1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Labour Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by q974739, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Usher

Mobster

They won't have time for politics, they're starring in the remake of the 1930's film 'The Three Stooges' starring Corbyn, Abbot and Mcdonnell

2. robgmun

Capodecina

Have a little look

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leade..._general_election#Leadership_approval_ratings

You might want to have a little sit down before you get to Corbyn's ;)

Leadership approval opinion polling has always been about how less negative you can get. Boris is the only leader for a long time that actually positive overall. +2% While Corbyn's is on -40%

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

The other thing that a good opposition will do is bring the government back towards the centre. The reason the Tories have been able to go full nutter is that they still, to many people, look better than the alternative.

4. Scania

Capodecina

I remember the name, but not the (I'm guessing) implosion, what happened? :)

5. Scania

Capodecina

That's pretty much my take and that of the many (not the few :p) that I speak to on my travels, the general consensus seems to be the Tories could - if they wished - go a hell of a lot further and still they'd look better than the Labour comedy act front bench, which is scary really!

6. Secret_Window

Mobster

Yup. Pretty much this.

7. chroniclard

Capodecina

Seems pretty low. Not fussed about Corbyn, hes useless. :)

Either way, its all about Brexit as mentioned.

8. XeNoN89

Sgarrista

I don't understand how anyone who has actually seen labours policies could vote for this lunacy.

They want to steal 10% shares of business with over 250 employes and want to give tenants the ability to force landlords to sell their property at a reduced prices.

It's literally insane they would completely destroy the country and do way more damage than a no deal brexit would

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

The worst problem is a lot of these kind of policies by Labour pushed by some of influence who lack pragmatism is that they would miss the intended target and wreak havoc for essentially innocent people. For instance it seems poorly accepted or understood that rich people and big businesses aren't just going to just be static targets who don't change to circumstances and try and in fact will try to avoid these kind of things and as they dodge out the way the onus will land on those who are also, more innocently, in the cone of the scatter gun but less minded or able to get out the way.

10. Murphy

Mobster

Sorry that was clumsily worded by me, i should have said there won't be a Palestine, although without Palestine can there be Palestinians? That's not a trick question as i simply don't know much about the Palestinian people, would i (everyone) still call them Palestinians if Palestine ceased to exist?

11. Evangelion

Capodecina

The only 'Palestine' that's ever existed is the Jewish state of Israel, which was called Palestine by the Romans. There has never been an Arab state called Palestine, so we cannot talk of Palestine 'ceasing to exist.'

The people calling themselves Palestinians have no unique ethnicity, history, or culture; they're an assortment of Arabs from the general region of Israel and surrounding areas, who originally called themselves Palestinian Arabs. It wasn't until the invention of Palestinian nationalism in the 1950s that they finally appropriated the name 'Palestinians.'

This led to the founding of the Palestinian Liberation Organisation in 1964, with the stated aim of seizing the entire region of the original British mandate by force, and prohibiting Zionism (eliminating the Jewish state).

Palestinian leaders of previous decades have been very open about the fact that Palestinian identity is an artificial construct conceived solely for political reasons:

The people calling themselves Palestinians would obviously continue to exist even if they lost the Palestinian territories, but that's obviously not going to happen because they're busy out-breeding the Israelis, and still hope to wipe them off the map one day.

12. Dolph

Man of Honour

You should know by now that reality doesn't matter when the call for apologists for left wing antisemitism sounds.

13. Murphy

Mobster

Wow, that's a bit harsh considering i apologized and confessed to not knowing a great deal about Palestine, other than being anti the way Israel are treating them (it?). It's no wonder why people get a little defensive when they've got people like you accusing them of being apologists and left wing anti-Semites simply for mentioning that they're pro the two state solution and how Israel seem to be treating Palestine rather harshly.

14. Dolph

Man of Honour

Apologies, that wasn't really aimed at you.

15. Pudney

Soldato

I don't like all things tax related, particularly tax related content in the media designed for general public consumption. Because it's made by lay persons with no knowledge or understanding of tax.

16. robgmun

Capodecina

Was listening to a pretty damning interview this morning on the radio where a rabbi is telling everyone to vote for anyone but Labour

17. Murphy

Mobster

Whoops, that was my mistake then, i unintentional crossed your wires. :) :cool:

18. JeditOjanen

Mobster

85% of British Jews vote Conservative and always have done.

Not sure what your problem is with Keith Vaz buying coke for someone else when Gideon Osborne was known to have done lines off a hooker's back - not to mention in the Commons khazis during Parliamentary sessions. I'm going to go with homophobia, if you don't mind.

19. JeditOjanen

Mobster

This is full on Islamophobia, in addition to being wrong from start to finish. Palestine existed as a semi-autonomous Muslim province of the Caliphate and then the Ottoman Empire from the 7th century AD until 1920, interrupted only by periods of conquest during the Crusades. Palestinian Arabs were Palestinian before Israel even existed, and if they were scattered it was only because like the Jews they had also undergone a diaspora; the difference is that unlike the Jews, they remained relatively local. (This is not a criticism of the Jews, BTW; it was simply easier for the Palestinians to remain as they at least shared faith with their changing overlords.)

These are all facts that the Likudniks in the Israeli government want to suppress. That's not to say that Jews don't have a right to live in the region - they have as much historical right as the Palestinians do - but they don't have the sole right to live there, and that's what they want people to believe. It's a program of cultural erasure used in support of ethnic cleansing. So don't you dare ever talk about anti-Semitism in Labour again.

20. Rilot

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.