1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Labour Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by q974739, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Dolph

Man of Honour

2. Murphy

Wise Guy

You can't really judge how spending has changed on either a departmental or total basis though, you really need to look at the per person spending, not that I've looked that up (would be interesting to know).

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

Here you go, it's remained pretty static over the last few years when adjusted for inflation.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04033

It's not that easy to find long term trends for though.

The clear thing is there is way more variance between regions than between years... With England, especially the South, losing out significantly.

4. Murphy

Wise Guy

Forget that, I'm going crazy :)

5. Dolph

Man of Honour

Following up on their plans for an illegal (under current eu human rights laws) and unethical, not to mention economically illiterate smash and grab raid on water shareholders, the financial Times has a story about labour planning the same thing with energy companies.

This is definitely the same kind of economic idiocy that Corbyn praised venezuela for, and if not destroyed by the courts, would have the same effect of destroying investment in the UK.

I haven't linked to the story as you have to be a subscriber, but it is linked from the guardians politics live feed tonight.

6. JRS

Capodecina

7. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

How could or would anyone say it was a great barometer of success? What a stupid tweet.

8. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

Not sure about a Corbyn fan but Corbyn went from 25% behind to a hung parliament in the general election, that’s a good result but did not win. In the local elections labour lost seats but nothing compared to the huge number the conservatives did. In the a European elections my guess is as a national party covering many issues including brexit they played the long game for the next general election not alienating the around 33% of Labour voters who support brexit.

How this plays out remains to be seen.

9. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Scotland used to be a Labour fiefdom last night in the Edinburgh and district region they came sixth. Overall they came fifth which must rank as one of their worst ever results.

10. ubersonic

Capodecina

I'm not a Corbyn fan, however I believe this is one of those situations where context is relevant (tbh most situations are to varying degrees), to put it simply have you ever heard of Apollo 13? I assume so but for context Apollo 13 was a moon mission which is classified as a sucessful failure, because the moon landing had to be aborted but the ship returned to earth and nobody was injured. This is the type of grey areas listed in the example.

You see, losing a GE is indeed not a sucess, but managing to get the most votes in a GE your party has achieved since 1997 (and also the 5th best performance of your parties entire existance) is hardly a failure. It's hardly Corbyns fault that May managed to get the most votes in a GE her party had achieved since 1992 (and also the 6th best performance of her partys entire existance, hell she beat Churchill's performance post WW2 lol).

It's a fairly sound stratergy TBH, if the new Tory leader calls a snap GE before Brexit then it will result in either a Labour government or a Labour/LibDem coalition (due to the BXP splitting the Tory vote just like the UKRP did in '97). If they hold off on the next GE until after Brexit then (assuming Corbyn doesn't knife the queen in the meantime) then it still results in either a Labour government or a Labour/LibDem coalition (due to the Tories getting hurt by the loss of support from "betrayed" right wing Remainers, similar to how the Lib Dem were hurt in 2015).

If Corbyn did intend to end up in this situation then he's played a blinder as the Tories are virtually checkmated by their own noose here (I know it's not a phrase, but it's obvious what I mean).

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  11. Mr Jack

Capodecina

There's two problems: (1) alienating 67% to save 33% is bad politics in anyone's book, and (2) their "stop Farage" messaging prior to the election is alienating a substantial proportion of that 33% anyway.

12. Tony Edwards

Wise Guy

13. StriderX

Capodecina

Safe to say that is going to be a strange by election assuming LibDems continue their luck at the expense of both parties.

14. Slam62

Soldato

Let's take a wild stab in the dark, Brexit will win followed by libdems.

15. StriderX

Capodecina

Oops

16. Slam62

Soldato

Lol which ones?

17. Slam62

Soldato

18. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Oh look, another millionaire who wants Brexit.

Doesn't that tell you something?

19. a1ex2001

Capodecina

20. doodah

Capodecina

*slow clap* - all this time to come to this conclusion. And that's if you even believe it.....