The Long way home

Soldato
So all being well I'll be picking a new car up mid-September. Slight complication being I'm in the East Midlands and the car is in Belfast :D
So which way home would you go? And what detours would you recommend? Don't go mad though, I want to do the round trip in a day although if it's worth it I could make an overnight stop somewhere.
Fly to Belfast early morning. On a boat by lunch and drive home all eve :)

RkRArI5.jpg

Soldato
Ferry to Stranraer into Carlisle, tick off the lakes with some decent roads and a bit of lunch, down the M6, then snakes pass through the peaks.

Associate
Don't fancy getting a ferry over the the Isle of Man and opening up the throttle a little bit? That's certainly what I'd do if I was picking up a TTS.

Soldato
OP
Ferry to Stranraer into Carlisle, tick off the lakes with some decent roads and a bit of lunch, down the M6, then snakes pass through the peaks.

Sounds like a fair shout.

Although Dublin and N. Wales doesn't seem like a bad idea seeing as I've never been to Dublin. Would plan to stay overnight there if that was the case.

Soldato
I'd make it even longer and do mid-Wales up through Snowdonia to Holyhead, or make it really long and do mid-Wales, down the A487 to Fishguard, ferry to Rosslare and then drive up the Irish coast. Or those in reverse, now that I actually read the post.

Soldato
I bought the M5 from Belfast. Was at Belfast city at 9am, drove to Dublin, Dublin to Holyhead ferry, drive home to south coast. Hit a fair bit of rush hour traffic, but I wouldn't have changed that journey for the world

Soldato
I did this exact journey 12 months ago to pick up my car from Belfast, only I started in Ipswich. I took the train down to Stratford and flew to Belfast from City Airport. Had a quick test drive, bought it, then had a couple of hours drive up to Antrim and down the east side of Lough Neagh before heading for the ferry.

Got the ferry to Cairnryan and then drove the A75 (great road in parts) until Gretna before slogging it back on the motorway. Did it all in a day, but it was very long - about 19 hours door to door. Very much worth it though.

Back
Top Bottom