The Liverpool Club Thread. **No Spoilers**

Don
Firstly, please read the below rules, they are very important:

1. These threads are for: tactical/player discussion inbetween weekend matchday threads, injury news, contract renewals, manager press conferences, and general minor news about your club that may not warrant its own thread. Anything that's not regarded as a minor news story must go in it's own thread.

2. No Spoilers! Please keep any discussion about weekend and midweek fixtures to the relevant matchday threads, at least until MOTD has been shown.

3. All transfer talk should be discussed in the dedicated transfers threads. Small rumours, signing of youth players etc outside the transfer window when the transfer threads aren't open are fine.

4. As per forum rules, keep it civil, supporters of any team are welcome to post in all club threads. If you have a problem with a post, RTM it. Trolling or accusations of trolling will not be tolerated.

While all the rules must be listened to, take particular care of the rule regarding spoilers. Any mention of the result or performance, even hinting at it, prior to MOTD will result in a suspension.

Soldato
Fair play.

After what's happened with the Russian athletes and the UFC this week, is there a "common" standard with these tests?

(apologies if I have just messed up with the new club thread rules - delete post if I have)

Last edited:
Don
OP
Fair play.

After what's happened with the Russian athletes and the UFC this week, is there a "common" standard with these tests?

(apologies if I have just messed up with the new club thread rules - delete post if I have)

Your post is fine.

And I have no idea. I started trying to understand the rules when Sakho was first, kind of, cleared and it was confusing as ****. There's different lists of substances, one list is 100% banned and the other list is but isn't banned. So I gave up. All I know is Sakho successfully argued that what he took isn't or shouldn't be on the banned list or the is but isn't list.

Soldato
It's great to know he can be ready for season Sakho with matip or loved should be a good pairing, that's if lovren keeps up his good form under klopp. Gomez being back is also a bonus as like ings before his injury his brief appearances were great for his age

Caporegime
Gutted for Sakho. HE was in a great vein of form before getting banned and it cost him a Europa League final and more importantly a European Championships in his own country where he could've potentially picked up a winners medal.

Good for us though because he'll be fresh going in to the new season with a full preseason under his belt :)

Man of Honour
Good news about Sakho and hope that Lovren continues to kick on as I felt he really turned a corner under Klopp. Now...if we can just sign someone to replace Moreno then the back will look a ton better

Man of Honour
Havent conceded yet in pre-season = Karius for Golden Gloves.

Speaking of which, what do people think, reckon Mignolet will still be number 1 or do you think the young german will take the first team gloves?

Don
OP
It was initially thought that he'd be going to the Olympics and the talk was that he'd be slowly brought into the side. He's now confirmed that having spoke to Klopp they decided that he won't be going to the Olympics which suggests that maybe he's in line to start the season.

Man of Honour
It was initially thought that he'd be going to the Olympics and the talk was that he'd be slowly brought into the side. He's now confirmed that having spoke to Klopp they decided that he won't be going to the Olympics which suggests that maybe he's in line to start the season.

Well well well...considering that our first match is against Arsenal, that is quite the vote of confidence. Wonder what Mignolet makes of that

Soldato
Well well well...considering that our first match is against Arsenal, that is quite the vote of confidence. Wonder what Mignolet makes of that

I suspect Migs may be aware his time as number 1 was up for debate as soon as Klopp swapped him a few times in the season (Rodgers did this also too before his sack), but it back fired due to the fact all our other goal keepers are far worse and suck donkey balls so Migs was pushed back into the 1st team swiftly.

Man of Honour
I have to say that I am massively concerned about our defence. Klopps focus seems to be on attacking players and I look at the defence and it simply is not good enough, in both numbers and quality. Thats the bottom line. It needs strengthening or it will cost us heavily in points.

Don
OP
Generally speaking we defended a lot better as the season went on under Klopp. Sakho and Lovren began to develop a decent partnership and Clyne was more than solid all season. Our defensive problems were the lack of a proper defensive midfielder, Moreno being Moreno and when the Sakho/Lovren partnership was broken up, Skrtel (who has always blown hot and cold) was disasterous.

Now it doesn't look like the DM role will be addressed but hopefully we've got better CB options this season with the arrival of Matip, Klavan and Gomez being available and it appears certain that we'll sign a LB.

I think the biggest thing going for us both gernally and specifically our defence is Klopp having a full pre-season to work with the team and no European football will give him time during the season too. Rodgers was an excellent coach but tactically wasn't great and in particular struggled to organise a defence, and when Klopp arrived we were playing so often he didn't have the chance to do much work on the training ground.

Caporegime
Any substance in the rumours that Sakho has been sent home from the American tour?

100% correct, he's been sent home with no official comment.

Seems his days are numbered.

I also think the video on Alcatraz was very telling for how Klopp reacted, I suspect he's had enough of the messing around and sent him home.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is there no reason given from the club? I just presumed it was because of him treating the pre season like a holiday and arsing a bout a bit.

Caporegime
Nope, from what I saw on Sky sports there was no official word given, there was for the other player who flew back as well, but not for Sakho.

I suspect it's down to his clowning around, Klopp probably found it funny to start with (maybe a little upset by the Alcatraz stuff) and with it continuing and maybe disrupting the training for the others who are fit decided enough was enough and sent him back to Liverpool. Press probably going to town with the fact and it will be curtains, but I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom