1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Labour Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by q974739, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Do you really think this is news? Its been covered many times already. Oh yeah I get what you are doing.................

For consistency you should also be posting in the Tory thread about their mishandling of brexit.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. Meridian

Man of Honour

He neuterered all his serious critics a year or two back during the feeble attempts to remove him (Rees-Mogg learned everything he knows about coups from that). He is now almost entirely surrounded by other idealogues, with a sprinkling of people still putting ambition ahead of principle (it's the politiciaisn's motto). Even if he is told that making his Brexit support clear will move many Labour voters away, he simply won't believe it: he only ever sees people who agree with him these, so thinks that Labour Supporters are also in agreement. Because the ones who are not are ignored. I'm sure words like "recidivist" are used.

Not to mention the fact we are talking about Jeremy Corbyn here: a man who would walk off the edge of a cliff if his principles drifted in that direction. But who fails to care that politics is (to quote on of its masters): "the art of the possible". Principle is great in opposition, and really great in oppostion to your own party, but a liability in power, or for achieving it.

3. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

If you think that then you either havent been reading the papers or seen any other media sources.

4. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Oh dear the right are not going to like this plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/24/labour-government-tackle-climate-change

5. doodah

Capodecina

But what about the 'greenest' government ever?

6. RDM

Capodecina

Despise away. I vote depending on the circumstances at the time, the manifesto, sometimes the local candidate and sometimes the leader. It isn't contradictory, it is about not being wedded to ideology and blind tribalism.

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

This (my) post isn't about something unique to Labour but it would be interesting to know the how and what they will do that is really different and innovative - the problem with simply scaling up renewables as mentioned further down the article is that in this country peak generation is out of step with peak demand what we need is some serious advances in storage technology and possibly some advances in a range of innovative localised generation from mixed renewable sources.

A factory in Salford producing parts doesn't really work unfortunately as it is cheaper and more effective to have them made abroad - Labour might try and force it, even subsidise it but chances are in the long run it will fall apart as a scheme when tax payers realise where the money is coming from.

8. Meridian

Man of Honour

I see some mind criticism from people who look afraid of their own shadows. I do NOT see any sign of even slight willingness to stand up to him. He is fully is fully in control of the party until he loses the next election. Even then he will probably manage to hand the succession onto another safe (i.e. Left) pair of hands. I'm old enough to remember this from last time they got kicked out of power.

9. Dolph

Man of Honour

Labour faces ‘mass challenge’ over Brexit policy

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...hallenge-over-brexit-policy-second-referendum

Kind of puts pay to the idea that Labour need to maintain a pro brexit stance or see their vote smashed...

10. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

Heres one example...

Brexit Discussion

12. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Nope. Still not seeing anyone saying that "Labour need to maintain a "pro brexit" stance". Do I need to read between the lines or something?

13. Gigabit

Mobster

If Corbyn doesn't come out for a second referendum post the VONC failing, then he must go.

14. SPG

Mobster

Labour are about as an effective majority opposition as myself. I.e useless.

Momentum are scary as hell and we desperately need Labour to split along with the lib dems calling it a day.

15. Rroff

Man of Honour

The Lib Dems haven't called it a day? you'd be forgiven for imaging they had the amount of presence (lack of) lately.

16. StriderX

Capodecina

When has an opposition done anything functionally useful? Can someone actually tell me what a minority opposition is meant to do when we have two parties so "party above all"... It's useless because it always has been. (The Blair years were about as relevant as it ever got because it was Red Tory vs Pork Tory)

Having a different leader is not going to suddenly solve anything for anyone, the government will still have terrible ministers and terrible policies backed by people who'll never ******* change their vote regardless.

Governing fundamentally needs to change, not the leader of the "opposition".

17. SPG

Mobster

Lots and lots of committees...

But the system is not fit for the uk anymore, Most people are aware of this apart from the upper middle class who love to tell us all how to behave.

We need a sensible revolution, general strikes not aligned to any of the majoe partys.

18. DarkHorizon472

Wise Guy

That's pretty much where we are now, a minority divided government propped up by the £1.6bn to the DUP continually infighting while aside from Brexit the key issues in the country are not being dealt with. Labour do not have enough MP's to beat the government in any vote but due to the way things are , the government is being defeated due to its own MP's voting against it. The key problem is how to hold the government to account.

19. SPG

Mobster

Its always the same, the only time the conservatives perform as a unit is when in opposition a simple focus of power power as soon as they get in the division starts along with their greed.

20. Bluntwrapped

Mobster

We have the most incompetent tory government in living history and the Labour party have absolutely nothing..

Labour and the tories -Two cheeks of the same useless arse. The UK political system as we know it needs to go.