires which has been scratched to hell and back).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've managed to watch 96 of the top 100 films since January 1st. Only ones left are...

Currently have:
Paths of Glory
Singin' in the Rain

Trying to source:
Vertigo
Rashomon

Should be done by the end of November. :)

Soldato
I've decided I would mark off the movies that I watched but don't remember at all and have no desire to watch again. Up to now I've been leaving them as tentative thinking I might go back and watch them again. Nah, see ya!

Back
Top Bottom