The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
I’ve ordered a stages SB20!

Now just have to wait for it to arrive and then see how much my FTP drops with 2 months of inactivity and changing from a wheel-on-trainer.
Nice! Don't forget to buy some pedals though or you'll have another wait.
I've been very pleased with mine - if you've got any queries then give me a shout.

Soldato
Had been giving the trainer a bit of a miss but time short last night meant I had a Zwift race. The static position really gives your backside a punishing compared to on the road! Otherwise harder than I remembered pushing the watts!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Had been giving the trainer a bit of a miss but time short last night meant I had a Zwift race. The static position really gives your backside a punishing compared to on the road! Otherwise harder than I remembered pushing the watts!

Yeah it does. Some people buy a rocker plate to try and make this a little better. The Kickr I have moves from side to side a fair bit but even that isn't really enough.

Soldato
Got a second place in cat D race this morning over 47km. Lost out by 0.4 secs for a time of 1.18.08. Very happy with a podium though, only my second one after a third place the other week. According to zwift I averaged 222w while the guy who beat me was 195 :rolleyes:

Soldato
Got a second place in cat D race this morning over 47km. Lost out by 0.4 secs for a time of 1.18.08. Very happy with a podium though, only my second one after a third place the other week. According to zwift I averaged 222w while the guy who beat me was 195 :rolleyes:

Don't read into that too much. I've been over 100W avg more than people finishing around the same place as me. I must ride very inefficiently, or just out on the front too much rather than in the group.

Soldato
I did my very first Zwift race a few days ago, my FTP is 3.4 so I was dropped straight into Cat B... :eek:

Lost the main B group after about 2 corners, despite putting out 450w or 5.7w/kg for the first minute. Settled in with the lead C group and a couple of B riders, ended up 15th of 17 in B on zwift power.

Talk about in at the deep end! :cry: I did choose a short race (3 laps of the volcano) thinking it would be easier but I'm now reading that the starts on shorter races are harder...

Soldato
I wouldn't worry. From what I have seen the whole Zwift racing system is an absolute cluster ****. Most of the results and numbers make little sense and there seems to be no end of cheaters. Had a great race this morning, bumped up to Cat C and held my own. Cat A winner average 5w/kg, peaked at 2,000w and had an average HR of 121bpm. Whatever. Just take it for what it is and try and have fun with it. It's a bit of competitive action and a great workout, not much else really matters :)

Soldato
I did my very first Zwift race a few days ago, my FTP is 3.4 so I was dropped straight into Cat B... :eek:

Lost the main B group after about 2 corners, despite putting out 450w or 5.7w/kg for the first minute. Settled in with the lead C group and a couple of B riders, ended up 15th of 17 in B on zwift power.

Talk about in at the deep end! :cry: I did choose a short race (3 laps of the volcano) thinking it would be easier but I'm now reading that the starts on shorter races are harder...
Have a look on Zwift power for more realistic results. It will filter out heavy cheating or odd flyers.

There’s a technique to the starts, I’d say ride 5.5-6wkg for the first 30 seconds, you want to be towards the front but not on the front and don’t ease off and slip back as any gaps that open will be impossible to close. It’s a mix of the initial acceleration from 0 and the drafting affect making it difficult.

Be ready for the first 2-5 minutes to be grim death speed depending on how hard everyone else is going but then it should slow down and be more in line with the expected average. At 3.4 you’ll be pushed in B, 3.6-3.7 should see you in the front group regularly I’d say.

Soldato
I think I fixed what I thought was knackered BB being amplified on the trainer. I think it’s the fold down legs and the latch/pivot point (Neo), lubricated then just with some WD40 and seemed much better.

fez

fez

Caporegime
First go up alpe du Zwift in a poor time of 1:18. Would have been slightly faster but I thought I was done one zone early.

People doing that sub 40 are mental. That was brutal. Gonna aim for sub 60 by the end of the year.

Soldato
Yeah I have to get off every half hour or so walk up and down the garage a couple of times then hop back on. I thought I had my bike setup wrong but seems a common complaint.

Soldato
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about a new turbo, there are some good deals on Rutland Cycles, with 15% extra discount off certain items in addition to sales prices that ends 31st May (Tuesday). I have a Saris H3 coming for ~£484, yep it's a model that's a few years old, but it gets great rep esdpecially for ERG workouts and I've seen nothing better than ~£600 anywhere else new over the last few months.

Soldato
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about a new turbo, there are some good deals on Rutland Cycles, with 15% extra discount off certain items in addition to sales prices that ends 31st May (Tuesday). I have a Saris H3 coming for ~£484, yep it's a model that's a few years old, but it gets great rep esdpecially for ERG workouts and I've seen nothing better than ~£600 anywhere else new over the last few months.

Wow - good price. I got my H3 from Rutland last November for £550. DC Rainmaker referenced the other day that the smart turbo market is big stuffed post lockdown - there's not many people left to buy them now, so discounting is rife.

It very smooth in ERG on both Sufferfest (sorry, Systm) and Zwift.

Soldato
Touch wood my Neo just keeps working…. Don’t have the spare money to replace if it was to die! Not getting too much use with it being summer, maybe once a week still though.

Back
Top Bottom