The last game you completed, and rating.

Associate
the bioshock infinite DLC. Short but sweet!

Great endings to both of them. makes the whole bioshock story into a 9/10 for me. I do still find the combat dislocated and just a little dodgy though.

Soldato
the bioshock infinite DLC. Short but sweet!

Great endings to both of them. makes the whole bioshock story into a 9/10 for me. I do still find the combat dislocated and just a little dodgy though.
So clever they way they tied it all back wasn't it? I wonder if they had planned to tie it back to the first games when they designed the original Infinite story or if they came up with it afterwards...

Soldato
Yeah it really made it. There isnt many games in the FPS genre that have such a good story as that.
No there definitely are not - but then how do you even begin to dream up a story like that? You should check out Singularity if you haven't already - not anywhere near the level of story telling as Bioshock but it's still a pretty cool story and a bit more tongue in cheek, particularly the ending(s).

Soldato
South Park The Fractured But Whole. What can I say, it's a South Park game so if you're a fan of the show then you will love the game - it's like playing through a feature length South Park episode broken up by the RPG style side missions and turn based combat. A decent enough little RPG game in it's own right but sprinkled with that South Park magic made it great game to play through and I'll miss it now that's over. 8/10

Soldato
Evil Within 2

Started fairly strong, gameplay of exploring the bigger area was neat. But second half just went completely in to cringy B movie territory with a really poor story and trying to hard to get an emotional relation to the characters who are poorly written and delivered. It really dragged on towards the end, nothing worse than poor pacing imo.

5-6/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Evil Within 2

Started fairly strong, gameplay of exploring the bigger area was neat. But second half just went completely in to cringy B movie territory with a really poor story and trying to hard to get an emotional relation to the characters who are poorly written and delivered. It really dragged on towards the end, nothing worse than poor pacing imo.

5-6/10
Love a good cringy B movie me! :D

Soldato
Woolfe - The Red Hood Diaries. I'll start with the cons; it's only 2 hours long which probably isn't great value for £6.99 in most peoples books, the combat is really loose - it's almost pot luck as to whether your evasive manoeuvres have any effect and the damage you take seems to selected at random. This all leads to some very frustrating parts at normal or above difficulty which seen me repeating the same parts over and over to try and progress- I ended up dropping the difficulty down to easy. The pro's for the game are that it looked gorgeous, I liked the presentation and music, the story and what they did with the heroine you play Red (Little Miss Riding Hood) - spunky attitude out for revenge and a cracking outfit! I really enjoyed the platforming also, utilising timing and the double jump mechanic to good effect. All in all I cool little game that is ultimately let down by the loose combat but with so few of these types of games around now it's definitely worth a look if you see it on sale, it only lasts 2 hours after all. 6.5/10

Associate
I still can't work out why people like this game! I really really hated it.... when you compare it to the witcher 3 its just a really bad pc ported game.

I actually found TW pretty dull. Fantasy-by-numbers, buxom wenches who all want a bit of the anti-social, stoic loner. It just descened, generally, into fetch-quests. Furthermore, with combat featuring so heavily in the game, it was laughably bad.

Yes, it looked pretty and had boobies. But, apart form a couple of quests, it was a very standard affair.

Dark Souls is about learning and becoming fluent: you can always get smacked around by the easiest of enemies if you make an error. However, the feeling of achievement is unparalleled. TW lacks that. You level up and become unstoppable (which makes no sense in an overarching view, as you are supposed to be a machine at first). DS is different.

Personally, I think the atmosphere and complex lore is the icing. The overriding feeling of despair and futility, punctuated by small (and big) victories and into more sadness, of gods forgotten and battling once-proud heroes.

Nothing comes close. TW, in comparison, is an ARPG full of breasts.

Soldato
Outlast Whistleblower DLC. Picked this as the last few 'horror' games I chose to play weren't particularly scary. The Outlast games have always induced genuine terror in me and this didn't disappoint. Loved the last half hour in particular with the psycho who took a wee shine to me and... well I'll say no more. 8/10

Associate
I finished off Alien Isolation last week.

If you like horror games with a lot of suspense then this has to be up there.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. 9/10

Soldato
Virginia - walking simulator type game that's all music and no dialogue. The game won lots of awards and there were definitely some cool and surreal moments but I just couldn't follow what was going. Maybe if I'd have played it before my final smoke of the evening each day I would have been able to grasp it better. Alas, I wanted to like it more than I did as I just didn't get it. 6/10.

Back
Top Bottom