1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Liberal Democrat Party: Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by SPG, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satchef1

Mobster

Indeed. And then the press reinforce the idea that nothing matters more than personal opinion by hounding Farron about his personal views "as a Christian", hoping for an explosive soundbite. It was quite rediculous.

The famous Evelyn Beatrice Hall quote, summing up the worldview of Voltaire, has always stuck with me as something of a perfect way to describe the Liberal viewpoint:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

It's something of a shame that lately the "Liberal" tag has been used to describe left-wing authoritarianism, rather than true Liberal ideas like the above.

You could surely only be disappointed if you're making assumptions about their views based on how they voted? But they weren't asked "Do you think same sex marriage is a good idea, in principle?". They were asked to vote on a piece of legislation, the detail of which can throw up all sorts of issues.

Specifically, the Marriages (Same Sex Couples) Act had some glaring flaws:

https://www.newstatesman.com/uk-pol...-new-same-sex-marriage-not-yet-equal-marriage

The "Spousal Veto" was particularly controversial.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  2. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Yeah, that is unfair. Liberals are more typically centre-right libertarians. They do seem to have a lot of room for gaybashers, though.

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

Given your constant determination to defend, excuse or minimise every single case of antisemitism from the left, no matter how blatant or extreme, I smell hypocrisy here.

4. Tony Edwards

Mobster

I fear your nose may be too close to your backside in regards to Labour.

5. Rilot

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.