1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Labour Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by q974739, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faustus

Soldato

Bilking, like tax avoidance/evasion is on the rise.

2. Gigabit

Mobster

I do agree it was a poor interview. She did state it was due to poor health.

Irrespective of that - and I promise I'm not trying to whatabout myself out of it - there are much, much bigger problems than that interview, that's the reality. And the fact the Tories keep bringing this interview up is just a form of distraction.

3. Faustus

Soldato

There are few bigger problems than the prospect that Dianne Abbot could at some point (if the UK electorate loses its collective sanity) be installed as the Home Secretary. I wouldn't trust her to be secretary of the local W.I.

4. RedvGreen

Mobster

In all honesty, I believe their manifesto intimated that they would continue with Police/Law/Order support, but they did not deliver on it at all. Then the big downward spiral occurred and the Police ended up in the gutter.

5. chrcoluk

Mobster

corbyn has done very well since becoming leader, but he is messing up over brexit, I feel he either needs to stay quiet or make a policy to remain on brexit. People who would have considered him are now staying away because of his view on brexit.

His policies locally are sound, on social security, housing, public services, taxes etc. It's just brexit letting him down.

6. Tony Edwards

Mobster

That might be as it is seen but lets remember that Keir Starmer is also saying the same things about brexit yet he gets no critisism even though some of those same people say they want someone like him to be leader. Anyway it might turn out that due to the sheer incompetence of the Tories, brexit could be canceled. If that happens I will laugh my pants off.

7. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Its terrible when you say something you think everyone else will find amusing and you have to keep explaining it.

That aside. Abbott had the figures in the papers she was holding and if what she said is true and she was having a low blood sugar reaction and couldnt find the figures knowing full well they where there, that in its self makes it harder for the person suffering because once confusion sets in due to low blood sugar it is hard to get out of that confusion.

8. dowie

Caporegime

It is strange how she seems to suffer from those symptoms in most of her interviews.

9. doodah

Capodecina

Fiona Onasanya is a cheeky sod! She's a convicted criminal, won't even address this and keeps spouting on how she's going to fight for injustices. She's supposedly considering an appeal. What happens if you lose an appeal regarding your sentence?

10. RDM

Capodecina

I’m both a teacher and a parent so I’m used to it...

Forgive me if I don’t have as much sympathy for Abbott as the party faithful.

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

Corbyn has been mostly behind, and only occasionally level with, one of the most incompetent governments in history.

How is that 'doing very well'?

12. Meridian

Man of Honour

I'm with him on this rare occasion. Labour should be 20 points ahead now, but barely even draw level. Please try not to confuse Corbyn's appeal to students with his appeal to the Country. Or even the Party at large

13. Faustus

Soldato

Whooa! what, the man's a liability and would be an unmitigated disaster for this country. His sound policies would bankrupt us and send out the message that not working 'does pay'.

14. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

What would you suggest Labour could do to be 20 points ahead ?

15. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

But you said he had no policies ;)

16. chrcoluk

Mobster

How would it bankrupt the country, you like a tortoise hiding in its shell because it fears if it pops his head out it will get chopped off.

The comment about not does pay says it all really, you have been riled in by the daily mail and the like with all their propaganda.

So basically anyone who invests goes bankrupt?

17. chrcoluk

Mobster

Its doing well in the sense he is standing for policies which were forgotten about in this country for last 3 decades. A voice for people who previously had no voice. Whether he is not 20 points ahead in the polls sadly is probably down to the fact most of england is leaning to the right and we have a largely selfish population who thinks about #1 ahead of benefits to society as a whole.

I have a lot more respect for a leader who sticks to principles like that over someone like blair who changed labour into a non labour party just so they could appeal to right wing voters.

Even whilst not in power, he is raising some good points in parliament when they debate stuff.

Do you think a fake labour leader like Miliband e.g. would have got the changes to UC that are currently been enacted now?

Also remember he doesnt have the luxury of the safe Scotland seats that previous leaders like blair had. Labour is handicapped now because of that shift to the SNP and as a result need more england seats to equal past results.

18. Scania

Capodecina

What?

Doing very well? I’d hate to see what doing badly looks like!

He’s lost an election, he’s lost a confidence vote from his own MP’s, he’s barely scraped a lead momentarily in the polls despite the government having more resignations and infighting in living memory,a few on his front bench are a plain liability and the country sees it and now he’s tabling a confidence motion that won’t pass.

The mans a joke and the country which is crying out for a strong opposition is not blind to it.

If Labour can’t get a lead in the polls in this current climate then they need to wake up and realise that he isn’t the messiah - plenty in Northern Ireland think he’s a very naughty boy mind you - he’s a throwback to a time long rejected by the electorate, whilst his local policies may appear to some as sound, his national ones aren’t by any means.

I sincerely hope - but don’t see it happening - that the government loses the confidence vote and we go to another general election where Corbyn will lose again and then , finally, the Labour Party wake up to the liability electorally that he is and actually find a credible leader and front bench.

19. Dolph

Man of Honour

The reason those policies were ignored for three decades is because they are rubbish in practice. The reason for their resurgence is that a large proportion of the electorate are ignorant of history or think it was lies and blame someone else. His policies are more in line with the communist party than Labour historically, corbyn has always been an outlier, far more so than Blair ever was.

Don't credit corbyn with getting changes that were the result of internal tory opposition, such as the changes to uc.

Corbyn is an electoral liability for labour, and the key reason why the party hasn't achieved a signficant positive spread (which is what matters in our electoral system) vs the currently terrible tory government.

It will get worse if he keeps pushing brexit, as all the research has shown, because his party members lean heavily to remain, as do his voters.

20. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Ill Be honest and say I dont much care for Abbott either but I do have sympathy for diabetics having a turn.

The reason the Tories are still polling so high is because of brexit and taxes. How anyone can say they would still vote for the Tories after all they have done over the last 8 years is disappointing. If it was Labour 30% Tories 30% rest undecided or others I could understand the critisism, but Tories still getting so many is just wrong and not much to do with Corbyn but more to do with peoples own bigotry/selfishness/misinformation.

As a Labour voter, if I didnt like the leader I would go green or undecided but never in a million years Tory. So no Im sorry. Those Tory votes are not anti Corbyn they are pro Tory. 40% is a lot of support for both either way.

I have a suspicion that only a portion of those polled are for party support and others are just someone trying to pick who they think would win because they want to be on the winning side. Not everyone has to vote yet until they make it compulsory. Then we might see a change in the way politics work.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.