1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Labour Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by q974739, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

You are probably very right, but sadly I still cant see the hate for Labour changing with a different leader. The press and those on the right will always find a way to be against them. Its like how they made Gordon Brown seem unelectable as PM and pushed Clegg and the Libdems and the vileness towards Ed was just horrendous.

It would seem that those on the right will only be happy once Labour has a leader that the left cant or wont vote for.

2. GAC

Mobster

i think gordon brown did a good enough job of making himself un electable with his "that woman" incident. showing what you really feel about the dirty little people who dare make comments you dont like to you.

3. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Yeah brexit! That could have fueled it.

4. Gigabit

Mobster

Brown was right, she was a bigot

5. GAC

Mobster

yet the mask slipped and the public saw his views on talking with people he didnt want to rather than having a grown up conversation about things. you know what politicians claim to be all about. but gordon didnt want that weather she's a bigot or not it shouldnt matter he should have taken her on head on and shown her up rather than having a hissy fit to his staff when he thought no one could hear him.

6. Faustus

Soldato

Don't know if anyone has been watching the re-run of the documentary Dan Snow did on the East India Company? The things we did out in India and China are pretty shameful.

7. Dolph

Man of Honour

8. FishFluff

Mobster

9. Dolph

Man of Honour

The writer makes some good and well thought out points, however he completely fails to address the simple test as to whether antizionism is antisemitism, which is about consistency.

If you're levelling criticism at or expecting outcomes relating to Israel that you don't apply or expect relating to other countries, then you're antisemitic. If you apply consistent beliefs, then you are probably not.

So if you believe that Israel should not exist because it is an ethno-state, do you apply the same logic to Saudi Arabia or Iran?

10. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

I wonder when we'll see the evidence.

I don't fully disagree with you, but Israel is painted by much of the west as being a wonderful place. You don't hear that about Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  11. Dolph

Man of Honour

12. Uther

Sgarrista

13. Dolph

Man of Honour

14. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

15. Faustus

Soldato

Yet more faux outrage by those looking to be offended or simply make political capital. I couldn’t care less if I’m called ‘whitie’ pink or any shade thereof. The language used by Ms Rudd is the term used for most of my life and she certainly wasn’t using it in a derogatory way. She was in fact defending her.

16. jimjamuk

Mobster

I dont understand - maybe I haven't had my 6 monthly BAME training but what is this weeks acceptable word for describing someone like Ms Abbott?? I cant keep up with what is fine this week that might be offensive next

17. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Yeah, it was, and for some randomer I'd say that it was mountain-molehill stuff, but an MP is a public figure and representative of tens of thousands. They should know how to speak without accidentally offending people. It's not that hard to stay on top of. Still, it's not a major deal.

18. Faustus

Soldato

As jimjamuk remarks, one has no idea from one week to the next what is likely to cause offense these days.

Worse things happen at sea. Personally I will stick with what I know.

19. Rroff

Man of Honour

Disagree on that - sayings/turns of phrase that have been used without intention to cause offence for decades suddenly become SUPER OFFENSIVE practically overnight these days.

20. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

Well I hate to say it but to be fair to the BNP they only had to change a bit in their membership that only white people can join.

Hopefully they will move on to the Tories after and take a look at their racism, intended or otherwise. I must say I dont like the way all the people that said Labour are definitely anti semitic on the slimmest of evidence dont hold the Tories to the same standards about racism to other races/groups.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019