1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Labour Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by q974739, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Oh dear not a good day for you is it.
    NO he isnt. Infact I think that is fairly tame for him. He must be seething right now.
    That might have been because Miliband was from jewish descent all be it a Marxist one, and we all know that Dolph stands up for the Jewish community above all else. Nah.

2. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I think it can be raised, as in the context of Labour's persistent problem with anti-semitism it is another example. My objection was to how it was positioned - as a neutral I don't think that what she did warrants the nature of the comment in isolation.

Doubtless he'll come back fighting, but it felt over the top to me and not really to the standard that SC should be (but is often failing) to aspire to.

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

Maybe link to a news article not a video and you'll get the full story, which won't make you seem either careless or wilfully misleading as you have been above.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...rbes-liked-antisemitic-posts-on-a4161821.html

The common labour excuse of claiming not to have noticed the racism they are liking and commenting favourably on continues to be laughable.

4. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I enjoy reading lots of things I don't agree with.

5. Mr Jack

Capodecina

VincentHanna's description is a lot less misleading than the one you've chosen. If someone links a video on Facebook the main thing you see is the video and not the full text. Hell, watch it on mobile and you may well not even see the whole text. The post looks very like the "Britain First" approach of getting people to like stuff by attaching your message to something that a lot of people would like - in this case, a nice video regarding the Christchurch attack - and hoping they don't notice what your actual game is. Honestly, it's not that hard to find the actual post (now unliked) showing exactly what she did, so I find it bizarre that so many news reports are not doing so and wilfully misrepresenting it with quotes like the one you gave instead. The other thread seems harder to understand, although I agree the comments under the line are unobjectionable it's not like you could miss the post that they're on.

I can believe people click on stuff without thinking it through, although I'd think by now politicians would be more careful, but what I find bizarre is how many Labour MPs/supporters/activists seem to be in a position where they're seeing and interacting with this stuff enough for this to be a possibility. While my Twitter feed gets plenty of turds floating by since I make a point of seeking out opposing views there, the closest I come to seeing people posting anti-Semitic stuff is the Canary's apologetics every time another Labour bod embarrasses themselves.

The fact that she seemingly has shrugged this off like water from a duck's back and the Labour hierarchy apparently consider it not worth a serious mention is disturbing. There is still far too casual an attitude to anti-Semitism in the Labour party and the excuses have worn thin. The fact that realpolitik seems like a plausible excuse right now - Labour needed to win this seat badly - is merely testament to the terrible state of the Labour party. With a more credible leader we'd be riding high in the polls, and hammering this complete mess of a Tory party left, right, and centre.

6. RedvGreen

Mobster

After today, Labour need a VONC in Corbyn. Get Milliband back, and oppose BoJo the Psycho!

7. Lartyconshayo

Wise Guy

Not sure it's Corbyn's fault that 8 Labour MP's chose to vote against a Labour tabled motion to protect the country from no-deal

8. robgmun

Capodecina

Milliband is a kitten and wouldn't do much better in the popularity stakes than Corbyn. But at least it would drag the Labour back from the hard left a bit

9. Dolph

Man of Honour

Given that Corbyn routinely blames may for not having all her mps support her position, I think it is.

10. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Bit of a difference between a rebellion of 8 and a rebellion of 118 though isn't there? Don't get me wrong Corbyn has had his periods of dissension within the party but in terms of recent Brexit voting the two just aren't in the same league.

11. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

Corbyn as party leader inherited the New Labour PLP who promptly went into a very public continuous series of planned coups to remove him. They all failed and as time went by his groups influence and control increased within the Labour Party. In comparison the conservatives have had a bitter, public battle going on for years now while actually in government.

12. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Especially when it includes known wreckers like Kate "Spoke At A Fascist Rally" Hoey. Corbyn's only fault regarding Hoey, Stringer and Mann is continuing to let them remain in the party after blocking "No No Deal" three times while Alastair Campbell is kicked out for one vote in one specific election.

13. Dolph

Man of Honour

It's not the new labour lot that support corbyn's desire for brexit...

14. StriderX

Capodecina

Be honest now, their disagreements with Corbyn is only compounded by that, not the source of.

15. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

But referring back to your comment I replied to the conservatives have much more significant problems with internal fighting over years now and it is all very public which is not good for an actual government trying to resolve brexit.

16. chrcoluk

Mobster

Would be a bad thing as then the left have no big party to represent them again as miliband was too far to the right.

17. ColdAsIce

Mobster

Choose the correct Brother this time instead.

18. JeditOjanen

Mobster

They did the first time. David Miliband is a straight up Red Tory.

It wouldn't have mattered anyway, though, with the media we have. The same people who call Corbyn an anti-Semite for saying "You know, maybe Israel shouldn't commit genocide" were also laughing at Jewish Ed Miliband for eating a bacon sandwich funny without the slightest trace of irony.

19. efish

Wise Guy

Who knows what happens if they get Boris, popular within the rank and file but a lot of the more center leading senior members of the party truly fear him destroying the party and the country as they view him as entirely unsuited for high office ( a view long held before his support of Brexit). Even by conservative standards I think the level of internal animosity towards Boris is unusual in its intensity.

20. terley

Wise Guy

Without wanting to start a game of whataboutery, can anyone explain to me how and why the labour party are so insistant on far-left ideologies such as equality of outcome, racial and identity politics and quotas to create an artificial smorgasbord of ethnicities and genders to show how woke they are?

You CANNOT tell me that Dianne Abbott was the best candidate for the role of shadow home secretary... She is there because she was the first black female MP.