The Long Awaited: Fresh build

Associate
Greetings fellow OCUK forumites - it's been a while.

The time has come for me to enjoy the endeavor of specing out and building a new PC. I've had my trusty OCUK bought i7 920/r2e rig for 6 years or so and I now feel there has been enough movement in the hardware space to justify an almighty upgrade; I have also taken up a new position and wish to have a rig at both locations (home and work) - totally justified :cool:

So I shall be looking to put a full build together - budget is fairly flexible, comfortably reaching into the £1k ballpark - don't intend to compromise on spec, but don't intend to take the financial hit just to get the highest fps possible.

Any and all guidance is welcomed - I shall be doing my own research to facilitate, but advice from those with a current understanding of the market re hardware would be invaluable.

General 'enthusiast' usage - gaming, browsing, vm, etc

edit:

100% fresh build - i may juggle some HDD's around, but ultimately I need all components for a fresh from scratch 'tower' build.

Don't worry about OS or Peripherals (inc. monitor - Likely to be running 2x 27" 1440p or something to that effect); I'll decide upon them in due course, since they are highly dependent on user preference. I have windows licenses at hand anyway.

No constraints on form factor (ITX / mATX / ATX / EATX)

Danke ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have a Windows licence? Do you need a monitor? Which resolution? What size should the PC be? (ITX / mATX / ATX / EATX) Note that the GTX 1060 is being launched next week so it may be worth holding off for the moment.

Associate
OP
Do you have a Windows licence? Do you need a monitor? Which resolution? What size should the PC be? (ITX / mATX / ATX / EATX) Note that the GTX 1060 is being launched next week so it may be worth holding off for the moment.

Got licence.

Do need monitor, don't need to factor it into the build though, it is likely to be 1440p 144hz - inclined to go freesync.

Form factor not an issue.

I did hear about the 1060 - what £ is it coming in at?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses folks:

Regarding graphics cards - I've noticed the 1070 and the rx480 - how about the fury? Which seems to be priced squarely in the middle. At £300 it certainly looks interesting. Even though it does have HBM, would the 4gb be of concern? i.e. enough to futureproof.

Decided on a 144hz 1440p monitor - thinking freesync? looks much cheaper once factoring in GFX as well.

Thinking of going 5820k build - seems to be a bit of a sweet spot.

Also - m.2 or SATA SSD? Specifically, 850 evo vs 950 pro

Associate
OP
Will 4GB really be an issue with the higher throughput and better management?

I am surprised about HDMI 2 or DP 1.4 - does that mean its even possible to output 1440p @ 144hz with the Fury? (or even the R9 390?) With this coming to light it would seem an NVIDIA option may be the best choice currently... although their support for legacy hardware is shocking.

Back
Top Bottom