The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Oh.. I hadn't realised it's a new stage every few days. Probably because I did a lot of make up rides last year after starting the whole thing late. Doubt I'll do stage 2 in that case.

Associate
Oh.. I hadn't realised it's a new stage every few days. Probably because I did a lot of make up rides last year after starting the whole thing late. Doubt I'll do stage 2 in that case.
1 stage during the week, 1 at the weekend. 3 to 4 categories in each stage.

Again I don't know why the pro events aren't riding the same stages.... Feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

Associate
Finished the stage 2 long ride earlier. It was the biggest effort I'd put in for a while and got a new PB on the AdZ of 44:54. I'll probably feel happy about that after a long lie down. HR peaked at 184 - I didn't know it did that any more.

Associate
Finished the stage 2 long ride earlier. It was the biggest effort I'd put in for a while and got a new PB on the AdZ of 44:54. I'll probably feel happy about that after a long lie down. HR peaked at 184 - I didn't know it did that any more.
That's a great effort!

In a way it must be better to have the stamina to get it over and done with quicker than slowly grinding it out.

My big mistake is trying to complete the working from home achievement at the same time as the first 3 stages...

Associate
That's a great effort!

In a way it must be better to have the stamina to get it over and done with quicker than slowly grinding it out.

My big mistake is trying to complete the working from home achievement at the same time as the first 3 stages...

Thank you :) It seems ZwiftPower has bumped me up to Cat A too. I guess everyone has a different power, stamina and levels of bloodymindedness to ignore the discomfort and keep going at a certain pace, but it was good to stop. I'm really not sure why I do it sometimes.

Is the working from home thing one of the Zwift badges for doing rides over many consecutive days? If it's meant that you haven't had a rest day it certainly wouldn't make it easier!

Associate
Thank you :) It seems ZwiftPower has bumped me up to Cat A too. I guess everyone has a different power, stamina and levels of bloodymindedness to ignore the discomfort and keep going at a certain pace, but it was good to stop. I'm really not sure why I do it sometimes.

Is the working from home thing one of the Zwift badges for doing rides over many consecutive days? If it's meant that you haven't had a rest day it certainly wouldn't make it easier!
Yeah 14 days in a row to get a badge. Realised I had a run of days so thought I'd carry on. Keep getting carried away and putting too much effort in when I should rest for the big tdz rides.
Should hopefully get the badge tomorrow, then have a swim and I'm sure feel burned out ready for stage 3 on Monday :D

I'm certainly not in your league though, even on fresh legs.

Soldato
Just comical today riding the long route in France. Guy locked in at 7.2w/kg minimum and often at 9+ with quad koms, another at 5.7 locked or at 0, then later on three guys almost multi boxing the game in a horizontal line doing intervals. They were all on average bikes for the flat and one was somehow able to keep up at 0.9 w/kg despite not being in the draft. I think I was around 90 miles in at the time and on an sworks venge with 858s and at between 3.5-4.5 mostly they would pull despite averaging quite a bit less. At 280w and 71.5kg up a low gradient, the guy was pulling away at 216w. Took a look at the profile, guy looked heavy to say the least. Not even sure how they were doing it, as it's only the third time I've seen it.

Soldato
Banging time that! I still cant get it to within an hour, just looked at the KOM strava section. 30 minutes at an average speed of 24km/h. How is that even possible???
Did stage 2 yesterday afternoon. Was going really well until about section 10 then just fell away, was partly tired, partly bored and partly distracted by watching the cricket at the same time. Managed to pull myself back together but those last few sectors with the walls of snow either side are so tough and I lost it again. Completed it but no PB. After going through the finish line chose to stay in Watopia to get some free KMs on the way back down, game froze on me at the start of the descent. Completely locked up so couldn't save it or upload it which was disappointing however it has registered me as completing stage 2 when I log into the companion on my phone and I've unlocked the glasses. Great. :cool::rolleyes:

Associate
At 280w and 71.5kg up a low gradient, the guy was pulling away at 216w. Took a look at the profile, guy looked heavy to say the least. Not even sure how they were doing it, as it's only the third time I've seen it.
I can't say I've seen anything while riding that couldn't be explained by manipulating weight and/or power, but I have noticed some very odd results in ZwiftPower events, e.g. someone at 98kg averaging 1.6W/kg finishing amongst others at over 4W/kg. Could it be an occasional Zwift bug instead of cheating? I did have one session a few weeks ago where I joined a pace partner and immediately got the 100km/h badge - I re-started Zwift and all was back to normal, so it didn't seem like a bike problem. Perhaps I shouldn't have aborted the ride to see what would have happened?

