The Last Kingdom - new series for BBC based on Bernard Cornwell's Saxon stories

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/the-last-kingdom

This was announced about a month ago but I've only just found out about it. Any Cornwell fans in here? Excited?

For the uninitiated, Bernard Cornwell wrote Sharpe, and this series is a bit like Sharpe except it's Saxons vs Vikings in the 9th century.

It seems like this is being dubbed 'BBC's answer to Game of Thrones', except based in Britain and has real historical people, namely King Alfred.

Soldato
I've had thebooks in my reading queue for a while, as they sounded great.

It seems like this is being dubbed 'BBC's answer to Game of Thrones',
This, however, just makes it sound like a load of sex-ridden, sensationalist toss...

I hope it'll be good, like Vikings, but I expect it will be just more schlock.

Soldato
Series 2 confirmed to be starting on BBC 16th March.

Series 1 was OK if a bit disjointed in that they tried to cram 2 1/2 books into a single series and melded charaters into one. Hope this one is better.

Caporegime
They really need to sort out the timelines and geography of this story. Last night's episode made it seem like Uhtred rode from Lichfield to York in a day, while Father Beocca managed to teleport from Winchester to York on the same day. Also made it seem that Cumberland and York are close to each other. That said, still better than most things on TV these days, and that nun seems to be an interesting character (how often can you say that these days?) :)

Back
Top Bottom