The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
OP
Mate ZZRC sub 3.0 is BS! Did the same for me and I was lost. I tried to hold on out the gates and hammered it. Did a whole lap on the front group and was spent. Couldn't hold that sort of pace, it was mental.

I need to get back on, hoping my back is better at the moment, pulled muscle had me out of work for 2 weeks and couldn't relaly walk or even sit much. Still have this dodgy knee, too. Just not had the chance to see anyone about it as I've been out with the back. Bit crap really. That and trying to move house and everything, my riding has been sub poor. Rode to work Monday and it hurt, think it's leaning over, full aero. :p Didn't hurt as much tonight when I rode to pick up the hire car.

Trainer should help though, as I can sit up straight more. I'll get some in next week... ease in to it. Oh, still not got my Flux delivered... it's been 5 months! :( they offered me my money back but it's still a really good price, if they ever send it. Luckily I have 2 Vortex's here, so not like I'm desperate.

Missed you all x

Soldato
I've borrowed a friend's turbo trainer. It's the CycleOps Fluid2. I've found some videos on YouTube to use to work out with. Will give it a blast this weekend and see how it goes. And then decide whether I should invest in one myself.

Soldato
I've borrowed a friend's turbo trainer. It's the CycleOps Fluid2. I've found some videos on YouTube to use to work out with. Will give it a blast this weekend and see how it goes. And then decide whether I should invest in one myself.

I take it you found these videos?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUdAMlZtaV13e3-rJq1W0O1kf2DVlslmC

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpKxEB56gzui7KyP-Oa9Us8d4UEid4A6h

They're the ones that i use on the fluid 2. With the back wheel I normally turn the yellow dial 2.5 turns after it touches your rear wheel. 3 if i really want to push things.

Soldato
Put a few towels down then...

That's the plan! :)

I take it you found these videos?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUdAMlZtaV13e3-rJq1W0O1kf2DVlslmC

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpKxEB56gzui7KyP-Oa9Us8d4UEid4A6h

They're the ones that i use on the fluid 2. With the back wheel I normally turn the yellow dial 2.5 turns after it touches your rear wheel. 3 if i really want to push things.

Not those ones. It's this one: https://www.youtube.com/user/turbotripping/videos. But I will bear those in mind and the dial use as well. :)

Soldato
Trainer should help though, as I can sit up straight more. I'll get some in next week... ease in to it.

Missed you all x
Missed you too mate, hope things sort themselves out. Be very careful and take things steady, especially with your back! Get doing some basic/easy stretching exercises, maybe even some strength ones? You may even find they help your knee with some generic core flexibility & strengthening. I know you did some weights before, maybe start with some steady body-weight only squats?
GCN have a range of trainer videos, there's two I remember, one a core threshold one which was a real sweat fest and another of a simulated mountain climb with some amazing views!

You might be best looking at a fan (doesn't have to be anything special) if you decide to go the trainer route. I previously turbo'd outside on a patio and it was good this time of year for keeping cool (avoid the rain though!). ;)

Keep an eye on Aldi, I picked up one of these for £25 and it's great! Noisy as hell (doesn't matter on the turbo with headphones in) and shifts a ton of air, would be too much indoor, but perfect for the turbo! ;)
Or maybe get the missus to be the fan! Lol. :p
She isn't already? Just wait until she starts to comment on your tighter buns from all the cycling (and you squeeze into ever tighter lycra shorts)! ;)

Soldato
Gonna have to postpone the turbo trainer. It seems it didn't come with its own QR skewer. Guess my friend forgot to pack it with him. Not to worry. I think the weather is due to be nice tomorrow so might just head out then instead.

Soldato
If I was to buy a replacement QR skewer for the Cycleops trainer, could I get one that could be used on any trainer, or does it have to be make specific? Cos I have had a quick scan online and nowhere sells these specific ones unless it's coming from the US!

Actually, I just found this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cycleops-trainer-rear-wheel-skewer/rp-prod127363

It does say for CycleOps trainers. But do I want to fork out £9 for it seeing as I am only testing this trainer? Might just wait til I get my own TBH.

Last edited:
Associate
How long until you get your own?
If it's a while, £9 to be able to use now, and see if you enjoy it doesn't seem steep.
Plus you can always sell it.

Soldato
22 BIG KM done today. (Hi Roadie!)

First ride in a month :o fitness is disappearing rather quick.... and getting a rounder stomach, should be moving house soon and will have a bike setup on the trainer full time. Probably the P3 as I don't fancy riding a TT on the road in the UK for training.

Might even think about trying a triathlon (dont say that too loud) as it will be easier to cram in running around work and not do as many hours on the bike.

By comparison my dad has done over 3250km this year, he doesn't ride for a club or do audaxing, just rides his bike.

Soldato
How long until you get your own?
If it's a while, £9 to be able to use now, and see if you enjoy it doesn't seem steep.
Plus you can always sell it.

I've got the trainer for a whole week. Maybe I will buy a skewer then. May as well get some use out of it!

It's only a steel QR skewer, so if you have an old bike with one just use that

I don't have an old bike. Lol.

Soldato
22 BIG KM done today. (Hi Roadie!)
omghi2u! Was only through complete chance I glanced at my Zwift screen (was watching Rugby on the TV) and saw your name pop up as you joined on me. You ended up with a couple of good riders around you I think? Tried to stick with you but hard to hold those wattages while trying to watch TV! Lost you in the crowds! ;)

I was doing a good Zwift base session, towards the end there were parts of several group rides passing so I got some higher intensity work done. Just as I was finishing up I recalled seeing a 'WBR Fast Lap' listed so as I was feeling good I jumped on it for an easy ZP result.

https://www.strava.com/activities/906585695

http://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=4866

As I was well warmed up I smashed it early, a group of 5-6 of us working well, 4 left for the final half of the race. But I'd done too much previously to finish any better than 4th. Two guys getting up the road around 2 miles before the end and the 3rd place guy putting a couple of seconds into me before I opened my finish, had to go for a long sprint but couldn't catch him so eased off at the finish. Looking at the results the power averages put me into CAT A so was racing CAT A guys! Not many in the race but I was well in front (time & w/kg) of the CAT B's I'd normally be racing! :cool:

330W avg first half/295W avg second is around 315W avg for 15mins, might mean I need to do another FTP test... (FTP currently set as 271W!) ;)

I've got the trainer for a whole week. Maybe I will buy a skewer then. May as well get some use out of it!
A new trainer will generally come with a skewer, but there's no harm in having a spare for future use! The Kurt Kinetic one is generally the cheapest and in stock most places, understand it works with most trainers too (but worth double checking online). One note, they are steel coated and not stainless steel, so if you're using the same bike outside after a few months it'll start to rust. Generally doesn't affect the use of it (threads inside are a separate material), just looks untidy.

Soldato
@Roady - you racing tonight?? - I'm tempted to give the KISS race a go again. Cat C was crazy from the get go last time. According to the categories I should still be cat C (270ftp/89kg) But was over the limit of 3.2kg at the end of the race. Not sure I can hang with Cat B's. Could team up and have a go if you fancy it?

Back
Top Bottom