After going through the finish line chose to stay in Watopia to get some free KMs on the way back down, game froze on me at the start of the descent. Completely locked up so couldn't save it or upload it which was disappointing however it has registered me as completing stage 2 when I log into the companion on my phone and I've unlocked the glasses. Great. :cool::rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure I've seen some forum posts somewhere saying that this is a known bug, but at least you didn't have to do it all again to get the stage 2 badge! Enjoy the glasses :cool::D.

Soldato
I sadly missed out on stage 2 as I was at a mates getting an Indian after a visit to the zoo.

I was looking forward to doing AdZ in a race to see how fast I could go. Maybe another time.

Managed to get stage 3 finished on Tuesday. Never ridden the route so was surprised at how tough the twisty bits and the climb are. Started with 2500 people and managed to finish 64th in the second bunch. 360w for 3 minutes, 350w for 9 minutes and 304w for 50 mins :o

My legs were in bits today, heart rate was all good but legs were like lead.

Soldato
I was also hoping to do AdZ in a "race" but I didn't have an excuse as elaborate as that :D I simply failed to realise it was only on the weekend and I'd rather ride outside. I'll have to try do it in the make-up rides.

Soldato
Only two fingers?

Did stage 3 last night after work, pretty tough as I always struggle energy wise late afternoons, 30+ degrees too. Much prefer morning gym or riding sessions. Was in a good group, averaged 41km/h. PB'd both my 5 minute and 20 minute output. Had never done that route either, the climb and the twists certainly don't look much on paper but were splitting the group every time.

Just bought myself the Canyon Grail for stage 4. Not used one before and there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the gravel bikes and wasn't going to get a MTB as they look daft.

Soldato
@wonko

Yes, perhaps a bug although I'm doubtful of that. When I've seen it before, it's like you describe, except this time there was three riders and it's as if they were carrying each other. Two from same club/team. All three started same time. I do like the fake profile pictures some use those :D

Associate
I've just done the same, but I think I also bought a MTB as by the looks of things they're the fastest round the route...

That's what I read too. I can't see myself bothering to change bikes for an off-road course other than events like this so the Zwift mountain bike will do. Save for drops I'm interested in instead.

Soldato
. Completed it but no PB. After going through the finish line chose to stay in Watopia to get some free KMs on the way back down, game froze on me at the start of the descent. Completely locked up so couldn't save it or upload it which was disappointing however it has registered me as completing stage 2 when I log into the companion on my phone and I've unlocked the glasses. Great. :cool::rolleyes:

You can manually upload the .fit file to strava if you wanted to. Had this happen to me this week too.

Associate
Yes, perhaps a bug although I'm doubtful of that. When I've seen it before, it's like you describe, except this time there was three riders and it's as if they were carrying each other. Two from same club/team. All three started same time. I do like the fake profile pictures some use those :D

Fair point, three riding together would seem beyond unlikely if it was a bug that only showed up unpredictably. Someone must have found something they can exploit though.

I watched a DEFCON presentation on cheating using USB MITM attacks a while ago, and it doesn't look too hard to do if you were reasonably technical and motivated. But I'd guess the vast majority is done more simply through being optimistic with entered weight, knowingly using an over-reading power meter or riding an ebike. Even if you try not to be bothered by others on Zwift, it is still hard not to be a bit peeved if you go for a sprint/KOM/route jersey and they've all been taken with unrealistic times, or race against someone that has suddenly lost weight.

Associate
Completed stage 4 at lunch.
Highly recommend using the mountain bike as I was flying past road bikes who were putting out more w/kg.

Fairly quick course to do but a lot of it is degrees of climbing or just slower going due to resistance.

Back
Top Bottom