The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Just finished the main quest lines in AC Odyssey.

Game is pretty, world is lovely, combat is fun, story line is great - 8/10

By way of contrast AC Origins just did not grab me at all - 5/10

Associate
Rome 2 with DEI mod. Loved it - long time coming because I haven't had a machine to play it on but used to play the old Total War games.

With DEI - 9/10
Without - 7/10

Soldato
Battlechasers: Nightwar -8.5/10

A great turn based RPG that I did not know of, but was on Xbox game pass. Was a blast to play through it but their are some annoyances. The Visuals look great if you like that JRPG style (though not quiet as heavy) run's smooth, combat is fun as is changing and swapping builds. The Primary story is solid, mostly there to keep game moving really.

Combat is fun, but a slight grind element to it. Effectively multiple area's and each has a dungeon in, but need to keep on top of levelling to counter enemies. By the end though can make stupid OP builds. Other issue with game is there are 6 characters, you have party of 3, the players not in the party do not level up which means in a way you will stick with certain dynamics.

+ Art Style
+ Combat is fun
+ Lots of options and build styles
+ decent amount of content (well worth a try if you have XGP and like this type of game)
+ Plenty of upgrading options / potions / enchantment etc

= Story is passable
= sometimes dealing with trash mobs overland as they re spawn when you rest can be annoying

- Grind elements at time
- Some things need to be repeated to get certain items

Soldato
Mutant year zero : Road to Eden 7/10

Loved the characters and the tactics involved as your always outnumbered and the enemies always have more health regardless of level so can be a challange.

The characters themselves are great but you never really have to use em all which is a shame nor does it encoueyou to mix up the party

Quite a few potential big bugs in the game but if you avoid em or see past them it's great

Associate
Unavowed 7/10

It's billed as an RPG adventure game, but it really is just an adventure game that has slightly different dialogue and approaches to some puzzles depending on which team members you pick.

It was charming enough but let down by some obtuse puzzles and a bit of an antiimatic ending. Fun enough whilst it lasted though.

Soldato
Borderlands 1 - 8/10

I have never played any of them, and after seeing BL3 decided to give the first one a go, I am not usually a fan of FPS type games but, the art style really grabbed me so decided to give it a go and within a few hours I was hooked. I loved some of the characters, I genuinely found myself enjoying playing it which is what gaming should be all about

Looking forward to playing through Borderlands 2 now :)

Dooby-doo-doob-doo-doo Aha!

Soldato
Gears of War 4 - 6/10

Pros:
  • Looked great
  • Performed great
  • Easy shooter (pick up and drop as required)

Cons:
  • Very repetitive
  • Not very challenging (Couldn't get immersed for more than an hour or so)
  • Single player campaign was relatively short
I could've picked up Gears 5 on the strength of this, but seeing a lot of negativity regarding micro transactions etc. so I'd rather not encourage that.

Soldato
Ghost Recon Wildlands. I played it for free for a month as part of the Ubisoft trial thingy. Although I didn't complete it and the typical Ubisoft game design grated on me a bit, I quite enjoyed it. 6/10.

Associate
Gears of War 4 - 6/10

Pros:
  • Looked great
  • Performed great
  • Easy shooter (pick up and drop as required)

Cons:
  • Very repetitive
  • Not very challenging (Couldn't get immersed for more than an hour or so)
  • Single player campaign was relatively short
I could've picked up Gears 5 on the strength of this, but seeing a lot of negativity regarding micro transactions etc. so I'd rather not encourage that.

I am currently playing though this and my feelings are exactly the same as yours.

Soldato
South Park: The Fractured But Whole - 7.5/10

A pretty solid game overall. If you liked the first one, will like this one. I don't watch the shows, but like first game, enjoyed the parody, shock jokes etc. The overall story is actually pretty decent, and while not amazing, keeps things flowing well. There is a fair bit of flexibility in how you make your builds, but with limited number of slots mean you are limited once in combat. Combat in itself is pretty easy however for most the part. Their is an expansion, danger deck though which adds harder battles to the games. Worth a buy IMO if you liked and played first game and fan of the genera. I would say keep eye on sales, got base game for £6 from cdkeys and Uplay had sale on for Southpark games at same time so grabbed DLC I wanted for £4. So for the £10 paid, well worth it.

Pros
  • voice acting is great
  • Art Style works really well
  • Plays very smooth
  • Customisation deeper then you may initially think
Neutral
  • Jokes and gag's are funny, but can get a bit old
  • Combat is pretty fun at start but does get tedious towards end
  • Story
Cons
  • No real negative to note

Soldato
@tek81 I agree, I'm struggling with AC: Odyssey for the same reason.

Checklist gaming, Ubi are renown for it and most of the world is filled with mediocre outposts to take over, it's very repetitive and grindy. Side missions are very similar as well. That and the world feels exactly the same all over.

Origins felt more original, if you've not played that, try it. Whilst it doesn't have the loot system from Odyssey, it's better in all other aspects.

Soldato
Origins felt more original, if you've not played that, try it. Whilst it doesn't have the loot system from Odyssey, it's better in all other aspects.

Couldn't disagree more. Whilst I prefer the combat of Origins as I feel it had more weight to it, I can't really think of anything else Origins is better at.... Maybe the setting but they are both excellent gameworlds. For me Odyssey has a far better story, characters, protagonist, mercenary system, naval combat, exploration, weapons and armour. The only thing I don't like about Odyssey is the animations which I feel are too arcadey. Everything feels too fast imo.

Soldato
Couldn't disagree more. Whilst I prefer the combat of Origins as I feel it had more weight to it, I can't really think of anything else Origins is better at.... Maybe the setting but they are both excellent gameworlds. For me Odyssey has a far better story, characters, protagonist, mercenary system, naval combat, exploration, weapons and armour. The only thing I don't like about Odyssey is the animations which I feel are too arcadey. Everything feels too fast imo.

Odd, maybe I need to invest more time into it then? Hmmm, thanks for the insight.

What are your thoughts on the world it's self? I felt it just felt the same no matter where I was, am I missing something?

I LOVE AC so would love nothing more than to finally click with Odyssey as it's gotten great praise. I think I'm just missing the beat.

Soldato
I was really disappointed by this, especially after hearing hype about how good the campaign was. The traversal was good though.

Yes, it was good, but not as amazing as people were making out. I presume these are younger players who have never experienced the golden age of single player games when it wasn't all about online multiplayer.

Soldato
Odd, maybe I need to invest more time into it then? Hmmm, thanks for the insight.

What are your thoughts on the world it's self? I felt it just felt the same no matter where I was, am I missing something?

I LOVE AC so would love nothing more than to finally click with Odyssey as it's gotten great praise. I think I'm just missing the beat.
The world is great. It is a bit samey, and if there was one thing I'd say against it it would be that there isn't enough variation between towns. However, each region/island does have its own story arc so you can travel to one island and help a pirate overthrow the leader, then go to another island and do a whole quest line searching for a mythical creature. The structure really is great, and the world compliments it perfectly imo. It is like lots of little stories adding up to a great overall experience.

Soldato
Just completed Witcher 3 base game. 10/10

My only real gripe and not even a gripe, is that it took me 60 hours to complete which has eaten into my 2 months for £2 of xbox game pass ultimate for pc (as my tiny brain can only handle 1 big game at a time)

Will look towards doing the DLC towards Christmas/New Year!

Back
Top Bottom