1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Liberal Democrat Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by SPG, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPG

Soldato

So Jo Swinson is the new the leader, a step up from Vince Cable in my eyes but does she carry the stigma of voting for uni fees and cuts to benefits in the coalition years ?

I am tempted to vote for them in the next round of whatever happens in truth, or will they forever be in the wasted vote box in the ballet box ?

2. Rilot

Don

Considering that they are the only credible pro-EU and anti-Brexit party, a vote for them is absolutely not wasted. I think Jo Swinson will be good.

3. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

I've voted for the Lib Dems on a number of occasions, though I'd consider myself a floating voter in truth. I like Swinson, I listened to her acceptance speech and she came across as competent and genuine. I think the Lib Dems are pretty nailed on for my vote at the next GE given their stance on Europe, the fact the Tories have stripped the Country through austerity, and some of JC's views on things like public sector ownership.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

I have nothing against her but I don't think she is the leader the party needs to build themselves up at the moment. I think she understands the fight ahead but just doesn't naturally have what it will take to reach out beyond the party's traditional core membership.

5. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Lib Dem’s sound good in principle. She really needs to step up and be heard, create a new progressive feel for the party - have an image.

Once again, I’ll end up torn between Lib Dem’s and the greens (the latter purely because they have a chance in Bristol... a handful of green MPs, prioritising the environment, can’t be a bad thing - and they will probably back Lib Dem policies anyway)

6. EdwardTeach

Mobster

I will likely vote lib demon the next election, I normally do. I find the selfishness and heartlessness of the tories repugnant so I can't see myself ever voting for them. I've never voted Labour, though at times I will agree with some of their policies. They are the party of the working class, in more working class and don't feel at home there. So I'm stuck voting for a party that will never win an election!

7. efish

Wise Guy

Her record on voting with the conservatives on austerity and welfare issues is really dire unless you take a right wing perspective on these issues.

I could not vote for her, but her seat is also up in the air so she may not be in place past the next election.

I would go green good for the country good for Bristol.

8. terley

Wise Guy

My dad will be rolling in his grave knowing that the lib dems have become such a schill for the EU.

9. ltron

Wise Guy

She was voting with the government as other senior Lib Dem MPs did. In return, Conservatives voted for things they would not otherwise have, like gay marriage which was a Lib Dem manifesto commitment (for which the Conservatives took the credit, another sign of Clegg's weakness), it was a compromise arrangement. Now I think the Lib Dems compromised too much in coalition under Nick Clegg even though they were very much the junior partner. Now, guess who shares this view. That's right, Jo Swinson: https://www.theguardian.com/politic...son-youthful-veteran-natural-heir-vince-cable

Remember, the Lib Dems have voted against every single Conservative austerity budget since leaving coalition and have shown a willingness to learn from their mistakes with Swinson.

10. ltron

Wise Guy

I'm glad we've finally got our own thread by the way.

11. LOAM

Capodecina

She's one of a few I have much time for, I think it's good times ahead for the Dems

12. efish

Wise Guy

I take you're point.

My partners uncle worked as a car mechanic, from age 16 until the age of 60 when he developed severe issues with diabetes. Denied any support, told he was fit for work, forced into a job he was not fit to do, he died two weeks later, leaving a wife and three kids.

Hindsight is a good thing as is learning from you're mistakes.

To late for me, her voting record and the effect it had on millions of vulnerable people. To much to ask.
    Not minded to give a second chance having experienced what the effects of what she voted for played out in real life.

Pity Charlie Kennedy developed a drink issue. Sadly missed.

13. GordyR

Mobster

I'm on board. The Lib-Dems are certainly the only party that speak for me both socially and economically at the moment.

In fact, they seem to be the only party remotely interested in dealing with reality at all.

However, I should be absolutely honest...

I will vote tactically in as pro-remain a way as possible for the foreseeable future, whoever that may be at the time.

14. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Does anyone think the LDs would throw their supporters under the bus again if they got a chance to form another coalition?

15. StriderX

Capodecina

Lib Dems need to start campaigning now if they want to get anywhere, and their first policy HAS to be proportional representation, it doesnt matter if brexit does or doesnt happen, that is the only policy for which they can benefit immensely and garner huge support to do it.

They need to do it before the BP gets there.

16. GordyR

Mobster

I totally agree with this.

17. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Here's a fun fact for you - during the coalition years Jo Swinson followed the Tory whip more often than Jeremy Hunt.

This is why we don't have a Lib Dem thread. Anything you say about them can be said in the Conservative thread.

18. ltron

Wise Guy

I agree that the welfare cuts in coalition were abhorrent and although I don't absolve the Lib Dems of blame I think they were caused in the main by the Conservatives. The Lib Dems have floated the idea of a universal basic income, they also pledged to scrap both the bedroom tax and the even more unjust work capability assessment entirely. They also pledged to increase benefits at least in line with inflation. Have a look at their 2017 manifesto under 'families and communities', some of the other policies are well worth looking at too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39946809

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  19. ltron

Wise Guy

It's already here in their 2017 manifesto using the STV system: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39946809

Hopefully, Jo Swinson will retain this. Although there is nothing to suggest she wouldn't.

20. ltron

Wise Guy

Edit: sorry, didn't realise you had changed your mind on Brexit. I hope they don't throw us under a bus and act with wisdom should the opportunity arise again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.