The ITX Market is BROKEN - This is what needs to Change! 100% agree.

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxqX86xRqno

My big gripe is the PSU in front of the MB, so odd (IMO), I love how small the J-Hack cases are & the PSU placement (The Flexatx ones), but the freaken SFX one has the PSU above the MB, WHY!! Sorry, when you have the SG05 which is great, but if the case had a PSU on the side version, you could have a high heat CPU, cause you could have a 6 inch air cooler,

Soldato
the should design 17x17 PSUs to match the mini-itx footprint, opens up loads of options. Can sit below the motherboard for a cube design, or alongside it for a wider/shallower design. case manufactures could allow as much room as they want for the cpu cooler, then, and full size GPUs could be fit without any risers in a cube-style case or with a riser to sit on the other side of the motherboard in the wider/shallower case. There's no obvious drawback.

Associate
the should design 17x17 PSUs to match the mini-itx footprint, opens up loads of options. Can sit below the motherboard for a cube design, or alongside it for a wider/shallower design. case manufactures could allow as much room as they want for the cpu cooler, then, and full size GPUs could be fit without any risers in a cube-style case or with a riser to sit on the other side of the motherboard in the wider/shallower case. There's no obvious drawback.
Not sure that would be viable, with all current cases made to fit existing standards.

Soldato
My big gripe is the PSU in front of the MB, so odd (IMO), I love how small the J-Hack cases are & the PSU placement (The Flexatx ones), but the freaken SFX one has the PSU above the MB, WHY!! Sorry, when you have the SG05 which is great, but if the case had a PSU on the side version, you could have a high heat CPU, cause you could have a 6 inch air cooler,

The answer is pretty obvious in the case of the J-Hack Pure XL; there isn't any other way to fit a compact GPU and an SFX PSU in to 6.5L. They could increase case width to ~240mm and then give people the option of installing a GPU or a PSU at the bottom of the case. Or they could increase case depth to ~256mm and put the SFX PSU next to the RAM, retaining GPU compatibility. But these options increase case volume to 7.15L and 8.7L respectively.

As for the SG05, it hails from a different era. Yeah, there's space to put the PSU at the front. But doing so removes hard drive and optical drive support in favour of better CPU cooling options. Back in 2009, that wouldn't have seemed like a good compromise, firstly because these drives were still critically important to most, and secondly because there were issues limiting the thermal demands of the CPU anyway (e.g. PSU capacities, poor power delivery on ITX boards). If Silverstone ever redesign it, I would be surprised if they didn't move the PSU to the front, as that would be a lot more in keeping with how the market is now.

Soldato
OP
The answer is pretty obvious in the case of the J-Hack Pure XL; there isn't any other way to fit a compact GPU and an SFX PSU in to 6.5L. They could increase case width to ~240mm and then give people the option of installing a GPU or a PSU at the bottom of the case. Or they could increase case depth to ~256mm and put the SFX PSU next to the RAM, retaining GPU compatibility. But these options increase case volume to 7.15L and 8.7L respectively.

As for the SG05, it hails from a different era. Yeah, there's space to put the PSU at the front. But doing so removes hard drive and optical drive support in favour of better CPU cooling options. Back in 2009, that wouldn't have seemed like a good compromise, firstly because these drives were still critically important to most, and secondly because there were issues limiting the thermal demands of the CPU anyway (e.g. PSU capacities, poor power delivery on ITX boards). If Silverstone ever redesign it, I would be surprised if they didn't move the PSU to the front, as that would be a lot more in keeping with how the market is now.
I like how the SGPC K40 is, not a thing wrong with it, a bit annoyed the no internal ODD thing going now. All these small cases that can go under a TV. You shouldn't have to hook up a Ext. ODD IMO. I wish the SGPC K49 could fit my GPU, it would be awesome to have my pc in that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom