The Liverpool Club Thread. **No Spoilers**

Soldato
He isnt played...even when fit. Hes started 12 times this season i believe and hes usually played a lot deeper then you would expect him to at Liverpool.

Henderson and Can average about 3 a season aswell...we are still the leading (or second, cant remember) scorers in the league.

Don
OP
I strongly suspect the link is being driven by his agent rather than us. We were linked with him in January and Klopp made it very clear it was nonsense. Despite that, there would be some logic to the deal.

Yes there are positions that need improving more urgently but the two positions where we're absolutely threadbare are the Lallana/Wijnaldum box to box/attacking midfield roles and on the wing. Other than Mane we have absolutely nobody that offers us any width and pace, and when you've got Coutinho playing on the other wing we really struggle for pace and width in our attacks without him. Similarly, a big reason for our success this season has been our unorthodox midfield 3 - the work rate, energy and creativity of Lallana and Wijnaldum were pivotal to our success early in the season but we have nobody else in the squad that can play those roles. An injury to one of them and we're suddenly having to change how we play.

Oxlade-Chamberlain isn't the ultimate answer to cover/compete with Mane, we need better than him but he could do a job. The midfield role is more interesting though - there aren't many players that have the characteristics to play the two advanced midfield roles Klopp likes but he's somebody that looks like he could play that role. He's got the energy and intensity to get around the pitch and lead our pressing as Lallana and Wijnaldum do, being naturally a forward he has the creativity and he has some experience of playing in midfield too.

Talk of £35m is fanciful to say the least. Even in today's market, with just one year left on his deal and there not likely to be a host of big clubs lining up to sign him Arsenal would do well to get much more than £20m for him. As for his injury record - I've not checked but I've read a few people suggest that this is massively overplayed.

Soldato
Hes always available just rarely starts. Wenger has an obsession with Coqueline for some bizarre reason.

Id be up for him and say Keita coming in for sure. Can needs a new deal aswell, probably our best midfielder at the minute.

Soldato
nice to see moreno showing me up with my "he has a decent shot comment", when are they selling him ? :D

for me the miss was more about bad decision making/being greedy than a poor shot, 3 opposition players around him 2 team mates to his right totally free and he shoots :confused:

as for ox, not seen anything to show he'd be any better for liverpool than he has been for arsenal.

forgot markovic is out on loan at hull, not seen much of him, spent 20m or so on him, with the lack of depth to the squad is he likely to be kept or sold by next season ?

Don
OP
Yea, the fact that Klopp was happy to go without any cover for Mane rather than keep him says everything. He, like a couple of others, were collateral damage in the war between Rodgers and the board and never got a fair chance though.

I've had a quick look at Ox's injury record for myself and it's a bit hit and miss. Overall he's missed 77 games over 6 seasons which isn't that terrible, especially when you consider 30 of those were through one single long-term injury. His problem is that from 13/14 to 15/16 he missed 72 of those 77 games - for 3 seasons he was injured for pretty much 50% of Arsenal's games. He's been injury free this season though.

Soldato
If we sign Ox for 25 mil and in two seasons it doesn't work out...how much we getting for him ?

A similar fee?

Young, English, bags of potential, quick , strong...ill take it...as long as we get another.

Don
OP
As I've said recently regarding Utd and Lingard, if it doesn't work out we'll struggle to sell him at all, let alone get a similar fee.

In two seasons time (by the time the season starts anyway) he'll be 26 years old and if he failed to make it with us, having already failed to establish himself at Arsenal, the only way is down for him. A 26 year old that's failed at two big clubs and likely to be earning close to £100k per week isn't going to be an easy sell. The likes of West Ham might be able to pay players £100k per week now but they're only going to pay it to players they desperately want.

That all said, I don't mind the idea of signing him. What I said above applies to any transfer we make and the raw materials are there with him - his injury record is a concern though. If the 3 seasons between 13/14 and 15/16 are behind him then at £20m odd he's a decent gamble.

Don
OP
1 year left on his contract, who is going to pay more than that for him? As I initially said, I'm very doubtful that we're after him tbh.

Don
OP
1 year left? forgot about that, yea it'll be closer to 20. I hope you're not after him but i reckon theres some truth to it
None of the stories have come from journo's Liverpool's end which makes me think it's his agent spreading the story to improve his bargaining position with Arsenal. Without an alternative option, which I can't see he's got, Arsenal hold all the cards in his contract talks.

Back
Top Bottom