1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Labour Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by q974739, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolph

Man of Honour

Even being generous, it's massively incompetent and tone deaf.

2. Tony Edwards

Mobster

That is funnily quite ironic considering
    Hardy the same is it Dolphy?

Shame you ruined what could have been an amusing aside and tried to compare a pretty stupid mistake of a loaf of bread to the Tories posting pork for muslims when you could have easily stuck with the jewish angle.

Still. Hardly in the same league as underfunding schools, the police, the NHS, council funding, social services, contributing to the rise in food banks, the increase in the suicide rate among not just those with mental or financial problems, the ignoring of polution targets, bringing us closer to the break up of the UK, bringing us closer to leaving the EU, making us a laughing stock world wide (thanks to Trump we arent the worst, but still close).

Also still not acknowledging their problem with institutional racism with not just muslims but those of many other countries origin even white EU nationals and many, many other shameful things the Tories have brought us in the last nine years.

Keep it real Dolph!

3. Tony Edwards

Mobster

As there isnt a bash Diane Abbott thread yet Ill post this here.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...gises-for-drinking-mojito-on-public-transport
    Ill admit that I dont really have any interest in this story except to say it would have been so much funnier if the Transport Police had had to arrest her for drinking on TFL

Best comment so far has to be.
    Oh silly me there is of course one in GD.

4. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Banning alcohol on TfL was the first thing Boris did as Mayor, but it isn't a crime and there's no authority to arrest her.

5. dowie

Caporegime

Erm yeah it is... he didn't just request that people stop, he literally banned it ergo drinking it is illegal and you can be prosecuted for it.

6. VincentHanna

Capodecina

According to the BBC nobody has ever been arrested with drinking on the tube/TFL

It's a ban that the MET police support and you could be arrested for doing so, but I imagine they just take it off people and send them on their way.

7. The_Abyss

Capodecina

So it looks like Labour staff have unanimously rejected a final offer from management on pay and conditions, and will now strike. Workers are represented by Unite and GMB.

Trade unions have accused Labour of seeking to divide and conquer staff by making three separate offers.

8. doodah

Capodecina

RSS feed + a fairly stupid but minor mistake. Does that class as on objective post? Or one that fits your Labour/Corbyn-hating agenda?

So that's posting a headline but leaving out a rather important part of the story from your post and this in recent times - you have so many legitimate reasons/evidence but lift the veil slightly with less than objective posts like these.

9. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Okay?

Wasnt sure where to post this. I was torn between the brexit thread, the Tory thread or the anti Labour thread.

Anyway. It turns out the funny tinge party would back May if a VONC was brought forward. Yes they are willing to back May if the chance to get rid of both May and the Tories came about.

So not a one policy party after all. It would seem their other policy is now to keep the Tories in power.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ay-confidence-vote-tig-election-a8882401.html
    I wonder if a lot of it has to do with them not wanting to lose their jobs in the event of a general election as apart from Chuka I can see any of the others keeping their seat.

10. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Not really ok, no. A polarity between what is preached for the workers of the UK that is not matched by the treatment of their own workers.

11. Tony Edwards

Mobster

I meant in the case of not much info. I tried to find the story but couldnt. Although I do remember reading about it some months (?) ago.

Just curious what the disagreement is.

12. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Voila: https://www.politicshome.com/news/u...103401/excl-embarrassment-labour-bosses-staff

The dispute was over pay, as the original offer was below inflation hence my comment hinting at double standards. This during a time when, ironically, the party has been in the black since 2015 after many years of losses, despite the huge losses incurred by LabourLive.

13. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Yes quite ironic considering most of the new money coming in is from those that support Corbyn and his kinder politics, although I doubt Corbyn has any involvement in it. Glad to see its not about worsening conditions though.

Not on strike just yet though it would seem just threatening.

Not so flush it would seem at the moment.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  14. doodah

Capodecina

Only another week until the recall petition for Fiona Onasanya ends, she's been also having a solicitor tribunal in August. If she actually owned up to it and showed some remorse she might not be hated so much.

15. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Another recall for a Welsh Tory MP Davis for over claiming expenses. Seems the standard of MPs has hit rock bottom.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48022800

16. Dolph

Man of Honour

Voting for change without acknowledging what that change might be is the action of idiots.

The alternatives to a May led minority government are likely to be a Boris or similar led tory party or a corbyn led labour. It is certainly a very feasible position to consider both of those to be worse options than May, despite May setting the bar pretty low.

17. Stretch

Capodecina

It's in their interest to buy as much time as possible to establish roots (funding, party machinery) just like the big boys have.

There are very few MPs who are electable in their own right, just as there are very few political parties that are electable without a brand.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  18. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Another reason why Change UK was such a very, very bad party name.

19. robgmun

Suspended

It was the best thing when it came in, i remember before the ban was in place dugged up drunks on the central line were getting to be a real problem at the weekend day or night. It was getting to a point where people (myself included) felt unsafe to travel on the Tube. The problem literally disappeard overnight once the ban came into force.

20. Freakbro

Capodecina

I was in London the other week and on the underground there were 2 guys with Stella cans in their hand, it was in the afternoon I think, it looked out of place but I didn't think anything of it - other than it was a bit early for travel drinks :p I didn't know drinking had been banned on tfl, but then no-one else seemed to be paying much attention to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.