The Invention of Lying

Soldato
went to see this last nigt

was really looking forward to it but left feelign somewhat disappointed.

nice idea, starts ok but then it just seems to run out of steam.

Soldato
I was going to watch this yesterday, but didn't get to fit it in my schedule.

Watched Toy story 3D, Surrogates and Pandorum instead :D

Might give Invention of lying a miss as I was going to watch it next week along with Zombieland and Up

Associate
went to see this last nigt

was really looking forward to it but left feelign somewhat disappointed.

nice idea, starts ok but then it just seems to run out of steam.

I agree, I'm a huge Ricky Gervais fan and was really looking forward to watching this but, like you, felt a bit disappointed. The amount of children in the cinema didn't help mind you.

It could have been a great film, and there was a couple of funny moments but overall was quite slow.

Soldato
Went to see it last night. I found it to be an ok film. Not something I would recommend though, especially if your going in with the intension of wanting to laugh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Invention of Lying

Anyone seen this yet?

We went to see it last night and weren't impressed tbh, had it funny moments but no where as frequent as Ghost Town

I guess probably reading a little bit about the film before hand as the idea of a world where no one has the facility to lie is a little lame but having said that I'll watch anything with Ricky Gervais in so it probably wouldn't of made much of a difference

daz

daz

Soldato
Ricky Gervais given free reign would have been 15 cert plus wouldn't it... I know he's supposed to have been allowed to do his "own thing" but I can't help but think that he's been told to keep everything within the confines of a PG-13. I think his comedy suffers for it as he's one of the funnier comedians that uses swearing and lewdness to good effect...

Associate
i watched this the other night. As said above i wasnt really impressed with it, also the concept of no lie's...thats fine, but what was with people needing to say the truth, people just blurting out stuff was abit wierd imo

Associate
I enjoyed The Office, Extras and his live dvd's but I thought Ghost Town was terrible, think I'll wait for this one on dvd or tv. Dont like the Hollywood Gervais so far.

Associate
I enjoyed The Office, Extras and his live dvd's but I thought Ghost Town was terrible, think I'll wait for this one on dvd or tv. Dont like the Hollywood Gervais so far.

Hmm, the thing is, Ricky wasn't involved in any of the writing for Ghost Town. Whereas he did write The Invention of Lying (along with Matthew Robinson), but there was no Merchant involved.

Cemetery Junction however is written and directed by both Gervais and Merchant, so I suppose that will be the best indication of whether they've still "got it".

Theoretically that should mean Cemetery Junction > The Invention of Lying > Ghost Town.

For the record, I thought Ghost Town was alright.. Nowhere near the standard of The Office or Extras though. (But then again, TV series give you much more time for character development etc etc.)

Back
Top Bottom