US: The Last Kingdom - Yes it's better than Game of Thrones

Soldato
Having read the first 3 books, and part of the way through the 4th, I was very excited to find out that The Last Kingdom has been made into a TV series by BBC Worldwide/America, and it's due to start next month :D.

There are obvious comparisons with Game of Thrones, what with it including men with swords running around fighting and killing, but it's the story that will hopefully get people hooked. There will also be a lack of breasts and bums, so I'm sure some people won't watch it because of that :). I love Bernard Cornwells style of writing and story telling, the books just pull me along and I struggle to put them down, so I hope the producers have been able to translate this to the TV series and not changed too much. The one thing that does worry me looking at the trailer, is that might just skim over Uhtred's childhood which would be a shame, as that is a massive part of his story, which is the story.

I don't suppose that the production will be quite up with Game of Thrones, but I can live with that so long as the story is as good as it is in the books. Basically, I can't wait for it to start!

Caporegime
Trailer make it look almost exactly like Vikings, but that's probably because it appears to be the same time period.

Not that that's a bad thing, I like Vikings.

Anyone know what it's going to be available on yet? TV, Prime/Netflix?

Associate
Soldato
Trailer make it look almost exactly like Vikings, but that's probably because it appears to be the same time period.

Not that that's a bad thing, I like Vikings.

The cast made Vikings though, this needs a good lead. Without Ragnar Vikings just wouldn't be as good.

Oh and lagatha.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Looks good but yeah as said before could have just been another episode of vikings it will needs its own ragnar to survive though.

Soldato
The cast made Vikings though, this needs a good lead. Without Ragnar Vikings just wouldn't be as good.

Oh and lagatha.

Rutger Hauer is in it, it's already win ;)

It's based on a great set of books and rather cleverly if it was intended (as a bit of a cash in of the success of) set in the generation after Vikings (if Vikings pans out with the vague historical time table it's followed so far). I've always felt that Uhtred is a much better Bernard Cornwell character than Sharpe as well.

Really looking forward to this in a big way and some of the reviews I've seen of Episode 1 being shown by BBC America this weekend (10th Oct) are positive.

We are getting it Thursday 22nd October, 9pm, BBC2

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks good but yeah as said before could have just been another episode of vikings it will needs its own ragnar to survive though.

You do realise that the books have been around for years, and Cornwell always writes with a strong main character ;)

**Edit** Just noticed the early book covers have already been changed to reflect the new series so there is some real investment behind this :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is Uhtred/Alfred the Great isn't it? Should be pretty good but I don't expect it'll generate as much interest as GoT. For GoT seasons 1-3 were epic but it's starting to jump the shark a bit now.

Soldato
Sounds interesting, certainly give it a watch.

Catagorically won't be as good as GoT though as it doesn't have ‎Emilia Clarke in it!

This is Uhtred/Alfred the Great isn't it? Should be pretty good but I don't expect it'll generate as much interest as GoT. For GoT seasons 1-3 were epic but it's starting to jump the shark a bit now.
Just rewatched seasons 1-5 and personally I think every season has something to offer. Certainly think 4 and 5 are up there with the better ones.

Back
Top Bottom