1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Labour Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by q974739, Nov 25, 2015.

1. efish

Wise Guy

She is a prominent member of the left who supported Corbyn's leadership bid. Standard tribalism. Not sure why you think racial and identity politics is the preserve of the far left the right have been known to dip a toe into those muddy waters. Like bewailing the smorgasbord of ethnic diffrences that plague the land for example.

What is it about U.K politics that suggest to you that the most talented and able person gets the top job?

2. robgmun

Capodecina

More likely she's there in that position because her and Corbyn used to bang

3. chroniclard

Capodecina

Perhaps she is there because she is a very strong MP going by her constituency. Very safe Labour seat of course but 75% of the vote last time. Cant really comment on the quality of her work, may or may not actually be an effective MP, seems a little out of her depth at times in the public eye though.

4. JeditOjanen

Mobster

She's there because she's loyal. Corbyn's first choice for shadow Home Secretary was Andy Burnham, who then tried to oust Corbyn in the Chicken Coup.

5. StriderX

Capodecina

If only this wasn't a misogynistic bigotry that's been common in the workplace for decades...

6. ricid

Gangster

It's worse than that, they voted against handing power to Labour for a day. They could have supported that and still voted against anything that actually ruled out no deal.

7. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

Interesting letter signed by 26 Labour MP's wanting a deal on Brexit by the 31st of October.

The MP's are; Sir Kevin Barron, Sarah Champion, Julie Cooper, Rosie Cooper, Jon Cruddas, Gloria De Piero, Jim Fitzpatrick, Caroline Flint, Yvonne Fovargue, Grahame Morris, Mary Glindon, Lisa Nandy, Mike Hill, Melanie Onn, Dan Jarvis, Stephanie Peacock, Stephen Kinnock, Jo Platt, Emma Lewell Buck, Dennis Skinner, Justin Madders, Laura Smith, John Mann, Gareth Snell, Jim McMahon, Ruth Smeeth.

8. terley

Wise Guy

Seems about right, but it is become more and more clear that corbyn wants a general election and the descruction of the conservative party more than delivering the peoples wishes.. Kind of a forshadowing of his own intents trumping that of his people if he did become PM imo.

9. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Hmm, there's a name I didn't expect to see on that letter. I thought better of him.

10. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I think I know who your talking about. I was surprised to see his name there too. Also another name on the list is the MP next door to me. I'm surprised because he represents a very mixed area. He always comes across as a bit of a yes man to whoever is leading.

There seems to be a strain of the left that is anti-EU. Last week I saw Farage holding up a copy of the Workers magazine which is associated with a communist party.

11. Mr Jack

Capodecina

The name I bolded, perhaps a bit less obvious than I thought it'd be.

12. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

Oops.. I didnt notice the bolding. I was thinking you meant Stephen Kinnock.

13. doodah

Capodecina

Cobyn getting his priorities right yet again. At the same time he's getting trounced for dithering, with Abbot even saying she's worried about it - Labour decide to let back in one of Corbyn's allies (who was suspended). A pressing issue clearly.

Dolph - you're slipping ;):p.

14. Dolph

Man of Honour

Ready your apologia gentlemen.

15. Dolph

Man of Honour

Staff too.

You're going to need to double down people

16. doodah

Capodecina

Gobsmacked how he thought the would look/end well. Swift with this BS and the ultimate ditherer in everthing else.

17. Rroff

Man of Honour

Have to say surprised at some of the names on there - some who wouldn't be a part of using something like this as a power move against Corbyn, etc. and would normally defensively try to obfuscate or mire the waters to deflect attention so must be actually something fairly concerning for them (maybe they just don't like Chris Williamson that much).

18. Murphy

Wise Guy

Does anyone, he's always come across as an ideologue to me, then again i guess Corbyn is the same and got elected as leader for exactly that reason.

19. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

The only thing in his favour is ensuring this remains a 100% Tory mess as they will be unelectable(unless Johnston really screws up big time)

20. terley

Wise Guy

As someone who hates the labour party as it currently is..

I find the anti-semitism claims to be absolute fiction based on a moralistic standpoint similar to those of the LGBTQ+ community.. If you have any questions at all about the legitimacy of the state of isreal you are deemed a raging anti-semite.

The lunacy of those 63 MPs putting a name to a letter saying that somone who is clearly by any rational standpoint NOT an anti-semite makes them feel "unsafe at work" makes me seriously doubt the credibility of the party as a whole.